Moving question (canceling)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by dragonheartck, Jan 19, 2011.

1. dragonheartck

dragonheartck Cool Member

Aug 21, 2006
    In the next few month I will probably be moving to a new location that won't be able to be serviced by Directv. I am going to have to cancel my service when I move, but I have upgraded my DVRs at some point so I believe that might have put me under contract with service. Does anyone know the process or the rules for canceling service?

Also how do I get the hardware back to Directv when I cancel the service?

Thanks

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Call DIRECTV and they will let you know if there is an early termination fee. Most likely there is, but it could be small or it could be waived if it's been long enough. If it's been over two years you are very likely safe.

DIRECTV will send recovery boxes for your equipment with pre-paid Fedex labels. Just put the receivers in the boxes and send them back. As far as the dish and wiring, leave that with the house.

3. dragonheartck

dragonheartck Cool Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Thank you for the quick response.

4. BlueSnake

BlueSnake Godfather

Oct 6, 2006
    Call Directv. Since you didn't give a lot of details we don't know your exact situation.

I'm moving shortly myself and it doesn't look like I will have line of sight to the satellites in my new location. I called Directv and they told me when I move to go ahead an order the move. If they come to install and can't get line of sight then they will cancel my contract with no penalty. At least that's what the CSR I talked to told me. Might be worth checking out with your exact circumstances.

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If you move someplace where DIRECTV is unavailable, there should be no early termination fee.

6. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Only if it cannot be installed. So if it's due to restrictions of some kind and not a physical limitation then the cancelation fee would be valid. They will require a tech to come out regardless. There can be some other things as well that could or could not make a cancelation fee valid. I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that though.

Also this thread should probably go in general discussion as it's not a tip or trick.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'm curious as to why your new location can't "be serviced by DirecTV"?

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The ONLY "out" is if a DirecTV tech comes out and declares that there is No Line Of Site to the satellites. Any other reason, and you're on the hook for the ETF.*

* There is an exception for service-persons being transferred to permanent duty stations (not just a deployment) out of the US, but that likely doesn't apply here.