1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg4???

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by TrxR, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrxR

TrxR New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Is Mpeg 4 going to be for HD only? Or will the standard Def got the Mpeg4 as well?? For me I could care less about HD as I cant afford to buy a big HD TV.

Thanks

2. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    ALL E* receivers will eventually be replaced so that they can do all of it in MPEG4. It will free up a lot of bandwidth,

3. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    larrystotler is right, but we are a ways off from that. If you don't have HD then it shouldn't be a problem for you for awhile.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Larry is correct, that is the longterm plan... but "eventually" should be several years if all you are interested in are the SD channels.

5. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    I'd imagine that MPEG-4 will be needed for SV and newer must carry locals.

6. the_bear

the_bear Godfather

Oct 18, 2004
    We don’t know if Dish will move SD to mpeg4 or if there will be no more SD channels left to move first. Similar to HD, at one time color TVs were expensive. Now, there are no black and white channels. Eventually, there will be no SD, but the timing vs. no mpeg2 is anyone’s guess.

7. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    That's not true. There is a great deal of content that may never be rescanned and converted to HD. SD is here to stay for a long time. Further, depending on the quailty of the original prints, some movies may never make it to HD without a lot of work. Voom's channels had a lot of upconverted stuff that was barely 480p. Remember, the analog OTA cutoff has nothing to do with HD or SD other than the transmission type. You can see a lot of SD content on the OTA channels that has had nothing done to it other than digitize like what E* and D* have been doing all along.

8. the_bear

the_bear Godfather

Oct 18, 2004
    How many still black and white channels are there?

9. rocatman

rocatman Icon

Nov 27, 2003
    Based on the spotbeam configuration of the E-10 satellite, it is pretty obvious that Dish will move many if not most of the Superdish SD locals on 105 and 121 to E-10 spotbeams. The timeframe of when they would do this is anybodies guess. Initially Dish could provide these SD locals on both the Superdish slot and the E-10 spotbeam with the latter being in MPEG-4. New subscribers to locals in these markets would get MPEG-4 receivers and not need Superdishes and perhaps Dish would offer current subscribers additional incentives to upgrade their receivers to MPEG-4. Even with the current poor performance of the MPEG-4 encoders, Dish could probably get at least 20 SD channels/TP with MPEG-4 as compared to 12 channels/TP currently.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is more likely that they will be put up this year in MPEG2 on E10, with some of those spots also carrying HD locals in MPEG4 (depending on how many markets need to fit on the spotbeam).

They need to stop playing with SuperDishes. D1000 are much easier.

11. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Yeah, there was a whole 3-4 channels then. Now there are 5000, Big Difference.

That's not the point. There is a great deal more SD color content then there ever was black and white. And it took time for them to colorize movies like The Wizard of Oz. Changing from SD to HD quality is possible, but it will take years. I bet 10 years from now we will still have stuff in Sd quality that is upconverted instead of being truly rescanned to HD.

12. the_bear

the_bear Godfather

Oct 18, 2004
    There is a difference between a channel that plays a few SD up-converts and a few old black and whites from a channel devoted exclusively to SD or exclusively to black and white. I just don’t see any channels devoted exclusively to SD 10 years from now.

13. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Huh?

Color me confused... As far as I have known, the Wizard of Oz was always in color (except for the beginning and ending parts which were intentionally in black & white)... what was colorized?

14. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Whoops. I may be wrong there. But they have colorized a great many B&W movies. That was what I was refering to.

15. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Converting to HD costs money if it is done properly. Some channels may not want to spend to update their programming that they already own. Further, while there may not be 100% SD channels, there will be many channels that will be mixed. The ATSC changeover ONLY applies to OTA. Cable and sat are unaffected. If E* had the room, there would be NO need to convert to MPEG4. Also, since HD quality takes more bandwidth, E* would be better off converting SD channels to MPEG4 and not wanting to carry more HD channels. Heck, DVDs aren't HD. If you own 200 moives, will you replace all of them with HD versions when they are available? Same idea.

16. SHS

SHS Legend

Jan 7, 2003
    Vinita, OK
    larrystotler I belive Dish & DirecTV is planing converting both HD/SD channels to MPEG4 to free more bandwidth as much as 50%

Nope

17. dave1234

dave1234 Icon

Oct 9, 2005
    FWIW My understanding was the Wizard of Oz introduced color to the movies. The first part was black and white until the house landed and the door opens to color.

18. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    And Technicolor too! Where each color was a separate negative... one of the reasons why Wizard of Oz is still vibrant after all these years... since they can re-scan each color negative individually and adjust for passage of time fading.

Great stuff!

19. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    Depending on the source material, it may not be worth converting the content to HD.. Some source probably looks terrible and would cost more than its worth to convert.

Some material is just plain old video from years of news or other footage that will never get converted to HD.

You can instantly tell when some HD program inserts content from some ancient footage for historical purposes, and while they've done some work to perhaps clean it up, usually its only a minute or two here and there, not hours..

20. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    That's the point I was making. Some people seem to be of the opinion that just because they will be broadcasting channel in MPEG4 instead of MPEG2 that they will also make the channels HD. If it wasn't for the bandwidth issues, they would stay at MPEG2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.