1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV Email received today

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by caseyj1231, Mar 19, 2010.

1. caseyj1231

caseyj1231 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Hi there,

This is my first post on here - but have been doing the cutting edge stuff and really enjoying the MRV stuff for now. Here's my issue though - I received from DirecTv an email stating MRV was available to me (being in Colorado), and that it's an add'l $3/month. Below that, it states that it's a $99 installation charge :eek2: - I already have it active and works great, I had to do a lot of configuration with my router to get it to work correctly, and really DO NOT want anyone screwing with it, making any changes or any "installation" as it is working perfectly fine. Does anyone here know if we already have this, if we're required to pay the $99 installation fee or if they can just add the $3 charge when it becomes mandatory for beta testers?

Ya'll have been great with help for a new DTV subscriber that switched from Comcast (used to work for them for 6 years), and found after I left, that DTV's rates are much better than Comcast, plus everything about the service really kicks ***! - so any help would greatly be appreciated!

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    :welcome_s

If you get the install package, you won't have to worry about them messing with all your stuff. They will unplug it from the receivers and do their own thing without it. :D

The DECA system they are using runs the network through the coax cable along with the satellite signal, and they have special adapters (DECA adapters or dongles) for it and it runs on a system called SWM. The install charge is for upgrading receivers/changing to SWM/the adapters.

I think they are going to let you use your own network if you want from what I have been reading here, but you won't be able to call tech support about it for help, you will have to maintain the network yourself, which from what you said, it looks like you can, so that's your call.

Somewhere around here is a thread that goes into detail why DECA is preferred. I personally recommend having them come out and switch it over to DECA, but I am sure others will say different.

3. caseyj1231

caseyj1231 New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Thanks for your reply - I apologize, I meant to clarify that I already have SWM. :) (When they did my install, the installer asked if he could set it up with that, and after doing my research ahead of time, i was prepared to ask if he could set that up :) )

So it shouldn't be any big deal then?

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I don't think anyone knows for sure yet. I am basically the same boat as you, I am hoping we can just opt back in for $3 and buy the DECA adapters separately.

Somewhere I read from a reputable source on here that they were going to let us use our own network if we want.

I still say DECA is the way to go, I just don't want to pay $100 for them and $49 to get a tech out here.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have absolutely no inside knowledge, but I'd be surprised if DECA adapters never become available at least through something like Solid Signal. Now how much they charge is different. I'd never buy a BBC for $20 from Solid Signal for example.

6. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Cmon D*, get it ready in my area :D

I'm ready to drop $99 and get this show on the road.

7. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    I'm actually not ready. I have it set up on wireless and it works great. I dont like the interface though. I would prefer to have a separate tab for each DVR. As it is now when I bring up "List" it shows everything on both receivers in one place. For those of us with less tech-savvy spouses and children it gets kind of confusing.

8. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    You're the second post I've seen where an e-mail stated you would have to pay $3 a month (while MRV is still in the beta.) I'd hope that the e-mail is incorrect as MRV is still in Beta and should be free up until the Beta ends.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think those e-mails should tell you that the beta test is almost over.

Personally I think the $99 is a heck of a value for all you could potentially get.

10. chazworth

chazworth New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    I live in Denver and received the MRV email last night. I called DTV this morning, and the rep mentioned the following:

-The DECA equipment fee is $99, and installation is $50. I didn't ask if I could install the equipment myself, so I am not sure about that.

-I am welcome to continue to use my hard-wired ethernet network to use MRV (I have been using MRV via the CE program for a couple of months).

-The "beta" status of the MRV program will end at some point, and then the $3 fee will commence.

-They may require the DECA equipment at some point as well.

Hey, my first post!

11. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    So if we continue to use our hardwired ethernet network for MRV (as I am now), will we still have to pay the $3/mo fee?

12. chazworth

chazworth New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    I didn't specifically ask that question, but I am quite sure that we will be required to pay the $3 fee once the beta is over, whether we use DECA or not.

The rep mentioned at least a couple of times that they are still rolling things out, and that the requirements and fees will likely evolve as time passes. She didnt' have information on how long the beta period will last, or how long the non-DECA configuration will be "allowed", etc.

13. dconfer

dconfer Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    Does anyone know how long it will only be offered in the first test area? One month 2 months. I would love to have my system upgraded now.

14. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Pretty sure Doung already answered this question with a Yes it will be required

15. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    With all the various MRV threads, it's hard to keep up with all the questions that have been asked and answered. I assumed the answer would be 'yes,' but thought I'd ask anyways.

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The cities that are in line to get this package are already having to pay the $3/mo.

17. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'll ask this here. How does the DECA tie in with the internet for DoD?

18. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Might make for some angry people if that's really the case...

19. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    DECA dongle connected to your router.

20. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Why? It's in the fine print on the page that explains MRV and I'm sure the CSR's are telling them about the charge as well.

If they don't want to pay the $3/mo then they don't get MRV.