1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving from iO to DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mikelbeck, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 #1 of 20
    mikelbeck

mikelbeck AllStar

Oct 4, 2010
    Hi all -

I've had Cablevision's iO for years. I've had their techs to my house probably 50 times over the last couple of years to try to fix low signal problems. Most of the time they show up and replace connectors or splitters in the house. Once they ran a new cable from the street to the house, before that they ran a new cable from the box across the street to my side. That fixes the problem for a couple of weeks but then slowly but surely the low signal problem resurfaces and my DVRs start having problems. Sometimes the guides won't come up, sometimes they won't record, etc, etc. They keep promising they can fix it but I'm tired of waiting.

So now I'm looking at DirecTV. I've compared the programming available and pretty much everything that I would want to watch is offered by DirecTV so I'm happy with that. But I've got some questions, hopefully somebody who knows can answer.

1. How is the speed of the receiver's menus compared to iO? I had Dish Network years ago a the menus were super slow.
    2. The "regular" channels (2, 4, 5, 7, etc) on iO are all HD now. On DirecTV is it the same or are there special HD channels that I would need to use?
    3. I've going to get the "whole house" DVR package. Is that decent?
    4. If I want the pausing of live TV functionality I would need a DVR on the TV I'd want to use that on, correct? Even with the "whole house" DVR?
    5. One of the (only) cool things about iO is the PIP functionality. Can the DirecTV receivers do that?
    6. Do any of the receivers need to be connected to a phone line or Internet? If Internet, can they do WiFi or is it hardwired only?
    7. Is there anything I should look out for? Am I going to miss anything that iO offers that DirecTV doesn't?

Thanks for the help. :grin:

2. Oct 4, 2010 #2 of 20
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Regular (non-DVR) HD receivers have always been fast. DVRs will always be slower, but the older DirecTV HD-DVRs were sometimes especially slow. The good news is that the new HR24 series is a complete re-design, and the primary improvement is SPEED! They are night-and-day faster than the older models. Do a YouTube search to see examples.

BUT... DirecTV doesn't promise any particular model, just an "HD-DVR", so if you order directly from DirecTV, you get what you get. The only way to assure a specific receiver model is to order via a local or online DirecTV retailer.

You'll find your locals on their proper channel number (5 on 5, 7 on 7, 12 on 12, etc.). By default, SD duplicates are hidden, but you can change that as you like.

It's pretty great by all accounts. Just know that an HD-DVR can only provide ONE *remote* stream at a time, so you can't have 2 or more remote connections. It will of course be able to play a show on the TV it's connected to while it provides a remote stream.

Correct. "Whole House DVR" is a poorly chosen and misleading name, IMO. It is really MRV (multi-room viewing of DVR recordings).

No. PiP requires two video output processors. Since DirecTV's receivers are only designed to feed a single TV, and since PiP always polls very low with consumers (the vast majority never use it), DirecTV decided not to spend the money to install a second processor in their receivers. So, the hardware isn't capable of PiP.

No connection is required, despite some legacy verbage to the contrary in the User Agreement. If you order MRV, be sure to specify that you also need the (poorly named) Internet Connection Kit, which is really an additional DECA adapter that connects to your router. It bridges the DECA network cloud to your home network, and therefore its Internet connection. It works MUCH better than wireless.

I know nothing about iO, as Cablevision is regional, and not all that big compared to Comcast or Time Warner. Maybe someone else does. But you can do some reading here and learn everything you'd want to know about DirecTV. Most likely, though, the main thing you'll miss out on is overpaying for TV.

3. Oct 4, 2010 #3 of 20
    gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    If your family watches News 12 Long Island a lot, you're not going to have it on DirecTV. The same is true for other local stuff like MSG Varsity.

4. Oct 5, 2010 #4 of 20
    Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    Don't let the installer in the house with anything but a HR24 DVR, all other DVRs are painfully slow and you will hate Directv and be stuck with a 2 year comitment to boot. New installs CAN get used equipment so ask whats on the truck.

5. Oct 5, 2010 #5 of 20
    elvisotisc

elvisotisc Cool Member

Sep 15, 2007
    I had IO for a few years, always very disappointed in the service and the cost. it went up every year. I been a happy subciriber of Directv for over 7 years. It has been the most enjoyment I've have gotten from my TV in many years. The quality is #1 in the Television Industry. If You want the best service with the best cost. Directv is the only choice. :)

6. Oct 5, 2010 #6 of 20
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Actually, if you want to ensure that you get HR24 equipment, the best thing to do is to go through a local retailer that will guarantee you 24s, or through an online retailer, like solid signal, that will also guarantee you 24s.

