1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mover's connection question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Jared701, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Jared701

Jared701 Legend

Sep 9, 2008
    I have somewhere around 6 months left on my contract. From what I understand mover's connection does not add time to the contract. I am graduating soon and due to the economy moving back with my parents for a year or 2 until I get a decent job and back on my feet. I currently have one hd dvr and would like to add another hd dvr and 2 sd dvrs. I realize this is another $15/month in mirroring fees. I don't really have the money for the full upfront lease costs (I believe it is 400 - 100 from a dvr or hd upgrade already included with mover's connection?) My parents don't have cable and I already told them that I would handle the bill for anything I added.

I'm wondering if directv would possibly give me a discounted price on the receivers since I have always paid my bill immediately (have automatic bill pay on) and always kept at least choice plus with hd or whatever the package is called that is currently $80/month. Under the terms of the movers connection it says that movers connection is "only available to qualifying customers only" and does not fully explain what that entails but only gives some factors and says they consider other factors. If D* won't reduce the price upfront for the other receivers I've considered simply taking the 1 and keeping it until my contract is up and then dumping D*. I'm afraid if I ask them about adding and they say no and then I'm honest with them what I plan that they will then claim that I'm not eligible for movers connection from one of the other factors.

Other than calling them up and without telling them anything asking if I qualify for movers connection first what would my best plan be? Is it likely that directv may waive some of the upfront costs to lock me into another 2 year commitment?

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    If you qualify and take the free movers, then that comes with a commitment. 1 year I think. Have to read the fine print.

Adding any additional new receiver will trigger the 2 year commitment.

As for discounts on the additional boxes, hard to say what they would do. Highly unlikely you'll get 3 for free.

3. Jared701

Jared701 Legend

Sep 9, 2008
    You may be right that it comes with an extension to the contract but they definately do not state it in the terms and conditions for mover's connection if it does.

"DIRECTV MOVERS CONNECTION:: Offer available once in any 12 month period for qualifying customers only. Qualifications based on tenure, package level, payment history and other factors. Sports blackouts and your ability to receive local channels or broadcast networks may be affected by new address. STARZ AND SHOWTIME OFFER: Eligibility based upon current package subscription. Other conditions apply. Ask for details. EQUIPMENT UPGRADE OFFER: Free to qualifying customers only. Customer must pay a $19.95 delivery and handling fee per order. Qualifications based on tenure, package level, payment history and other factors. Offer requires a program agreement of 12 months for Standard Receivers and 24 months for Advanced Receivers (HD receiver, DVR, or HD DVR) of any DIRECTV base programming package (priced at $29.99/mo. or above), or any international service bundle (lease required, must maintain DVR service and/or HD Access). Lease fee of $5/mo. for second and each additional receiver. DIRECTV System has a feature, which restricts access to channels. To remain eligible, DIRECTV account must remain in "good standing" or bill credits will cease.

Residential customers only. Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change at any time. Pricing is residential. Taxes not included. DIRECTV services are not provided outside the U.S. Receipt of DIRECTV programming is subject to DIRECTV Customer Agreement; copy provided at directv.com/legal and in your first bill. SHOWTIME and related marks are registered trademarks of Showtime Networks Inc., a CBS Company. Starz®: and related channels and service marks are the property of Starz Entertainment, LLC.

©2010 DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV, the Cyclone Design logo, DIRECTV MOVERS CONNECTION are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc."

The only thing there that discussing extending the contract is if you take advantage of getting a new box.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    A Mover's Connection does NOT extend your contract UNLESS you are also UPGRADING (leased) receivers as part of the Mover. Any upgrade of leased receivers will result in a commitment.

5. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    When I did my movers connection in December 2008 I had to sign a two year commitment before the installer did any work. No new boxes at all for me. I actually dropped an old SD receiver that was on the account.

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I believe the original mover's connection may have required the new 2 year agreement. I think they dropped the new agreement requirement last year. Now no new agreement is required. However if you accept their offer of a free receiver upgrade during the move it will come with a new 2 year agreement.

Now back to the original poster's questions.

Pretty much everyone will qualify for the free mover's connection. I have only heard of one person on here that didn't and I still don't understand why he didn't.

As far as the costs go, that can vary. One big factor that I don't think you mentioned is where your parents live (or more importantly what DMA they are in). Let us know that and we can give you more ideas.

7. Jared701

Jared701 Legend

Sep 9, 2008
    They live in the KCMO area. Am I correct that 3 dvr boxes (1 hd, 2 sd) would be 400 in total up front? I know movers takes off an hd box or an sd dvr. I could cover this cost if I absolutely have to but I'm hoping D* will negotiate and be willing to lower the cost to around 100-200. I guess I could also drop the dvr on the 2 sd boxes but that seems like a huge waste and that I would regret it later.

Part of the cost also is that I'm fairly certain the installation will be considered custom work. The house is not prewired with rg6 cable. 3 of the lines (assuming swm) would need to run into the house on the same side and the other would need to be on the opposite side, run through the garage and a hole drilled into to slide the cable into the basement from the garage. On the other side TWC already has wires going to all the appropriate rooms so the hole will just need to be widened a little and an additional wire follow them. My parents will not keep satellite after I leave and get their locals now through TCW and their internet/phone so I need to make sure the tech does not simply use those wires for the satellite or strip them out.

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I just sent you a PM.

9. Jared701

Jared701 Legend

Sep 9, 2008
    They offered me the 3 boxes for $200 so I took the deal (1 sd dvr for free, 100 off the hd dvr and 100 for the other sd dvr). I had a nightmare of a time with the first 2 CSRs repeating what I wanted to order 10 times and then still screwing up the order and hanging up on me. The third one was very friendly and appears to have fixed the order though.

10. M3 Pete

M3 Pete AllStar

Jul 24, 2007
    What HD DVR comes with the Mover's Plan?

I have an HD DVR that I bought a while back when they offered me a $200 credit, and will probably go to two TVs in the new house, so I'll keep the old one.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Whichever one the installer has.