Moving Directv Help...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Rapohle, Jul 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rapohle

Rapohle New Member

Jul 5, 2015
    WI
    I'm going to apologize for asking this question in advance, as I'm sure it's been asked many times before.
    When I move with my direct TV from one state to another I will lose my current local channels. Now my question is, if I adjust my direct TV satellite to the exact same current coordinates and specifications would I be allowed to keep my local channels for my current home? Moving one state over and 6 hours north. I'm on paperless billing so the address isn't really an issue. I'll be connecting the equipment to my router and network if this matters? Any help is appreciated.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    No, you can't keep your locals, for two reasons.

First, there are federal rules that apply, and DirecTV must comply with those. They cannot offer out of market local channels.
    Second, local channels are provided on what are called spot beams. They only cover a limited geographic area, and once you are beyond roughly 100 miles or so of that market, you can't receive that spot beam.

In your specific case, it may or may not be possible to get enough signal on the spot beam for your old/current address at your new location. But even if you could, it is against DirecTV policy to do so. The general term applied to doing this is (quotations included) called "moving". It is not an acceptable topic for discussion here at DBSTalk, and therefore I'm going to lock this thread.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.