There have been equipment shortages, and installers may not have HR24s when you are scheduled, since Directv doesn't guarantee any particular equipment. You probably don't want to reschedule multiple times if that were to happen.

7. Oct 5, 2010 #7 of 20
    mikelbeck

mikelbeck AllStar

Oct 4, 2010
    What do you mean that SD duplicates are hidden?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Does this mean that if I have a bunch of shows recorded I would only be able to view 1 at a time no matter which TV I'm using? What if I have multiple DVRs?

Would I be able to add the Internet Connection Kit later on or would I need to specify that I would want it when I place the order?

8. Oct 5, 2010 #8 of 20
    mikelbeck

mikelbeck AllStar

Oct 4, 2010
    I was planning on ordering straight from the DirecTV web site. If I wanted to use some other retailer would they offer the same sort of packages/new customer deals as DirecTV?

9. Oct 5, 2010 #9 of 20
    bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yes, local retailers will offer the same packages and national promos as directly through Direct TV.

Great retailer and might be able to contract out to someone local for your needs. You will get 24's if you go through these guys and you can still get all the national deals.

http://www.solidsignal.com/p/?p=265...n=GAN&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=k175726

10. mikelbeck

mikelbeck AllStar

Oct 4, 2010
    Let me clarify what I'm trying to do, maybe this will help in this discussion...

I have 5 TVs in the house:

Den - HD DVR
    Master Bedroom - HD DVR
    Child's room - HD
    Guest room - SD
    Dining room - SD

Currently I have a DVR in both the den and master bedroom and would like to have that same functionality when I go to DirecTV. With the "whole house" DVR would I be able to watch something from the DVR in the den and watch something different from the DVR in the master bedroom or my son's room?

11. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yes, that's how MRV would work for you. You can access any DVR from any HD receiver in your system. Now you couldn't access the DVRs from your guest room or dining room since those are SD receivers.

12. mikelbeck

mikelbeck AllStar

Oct 4, 2010
    Right, I understand that. I just don't want to be stuck with only 1 viewing option for the 3 HD TVs. If I want to watch something in the den while my wife wants to watch something in the master bedroom, I don't need her yelling at me because she can't. ;-)

13. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    DirecTV's channel lineup looks like this...

2 - WCBS (SD)
    2 - WCBS (HD)
    4 - WNBC (SD)
    4 - WNBC (HD)
    5 - WNYW (SD)
    5 - WNYW (SD)
    [...]
    248 - FX (SD)
    248 - FX (HD)
    249 - Comedy Central (SD)
    249 - Comedy Central (HD)
    [...]

You can set the HD receiver so that it will ignore the SD versions of channels that are available in both SD and HD, an option the receiver menu calls "hide SD duplicates."

14. mikelbeck

mikelbeck AllStar

Oct 4, 2010
    Oh, that makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.

15. mikelbeck

mikelbeck AllStar

Oct 4, 2010
    Ok, one more question. If I get the Internet Connection package, will the installer run the cable to my router or do I need to do that myself?

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    What will happen is that the installer will run a coax cable to a location near your router. There, he will connect a DECA adapter and from the DECA a short CAT5 jumper to your router. That will put your entire DECA network on your home network and give it access to your Internet connection.

17. mikelbeck

mikelbeck AllStar

Oct 4, 2010
    Ah, ok. I thought it would go the other way - CAT5 from my router to the DirecTV receiver.

Thanks!

18. mikelbeck

mikelbeck AllStar

Oct 4, 2010
    Ok, got my DirecTV installed today.

I've got the whole-house DVR service and 5 receivers - two are HD-DVRs (HR24-200), 1 HD receiver (H24-200) and 2 standard receivers (D12-700).

The installer was here for about 4 hours, it would've been less if it wasn't so meticulous about the wiring. Each cable is neatly run and wired tied, tucked behind something or nailed to the wall or ceiling. Most of the cables in my house were re-used, a couple needed new connectors, one cable had to be run. All of the splitters I had around the house were removed so now each TV has a straight shot from the single 8 port splitter.

The speed of the guide and the receivers in general is much better than I expected. Some of the functions will take some getting used to, it's not as easy as the cable service. But others are much easier.

So far I'm impressed but it's only been a few hours.

19. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Remember it can take 24 hours or the entire 3 week guide to populate so I'm sure right now searches are not providing you with much information.

20. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    also the sports over flows are like this
    634 MSG SD
    634 MSG HD
    636 MSG 2 SD
    636-1 MSG 2 HD

With hide SD on 636 MSG 2 SD still shows up and you need to go to 636-1 for HD

same for MSG +

635 MSG Plus SD
    635 MSG Plus HD
    637 MSG Plus 2 SD
    637-1 MSG Plus 2 HD