1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving hdtv queston

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by jilardi2, Nov 12, 2010.

1. jilardi2

jilardi2 Legend

Mar 6, 2008
    I have a 42 inch plasma tv, that i need to move about 20 miles. i don't have the box anymore. i want to put in in the trunk of my car, standing up wrapped in a blanket and strapped down good of course. what do you guys think?

If it is a good idea should i take the interstate or backroads?

2. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    If you stand it up and protect it from bouncing you should be fine. If the glass flexes due to a bounce you could be in trouble. When I got my 50" PDP 4 years ago I had to take it out of the box to get it home (I should have had them deliver it but as usual I was in a rush). I made it about 15 miles at about 15-20mph without problem except for the cars on the Parkway (55mph) not very happy. There are LOTS of stories and photos online of those who did not make it. :eek2:

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You should be fine.

I moved a 42" LCD a few weeks ago for someone and just laid it down on the back seat.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Depends on the quality of your backroads. I'd take smooth Interstate over potholes any day!

5. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Note to self: Keep the box when I get one!

Buy another TV just like it. Set it up at your new place, then move your old one with that box you just got. Enjoy them both!

6. jilardi2

jilardi2 Legend

Mar 6, 2008
    it ended up fitting in the back seat of a 93 mercury sable.

thanks everyone :D

7. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    The OP had a Plasma. You said "LCD." LCD's have never been a problem which is one of the advantages they have although I understand some now have glass panels which becomes a problem.

Plasma most definitely are a problem if they are layed flat. You COULD get lucky but if it flexes even the slightest you could end up with a large pile of glass. That's why plasma's are always strapped standing up on a skid when shipped. Mine (50") came strapped upright to a 6' x 3' wood skid that weighed probably twice the weight of the plasma in the box and had a "tilt indicator" on the crate that said "DO NOT ACCEPT IF TRIGGERED." I had to saw up the skid before my town would take it away.

8. jilardi2

jilardi2 Legend

Mar 6, 2008
    i hear that, i had to take mine out of the box or "case" it was in to fit it in a Jeep Liberty when i bought it a couple of years ago.

and i couldn't fit the box in the liberty so i left it at sams club

9. larryk

larryk Legend

Aug 17, 2006
    I moved a 42" plasma across the country in the back of my SUV. It was standing up, padded with blankets, and strapped to the side of the vehicle. It made the trip just fine and is now over eight years old...