1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Mr. Sunshine" on Netflix

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Sep 29, 2018.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    [​IMG]
    The story plot line surrounds a Korean boy from a slave Korean family who for dramatic reasons ends up emigrating to NYC in the late 1800's and returns to Korea as a U.S. Marine to staff a U.S. Legation in the midst of early 1900's tensions between Japan, the USA, Russia, and Korea.

To begin with the cinematography is superb - gorgeous scenery, unlike in almost all TV series, and it is even just the backdrop in many scenes. The story is emotionally complex but offers some humor bordering on slapstick. The directing and acting are at a level not exceeded by many shows.

It is different. And we are just spellbound though admittedly that comes from the cinematography.

This series is not for everyone. To begin with, the dialog is mostly in Korean (though some English and Japanese) with subtitles that are sometimes hard to follow. And since we can't tell when people are speaking Japanese instead of Korean, it is harder to discover what a character's role in the plot is.

We would recommend it.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The language is always a problem with the international programs. We have closed captioning on when we watch NF shows. Thing is, some of these shows are really good. I can put up with the CC. What I don't like is international programs that are dubbed in English. I can't watch those programs, dubbing drives me crazy.

I look forward to Mr. Sunshine.

Rich