1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving HD DVR and replacing R16 with HD box install question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by StephenJC, Jun 16, 2012.

1. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    Hi I currently have an HR24 in my living room with the power inserter and cinema connection kit, an H21 in my family room with a DECA attached to it for MRV, and an R16 in my bedroom. I was able to get DTV to replace my R16 with an HD receiver (non DVR). I am planning on moving the HR24 to my bedroom and putting the new HD box in my living room. Is it as simple as unhooking the coax from the HR24 and hooking it up to the coax in my bedroom, where the R16 was. I would then just hook the new HD box (and deca if needed) to the coax in the living room that the HR24 previously was at? I would leave the power inserter and cinema connection as they are now, no need to fuss with them?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Sounds about right, just remember to take out the band stop filter that was on the R16. What is the model of the new box?

3. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    I don't know. The DTV website tells me that it has shipped, but only indicates it is an HD receiver, does not give the model. Guess I will find out when it arrives. It doesn't even give a tracking number.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The tracking number sometimes takes a day or two to appear, but DirecTV generally ships via FedEx 2-day anyways.

- Merg

5. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    Interesting. I don't see a band stop filter on the R16. Coax is running straight from the switch to the R16.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You're getting lucky then. The DECA signal can really do bad things to your receiver if you don't have a DECA or a BSF at each receiver.

- Merg