Moving - Need Advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BigDPW, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Jan 3, 2011 #1 of 13
    BigDPW

BigDPW Cool Member

Apr 17, 2008
    We are moving in a few weeks into our new house we have built. We had the house pre-wired for home theater and whole home audio. We plan to used DTV if they don't try to screw us on pricing when we move. We are up on our contract now so we could switch if we needed to.

We currently have the following setup:

HR21-100 in the living room (HDTV) - The network connection is broken in it...
    R22-200 in the playroom (SDTV)

We will be looking to have the following setup in our new home:
    HDTV in Living Room -HDDVR
    SDTV in Playroom - DVR - eventually will be HD TV in there too...
    HDTV in Media Room - HDDVR
    We would also like MRV and VOD features that we don't have now

Any advice on what we will need to make this work. I am going to call DTV-MOVE but want to be prepared before I call to ask for the right stuff. I would like to make sure I get as up-to-date as possible hardware and as much recording capacity as possible too.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Jan 3, 2011 #2 of 13
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Simple: call for a Mover's Connection, add an HD-DVR to your existing receivers, and ask for Whole Home DVR service with Cinema Connection Kit to be installed at the same time.

That will effectively get you a total of 3 HD-DVRs. Do NOT mention the network problem with the HR21 to the CSR when ordering (you can tell the tech when he arrives), and do NOT many any special mention of the R22, which they condsider an SD-DVR. Put the R22 in the Playroom.

Likely, you'll get 2 HR24s (one of them replacing your broken HR21), and a DECA adapter for the R22.

3. Jan 3, 2011 #3 of 13
    BigDPW

BigDPW Cool Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. From what I gathered on the site about the new DVRs and how the MRV is set up this is what I thought would happen. I don't follow all the new technology on the site like many of you do and was not sure if I was unaware of anything else out there to look out for when they install. I appreciate that there is a site like this to come to about this sort of thing.

4. Jan 3, 2011 #4 of 13
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Follow BZ's advice and you should have a successful install. Just double-check your order on-line afterwards to verify that it lists the Cinema Connection Kit. If it doesn't, call back up and get that added.

The typical price for the WHDVR upgrade is $199, but it can be less depending on your account history.

- Merg

5. Jan 3, 2011 #5 of 13
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I always add to mover questions:

DO NOT attempt to have the installation done on the same day as the move-in. If there is any way you can take all TVs, other eq and all DTV receivers to the new home before the move-in and have that installation done that is what you should do.

You will have enough to do getting your stuff unloaded and deal with movers. Even though the commercials show a red carpet and installers carrying you in........this doesn't happen.

At a minimum you should personally pack each TV location separately and have TVs etc. loaded LAST on the same truck so all comes off first. In this case do the installation after move-in day.

All other advice stated by others will guide you well...........the installer cannot wait while TVs on three different trucks in several different states are located.

And an afterthought: LOS = Line of Sight. If there is any question where the dish will be installed this, too should be resolved before proceeding.

Good luck,

Joe

6. Jan 7, 2011 #6 of 13
    BigDPW

BigDPW Cool Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Can you guys check out my order to make sure I am getting what we discussed above....

[TABLE]Item Description Price Quantity Total
    Professional Installation Free 1 Free
    HD Access 1
    Whole-Home DVR Service 1
    DIRECTV® HD DVR (Expanded HD Prog. Capable) $99.00 1 $99.00
    DIRECTV Movers Antenna Only Free 1 Free
    Relocate Existing DVR IRD Free 1 Free
    Movers With Commitment Free 1 Free
    DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR Upgrade $99.00 1 $99.00
    Relocate Existing HDDVR IRD Free 1 Free
    Handling $19.95
    Standard Professional Install Free
    Tax $16.89
    Order Total $234.84[/TABLE]

Not sure the cinema connection kit is listed but hopefully you guys can tell me. I know I mentioned it to the CSR several times.

They also are crediting me a total of $106 on the install so it will only cost $128.92 when all is said and done.

In addition since we have been loyal customers with no history of payment issues we are getting a $30 credit/month x 6 months.

I was pretty happy with that especially considering the upcoming price increases...

Also can all 3 DVR talk to one another with the whole home DVR or is it going to be one central DVR that you can watch on all the boxes? For instance if the kids record Dora in the playroom can I still let them watch that in the media or living rooms? Or is on of the DVRs designated as the central DVR that manages the list and records...

Last question: Do I need the Connection kit (I assume that is just a wireless adapter) if I can hardwire to the home network?

7. Jan 7, 2011 #7 of 13
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes, you need the connection kit, and I don't see it listed. I'd call and double-check on that.

All 3 HD-DVRs will be able to act as "servers" (share their content), and all will be able to act as "clients" (view content on other servers). Each HD-DVR can support ONE (and only one) remote client, in addition to being able to watch that DVR locally.

The Connection Kit is WIRED; it is a DECA adapter that will be connected via Ethernet cable to your router/switch and to your SWM system via coax. It will put all 3 HD-DVRs on your network, and on the Internet if you have it.

8. Jan 8, 2011 #8 of 13
    BigDPW

BigDPW Cool Member

Apr 17, 2008
    So I would not be able to watch a show recorded on the living room DVR in the media and playrooms at anytime? Or at the same time? I would not anticipate we would be trying to watch the same show at any one time from a DVR in two rooms but would think it would be nice to have the option to watch a show in either room depending on our preference?

9. Jan 8, 2011 #9 of 13
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Each HD-DVR can support ONE remote client at any given time. So if you have three DVRs, A, B and C, you can watch a show recorded on A from B or C (but not from B and C a the same time). You can watch a show recorded on C from A or B (but not from A and B a the same time). You could start watching a show from A on B, stop and move to C and continue watching the same show.

If you add a fourth DVR, then A could be watching something recorded on B at the same time C is watching from D.

10. BigDPW

BigDPW Cool Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Thanks that makes it much more clear... That is what I figured but wanted to be sure.

11. BigDPW

BigDPW Cool Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Okay just found out that there is no way that AT&T will be able to hook up my DSL by the time the DTV guys come to install.

Any worries about DTV install/setup being limited by no internet connectivity? I know that I will just have to hook up the network later to get the on demand features working but anything else that will be limited by this?

I have no cable access on my road and the only other alternative is 4G Wimax but I am right on the edge of their coverage so I am not sure it will work well... Unfortunately I am a bit at the mercy of AT&T here...

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Don't worry about that. As long as you have your router hooked up, they will know exactly where you want everything installed. Once the Internet service is turned on, you'll have VOD and DirecTV Cinema.

- Merg

13. BigDPW

BigDPW Cool Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Okay I just realized I mispoke before about something.

Originally I had said that the network connection on my HR21-100 was broken. Got to thinking about it and realized that it is actually the phone connection. Presumably the thing is still not fully functional so they will still replace it right? I am really hoping for a couple HR24s...

Let me know what you think.

I appreciate all of you guys advice in this thread! Install is next Friday when we move! Yippee!