Moving HS17 to own area.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by minimonster17, Apr 18, 2019.

1. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    How would I reconfigure my setup to where my HS17 tower is isolated away from my two tv's. I want to move it to my master bedroom, away from the living room tv. It is currently split off the coax where the living room tv is, one wire going to the tower, and the other to the c61k on the back of the tv. I want to completely isolate the tower away from either tv. I have read on here in the original hs17 thread that this is possible, but the process was not directly stated how to do so.

how would I go about doing this? Note that this is a single story house where the coax drops run down from the attic. I'm not opposed to climbing up there, if necessary.

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Where is the other TV located besides the one in the LR?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    The second tv is located in the master bedroom, wall mounted. I really wanted to move the HS17 to the master bedroom, on a stand next to a bed. This would be positioned on the opposite wall of the wall mounted tv in the master bedroom. There is another coax outlet on the opposite wall as well.

4. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    The problem with it being located in the living room is that I have four kids, and they have "accidentally" pushed the rest button on multiple occasions.

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Ok sorry ...

Had to run out on an errand ....

If the installer fortunately connected the opposite wall coax outlet in the MB to the main DIRECTV splitter probably in the attic (or outside somewhere near the entry point to the attic). Then you're in luck as all you need to do is move the HS17 tower into the MB and connect it by a single short coax to the outlet. And then just remove the 2x1 splitter near the LR TV and connect the single LR line to the C61K client

Then use WiFi on the tower to connect it to the internet.

If not then you or someone else is going to have to ("carefully") climb up into the attic and find the line from that MB outlet and attach it to the "power-passing" port on the main DIRECTV splitter. And hopefully there is an additional spare port for the LR coax presently there.

If not then you're going need either a larger main splitter or use the now spare 2x1 splitter from the LR to split one of the lines coming from the main splitter.

Make sure the coax to the HS17 is fed through the power-passing ports of both splitters if you choose to split the power-passing port of the main splitter connected to the HS17 tower.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Not just any unused port. It's got to be the power pass through port.

HoTat2 and jimmie57 like this.
  7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    some splitters passing DC on all ports (using steering diodes schematics)

8. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is the most important thing, make sure you connect the cable going to the HS17 to the RED output on the splitter.

jimmie57 likes this.
  9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Thanks, ... my bad ...

Corrected ...

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Most splitters pass DC on all ports - all standard cable splitters do. It costs more to make them block it.

However, that as well as what you posted is totally irrelevant since the question is about Directv and the guy asking the question will 100% be using Directv green label splitters.

compnurd likes this.
  11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    For applications where there are the same nominal control voltages on each splitter port in order to accept the highest and lockout all the others, yes.

Such as splitting the 4-6 trunk lines from a legacy LNBF to feed parallel multiswitches.

But why would you need an all ports power-passing splitter with diode steering for splitting SWiM/MoCA signals when never more than a single port on those types of splitters will ever need to pass a DC voltage?

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    to make convenient move devices to eliminate "slavery" of port#

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, but seems like a lot of expense for DIRECTV to setup a production line for such a new SWiM/MoCA splitter when all it will really save them is the minor extra task of a tech possibly needing to swap a coax line requiring DC continuity through a splitter for one that doesn't.

14. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Hi everyone, thanks to all of the knowledgeable regulars on here for posting. To provide further detail, this is a swm setup using a 22ch reverse band LNb. Both tv's are using c61k clients.

The coax run to the living room was a brand new one I personally dropped because directv refused to do a drop on an interior wall in the main living room. the line coming into the attic from the dish is split with the correct two way dtv power passing port. One line from the splitter runs to the living room drop, and the other line feeds the rest of the house. the line to the living room drop is currently on the power side of the attic splitter. The living room drop is then split again at the living room wall plate. one line one the power side of the living room splitter goes to the HS17 tower, and the other to the wall mount living room tv.

The bedroom tv is wall mounted as well, but I want to place the tower on the opposite wall of the bedroom, on an end table. There is currently a coax outlet there, but when I attempt to plug in the tower ther; I wind up with two yellow lights on the server. They do not turn green.

There is not external power inverter here; the internal power supply of the HS17 is powering the SWM.

Does this additional detail help explain the setup?

15. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    The coax outlet I want to use to power the tower is original to the house, and is run down the attic, and not through the exterior wall. The line to the dish enters the house through the garage wall, and up into the attic. To the best of my knowledge, there are only the two green dtv approved two-way splitters I mentioned earlier in my setup.

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    To use that outlet on the opposite wall of the MB you're going to have to find its cable run in the attic and move it by extending it or whatever is best, over to the main (or "root") splitter in the attic.

Then you're going to have to purchase a 4x1 SWiM splitter (use ebay for best price) to replace the 2x1 main one currently in the attic and place a 75 ohm termination cap on the one remaining unused port.

17. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    thank you! I had literally read the 100 plus page HS17 thread, read multiple white papers on the solid signal blog, and performed thread searches on here and and edge cutter looking for this answer! as stated earlier, no one directly spelled things out anywhere.

so to make things clear, the main or root splitter in the attic gets replaced with the four way swm splitter. The red passing port on the four way gets plugged into the coax wire in the attic going to the wall plate of the master bedroom on the opposing wall of the bedroom tv where I want the HS17 to sit isolated.

lastly, the second two way splitter where the living room tv and the HS17 tower currently reside gets removed, and the living room C61k gets connected directly to the living room coax wall plate.

Is my understanding correct?

18. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    And of course the unused cap on the four way gets terminated.

19. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Correct ....

Also assuming that's a good cable leading from this MB outlet up to the attic to begin with of course ...

20. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    yes, of course. I will have to climb up there and assess things. thanks again for providing me with the knowledge I needed to proceed.