1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Dallas, Texas

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Nov 7, 2018 #1 of 33
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    So, any advice on moving to Dallas, Texas, specifically the Richardson/Plano area? Specifically after the first of the year.

2. Nov 7, 2018 #2 of 33
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You're currently in Sacramento?

The weather will be a bit of an adjustment.

What specific type of topics are you interested in?

3. Nov 7, 2018 #3 of 33
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm near Plano, in Allen. What are you wanting to know?

4. Nov 7, 2018 #4 of 33
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Mark, what in the world!!??
    Why are you leaving Sac?
    Is your mother moving,
    also?

We oldtime DBS'rs need to know.

:rolleyes:

5. Nov 7, 2018 #5 of 33
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    It's kind of like how I described KC to people in Raleigh - "it gets both hotter and colder in KC".

6. Nov 8, 2018 #6 of 33
    RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    We have low 30's over night lows forecast for 3 day in the next 7 day forecast highs in the mid 50's. For June, July, August triple digits are probable. Traffic in the Plano/Richardson area may be as bad as CA.

7. Nov 8, 2018 #7 of 33
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You should be able to get a house for much less than the one in Sacramento sells for.
    You are far enough inland to not have to worry about hurricanes. On the flip side you will be close to Tornado alley.
    The temps will be cold in the winter and really hot in the summer. Make sure your new house has a good AC.
    Texas has no state income tax. You do have to have a safety inspection on your car (s) before you can get a tag every year and you might have to pay an initial fee on each of them for bringing them into the state to stay.
    Good luck with your relocation.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Rich likes this.
  8. Nov 9, 2018 #8 of 33
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Tell me about it. No Delta breeze in the evening, plus isn't the humidity higher in the Dallas area? Please tell me it's lower than Houston.

I am applying for relocation to the Richardson, TX office of the company that I am currently working for, as the local office is slated for closure. Also, I believe the job opportunities are better in Dallas, TX than they are in Sacramento, CA. Also, slightly lower cost of living. (2.23 per gallon in Richardson verses 3.25 per gallon in Citrus Heights at Costco).

Also, California has really changed since I moved here in 1977 with my parents, and I'm afraid.... for the very worse. My mother wants out of California also.

Should my relocation be approved, I am looking for a place that is within about three miles of my new workplace with good Internet connectivity and damn good air conditioning (ok, that's subjective, not objective). I've been warned about the traffic.

Actually, at age 49, I'll be a first-time home purchaser, and definitely have more than the 20% needed for a down payment. I've been looking at Zillow, and I'm seeing some very nice homes.

As for no state income tax, Texas seems to make that up in the higher property tax.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  9. Nov 9, 2018 #9 of 33
    sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    We moved to Texas from Iowa. If your job is in the area you spoke of, the traffic wont be too bad. The first thing you will notice is there is no big tress. Top soil is thin in Dallas so no big tress. I like the weather, maybe 2 or 3 snow days. A snow day is snow in the morning and clear in the afternoon. The heat is a dry heat and is not to bad. Take your time getting to know Texans. They are very proud of their state and don't care how it was in Calf.
    SSTV

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    No state Income tax. We do have 8-1/4% sales tax in the county, city where I live.
    My house is valued on the tax books at $219,000 and my city, county and school taxes are about $1,600 per year total.

When I moved to Texas way back in 1969 I rented for 2 years. Spent lots of times riding around, looking at places / areas to see where I really wanted to Buy a house. I do not regret doing that.

11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I meant to say income tax...

12. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Frisco is the HOT spot for Californians moving in thanks to Toyota. Lots of new expensive homes and fastest growing school system. Plano is on the tail end of rapid growth it has run out of land to develop so growth has gone to Prosper/Allen north of Plano. And Frisco to North West. In 1979 Preston RD. (hwy.289) was a 2 lane country rd. in Frisco, it is now a 6 lane hwy. with lots of traffic. Housing costs have been increasing so contact some realtors many homes have sold above listing prices in the HOT areas. Who is your employer, 3 miles from the employer may be hard to find at low prices.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've spent some time in the Galveston area. Nice place. Hot and humid. Great restaurants. Huge marinas. I like Texas.

Rich

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I lived in TX near the OK border in the 70s. The schools closed for a heavy frost. They used road graders to clear the streets (no snow plows). Having just moved from the UP of MI (6ft snowfall normal) our family was outside in shorts and t-shirts laughing at neighbors who thought it was cold.

Not a bad place (although north of Dallas). The big problem was the occasional tornado.

15. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Tornadoes aren't much of a problem in DFW. We are right at the southern end of "tornado Alley", you really need to be in Oklahoma to have an issue. Temperatures hot in the summer (not as hot as Arizona, generally not as humid as Houston). In the winter, typically 30 nights when it's below freezing. Some years no snow at all, some years we get several inches. We came here from Massachusetts so that is very different! And we do have snowplows now!
    I am in Allen, just north of Richardson/Plano. Real estate is going up in price, although much less than California. In Allen you can get a 2000sq ft house for $300K. Five years ago it would have been 200K! Most of the really new development is north of us, Celiina/prosper and along highway 380 towards Denton. Frisco is NW of us and was just fields 10 years ago, now it is full of new housing.
    Not much in the way of public transport unless you live close to the Dart line which runs from Plano to downtown Dallas and beyond. Traffic is only a real issue if you have to use highway 75 or the tollway to get to work. highway 121 runs through Frisco/Plano/allen/mckinney and is usually an easy way to get to the airport.
    Cost of living here is gerally lower than most, yes Gas at aroung $2.29 this week helps a lot. No sales tax. Real estate taxes on my 1800 sq ft house around $3000.
    DFW is enjoying a great economy, lots of companies and people moving in (many from California). Sometimes it's difficult to find people who were born here.
    if you have any specific questions just PM me.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There is a State Sales tax of 6-1/4% for most everything except food that you get at a store. Fast Food, restaurants, etc. are taxable.
    Evidently your area does not add to it like where I live.

17. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I made many business trips to Texas when I was working in aerospace plus three enjoyable Elderhostels there after retiring. San Antonio is a beautiful city.
    Despite the traffic, fires, earthquakes, and 10% sales tax I still prefer living in a non-air-conditioned house eight blocks from the beach. :)

18. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I am well aware of the California Distortion Filter. And, I'm going to have to deal with the improvements in Texas.

It's just a matter of getting everything ready. Already, I'm working on the pre-approval for a mortgage. There is a whole checklist of stuff that I have to go through. Ei-yi-yi.

19. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    There is a state tax of 6-1/4% but there is also 2% that city's can add so Mark will be paying 8-1/4% in the whole area.

jimmie57 likes this.
  20. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    i meant no INCOME TAX. As RBA says there is a 6.25% state sales tax plus a local sales tax which depends where you make the purchase. 2% is pretty typical.