1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving an HR24 from a swm system to a non swm system

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Devil Dog, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1 of 10
    Devil Dog

Devil Dog New Member

May 29, 2011
    My folks are snowbirds and this winter, they took their new HR24 with them down south. So last night my dad hooks up the reciever and it gives a 771a error. He calls me and I troubleshoot it via online and discover the HR24 is setup for a swm system and the dish he is connecting to is not on a swm system. So he changes the satelite settings to slimline 5 / multiswitch and it goes through the configuration and gives him an 082 error. I googled this error and it says to select slimline 3. He selects slimline 3 / multiswitch and it goes through the configuration and everything appears to work fine.

Well today, my mom is watching television and the reciever gives a cannont download guide error and suggests to hit the red reset. She resets the system, but it is still giving a guide error. I have searched, but cannot find a concluseive answer.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

2. Dec 1, 2011 #2 of 10
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    HR24 needs a BBC (baseband converter) on each satellite input when not using SWM. Do they have those attached to the coax?

Is only one coax connected, and the DVR still set to TWO tuners?

Is there line of sight to the 119 satellite? There are channels to test each satellite and polarity up on the high end. Check each satellite.

Do they have an HD dish, or a phase 3 SD dish?

3. Dec 1, 2011 #3 of 10
    Devil Dog

Devil Dog New Member

May 29, 2011
    They are using a bbc connected to only 1 coax. I do not know if the dvr is set to 2 tuners. I know they had the coax plugged into sat 1 location and it would not work, so they plugged it into sat 2 and they got a picture.

They actually have an H24 that they were using there, but they brought their HR24 because it had DVR and HD. They actually pay for 2 different packages at their 2 addresses (going to drop the 1 after contract expires and just take receiver with them when they travel). They have choice without HD where they were using the H24 and they have choice extra with HD up north where they use their HR24.

The H24 is working fine, they just want to hook up the HR24 because it includes HD & DVR.

4. Dec 1, 2011 #4 of 10
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    That is odd, because DirecTv will not authorize an HD receiver on an account without HD service, so I am wondering. Tell them to hook up the H24, see what it is set up for (dish, multiswitch, etc), and then plug in the HR24, set it to the same exact settings, and make sure they select 1 TUNER only, if they only have one coax. The coax should be plugged into SAT 1. Once set correctly, it should work. If its plugged into SAT 2, it will always be looking for guide data on SAT 1, if I am not mistaken.

5. Dec 1, 2011 #5 of 10
    Devil Dog

Devil Dog New Member

May 29, 2011
    They have 2 accounts. Their house up North is in my dads name and includes HD. The house down south is in my moms name and does not include HD. They are going to cancel the account in my moms name in Feburary when the contract is up. Then they will just take the HR24 with them as they travel back and forth.

6. Dec 1, 2011 #6 of 10
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Must be a Mpeg4 locals market then. In any case, copying the settings from the H24 to the HR24, setting it to one tuner, and using the correct input should fix them up.

7. Dec 1, 2011 #7 of 10
    Devil Dog

Devil Dog New Member

May 29, 2011
    Thanks for your help. Will pass on the info to my parents.

8. Dec 1, 2011 #8 of 10
    Devil Dog

Devil Dog New Member

May 29, 2011
    Thank you very much Davenlr. They had the settings on dual tuners and once they switched it to single, everything worked fine.

9. Dec 1, 2011 #9 of 10
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Super.

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    They need to disconnect an account. First off it would be cheaper than paying for 2 accounts no matter what package they have. Also if they have not updated the address they won't get local channels. If any receivers are at their old residence still they need to keep the 2 accounts separate.