1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV: Another Set of beginner questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tonyoci, Nov 30, 2011.

1. tonyoci

tonyoci Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    I'm sure this has been asked and answered but it's tough to track down exactly what I'm asking.

I am interested in setting up the MRV. I currently have 5 receivers, 3 of them HR20's. They are all located in one room and we have the latest dish etc. but no SWIIM (sp????).

What I want to do is add another HD DVR, and drop the two non HD. Then place one receiver in each of 3 bedrooms and one in the family room. I might also add an HD receiver.

I am not sure how the cabling works. All of the rooms have existing coax runs that were installed around 1993 for cable TV access. I currently use them to distribute the signal via RF. Does this cabling work ?

If not how do I handle the bedrooms (upstairs), it's not practical for Cat 5 or Coax cable to be sent to those rooms without some major work.

Thanks for the help

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    SWM or SWiM

If you can find where all the coax currently combines [should be one point where it does], upgrading to SWiM should work for you. The dish would run to this "common point", where the coax then splits off to each room you want a receiver in, and the DECA networking will give you MRV. Your RF distribution will have to go away.

3. adidas208

adidas208 Cool Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Swm sounds like a great idea. To run mrv the dtv way it has to be swm. Now one thing that concerns me is the existing cabling in the house. You are talking about 18year old cable. If it is rg-59 be prepared to have nothing but problems with mrv because of the freqs that it uses. Will it work at first, yes, will it give you headaches beyond belief yes. Also depending on if these are hr20-100 or hr20700 there is special setups where the deca has to go and another two way splitter with a bandstop filter needed. Something that you may or may not want to embark on your own. The good thing is if you order the upgrade through dtv and the cable is no good then they should change it all out and make sure the system is good before leaving. At least thats what we do in my market, cant necessarily speak for others...Good luck

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Another one of those "installer myths". :nono:

RG-59 shouldn't be used to power the SWiM, but has no problems for DECA, since DECA is at 525-575 MHz, which is where RG59 was first used. RG59 has two limitations, 1) handling DC power, & 2) high frequencies.
    DECA has neither of these. :nono:

100' of RG59 has 2 dB more loss than RG6 at the highest SWiM frequency, while at the DECA frequency it's only 1 dB.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I can attest to that. I have two TVs using RG59 with SWiM. My installer (when I upgraded to SWiM) said he'd have to replace that wiring, but after he got everything else hooked up and the TVs still worked, he left the RG59 in place.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Isn't rg59 also generally good for swim system, once you in the swim part of the network? In fact, I was under the impression that was one of the major reason they wanted to go swim, is because it allowed them to utilize existing wire more often. Generally, I would imagine the biggest problem with old wiring is improper terminations, which can easily be changed out, yes?

7. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Only the hr20-100 has that issue. Not the hr20-700, trust me, I know :D

8. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Something tells me he wants to get rid of the rf system and go whdvr in its place, since all his units are in the same room right now. :grin:

9. adidas208

adidas208 Cool Member

Nov 30, 2011

Hence what I Said...hehe As far as the 59 goes. If this is properly installed 59, then yes it will probably work fine. But 90percent of the 59 that i have come across has been prewired and has been hacked to all hell with all the crappy bends at the top plate and crappy staples that compress down and dont let the comm freq at 5mhz pass correctly. I am a service tech and have had to fix a ton of this crap from our local retailers becuase it was told in the beginning it was fine to work with 59. Yup it will with a properly ran piece. But most is not.

10. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Ha, I guess I read that wrong, I thought you meant both! :D
    Yeah, but that problem you have with RG59 can also be present on RG6 just as easily. That's why I don't discount it just because its RG59. I'd say it more like, if your wiring is in really good shape, your good, if its not, then you may have to replace it.

11. adidas208

adidas208 Cool Member

Nov 30, 2011
    lol thats a perfect way to put it...thank you

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    There is a lot of crappy RG59 out there, which had you suggested would be the problem, I wouldn't have questioned, but "frequency" isn't the issue with DECA.

13. tonyoci

tonyoci Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Thanks all. Yes I want to replace the RF system. I had read though that DTV would not replace my cable, if needed, under a standard install.

I know where the cable "junction" is, I use it for the RF distribution.

Thanks again.

14. tonyoci

tonyoci Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Well they showed up and claimed they could not do the install using the existing cabling (RJ39 or RG59???) and I didn't want cables run over the outside of my house.

SO what to do now ? You guys seem to say that the older cable should work but they would not do the install that way.