1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mover's Connection Question...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BigEHokie, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigEHokie

BigEHokie Mentor

Sep 22, 2005
    I'm moving in a few months and will be doing the DirecTV mover's connection. I have a question regarding equipment. I've done this before, so I know I leave behind the dish. However, in my latest house, I had a powered multiplexer installed due to the number of tivo units I have. Should I leave the multiplexer when I move or take it with me? Will DirecTV provide another multiplexer without cost?

2. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    If it doesn't ruin the house for you to take the one you have, I'd take it with you.

From D*'s "Mover's Connection" web page: "Once you're at your new place, we'll deliver a satellite dish and provide our standard professional installation."

I don't know exactly what is included in their "standard" professional installation, but if you have a multi-switch that already works for you, why take the chance?

3. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    I just had it done, the multiplexor they put in wasn't powered but they definatley put one in place for me.

4. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Last two times I've moved they've included a powered multiswitch.

5. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Cool. emilesVT, you may want to mention the type of switch when you call them. I guess what I'm thinking is if you've got or are getting HD and the AT9 dish, you may want to specifically mention the Zinwell WB68 switch.

6. Skip Towne

Skip Towne Godfather

Dec 20, 2003
    I'd take it with me. Chances are the next guy won't need it and you definitely will.

7. BigEHokie

BigEHokie Mentor

Sep 22, 2005
    I'm in the Roanoke, VA market and I think we're around 70ish on the list for HD locals. Does DirecTV do all new installs with the AT9 dish? Is there a problem with the specific multiplexer you mention and using hte HR10-250 and an OTA? I think I read in another thread the new multiplexer for that dish doesn't work well with an OTA...

Thanks everyone for the help!

8. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    With the AT9 dish, you cannot diplex the OTA with the satellite lines. I believe the switch would work OK with OTA as long as you run a separate cable for the OTA antenna.

Anyone else have experience with this - I don't have the AT9 dish.

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The problem/conflict between OTA and the AT9 dish is that after the next MPEG4 satellite comes on line, the AT9 dish will be doing an internal stacking of the signal which will use the same frequency spectrum that OTA signals use, and will therefore interfere with them (and vice-versa).

So if you are going to use the AT9 dish, you need to run independent coax for your ota antenna from the antenna to the receiver. Right now, you can get away with diplexing, but once the next (99?) satellite comes on-line, you will have problems.

Carl

10. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I'd take it with me also. You can never have too many back-up multiswitches.

11. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    There were reports that your receivers are converted over to the "leased" status when using the movers program. Something else to consider -- and a reason to install on your own.

12. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    That's one way to dump the Mover's Connection.

13. BigEHokie

BigEHokie Mentor

Sep 22, 2005
    I would be seriously upset considering I bought every single one of my receivers. I just don't see how they can do that, particularly with the HR10-250 and another $300 HD receiver I have.

14. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Your thoughts echo mine and one of the installers that posts over at TCF. He was stunned when he received his new paper-work that (per him at least) required the mover to sign-off acknowledging they understood all moved equipment would then be considered leased.

He was not very happy about it and expected poeple to complain.

15. Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball Godfather

Jun 29, 2004
    West Valley...
    I just did movers and I have 5 receivers, 3 DVRs and 2 HD. They are ALL owned still. Movers does not mean that it is leased. Only if you get receivers, and only then are those receivers LEASED. You still own any others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.