1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving - how to temporarily get locals in new location?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Tom M, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Tom M

Tom M Legend

Jan 3, 2007
    I'm moving to a new job which requires a relocation so while our house is on the market my wife will remain in the original location - keeping the primary D* service there. I'm planning on setting up a temporary dish and taking "my" HR20 with me (I know this bends the TOS but I'm not really worried about it as it's functionally no different than having the IRDs in different rooms) so I can keep up with my content. The problem is that the move is far enough that it's a different spot beam, which means I will lose my current locals. I know I can't have 1 account and different locals on different IRDs (or can I?) but since I've got an HR20 can I just hook up the off-air antenna to get the off-air HD locals in the temporary location? The guide data might be incorrect but I could always convert to manual recordings so long as the tuning works properly.

2. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Connect an antenna to the HR20 and rerun setup with local zip. That might work. Dont connect phone or ethernet.

3. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    This doesn't "bend" ths TOS. This breaks them. Having service on the same account at 2 addresses/locations simultaneously IS against DirecTV policy

4. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    "Bend" means he knows, doesn't care, and doesn't want to get into a debate about it.