Moving..BOS spotbeam in PHL??

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Hardin Thicke, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke AllStar

Jun 18, 2008
    I'm in the process of moving from central Massachusetts to the suburban Philadelphia area. When I called today to arrange for a dish install at the new home, the Dish rep indicated to me that I will keep my Boston network channels. That seemed hard to believe. Do the markets overlap that much, and does the Boston coverage map extend out 250 miles?

2. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
  3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Back when DirecTV began using Ku spot beams that were broadcast from the 101 degree slot, some enterprising hobbyist developed some kind of DirecTV customer signal strength evaluator in which which anyone could enter his location (zip code, I believe) and signal strength readings, and this system would incorporate that data into its data base and develop and refine a perimeter for that spot beam.

A few years after to began, it did get closed to new data. I never did read anything about the site's "webmaster", whether it automatically recalculated with each new data point, or what the ring's boundaries actually meant. Heck, last I knew, we never had l;earned much about what exactly :"signal strength percentage" meant, either.

Of course, the shape of the DISH Network ellipses will differ slightly because those beams hit the northeast from a steeper angle (28 degrees elevation, versus about 42 degrees on the boresite, if I recall correctly) but both companies are responsible for developing reliable spot coverage for the same DMA's, so it should be a pretty good indicator of the perimeter of the DISH signals as well.

I just posted two images of the final version of that map. If they don't open as images, I will additionally furnish their URLs.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    You may have some luck further investigating this yourself by search for the term "scottandmichelle", which was the name term of the site's "URL", if I am using that term correctly.

I used to follow the development of the beams closely, and when the data first started coming in, the transponder 28 rings were tighter than those of the other five frequencies, but the Boston one did stretch out as the project further developed.

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Here is the site.

DTV Spots Map

The name given is Scott Seligman, and the last date given for updated data entry is/was: Last updated: 1:19 PM 10/14/2006.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH's satellites do not have the same spotbeam footprints as DIRECTV.

From a legal standpoint, DISH can't sell you Boston local stations in Philadelphia.
    From a technical standpoint, you are not going to receive a Boston station spotbeam from 61.5 in Philadelphia.

7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I didn't know that the Boston DISH Network Spot was from 61.5. If it was from their first two slots, at 110 or 119, the oval would be longer and thinner than DirecTV's and would probably reach, but from 61.5 it would be rotated the other way and surely not reach.

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Boston MA - all SD channels are on sat 110, Spotbeam 4 (transponders 26 and 18), except WSBK (Boston Superstation - on Conus Sat 119 transponder 20).

HD channels are only on 61.5 , spot 23, transponders 25 and 23.

I would say the CSR mis-spoke on availability of Boston channels in Philadelphia.

Philadelphia - SD is on Sat 119, transponder 7 and spotbeam 4sB17
    HD - sat 61.5, spotbeam 3, transponders 23 and 31.

(information courtesy of Local Channels on DISH Network (Unofficial Listing) )

9. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    It looks like the Boston HD locals are on 61.5 spot beam 23 that covers New England from southern CT to central ME. The Boston SD locals are on 110 spot beam 4 that covers from MD to central ME including much of NY and PA including the Philadelphia area. So the answer to getting the Boston locals in Philly is "Maybe", depending on which dish/LNB and sats are used.

Obviously, the correct locals for a Philly service address would be the Philly locals... :)