MRV First Look - Collaborative thread

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Special Request (private)' started by Stuart Sweet, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Apr 30, 2009 #1 of 102
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Let's all work together on the First Look for MRV. Start by suggesting changes to this document, and we'll go from there.

2. Apr 30, 2009 #2 of 102
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Stuart - I would add in the FAQ section that DD 5.1 does work with MRV if the recording is of a program that provides it. Files are streamed over the network by the server DVR with no modifications.

I would also suggest that those who create this eventual finished product write up in some detail how they are networked (including hardware models not just networking protocol) and how it works or what limitations they have encountered in specific situations as examples for others to see and learn from when they build or update their own LANs to support MRV. The final .pdf can either include this information directly or link to it perhaps.

3. Apr 30, 2009 #3 of 102
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm hoping that dettxw will join us, make these edits to the word file he created, and I can go from there.

4. Apr 30, 2009 #4 of 102
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Change
    One of the most anticipated features by DirecTV subscribers is available now!
    It’s Multiple Room Viewing (MRV) and if you can use your DVR or DIRECTV2PC then you can MRV.
    It can be accomplished with a server connected to a client through your home network.
    The server is any HR2x HD DVR, and the client can also be any HR2x HD DVR or an H21 HD receiver. All
    must be running the current Cutting Edge (CE) firmware.

To:
    [centered]First Look, MRV[/centered]
    MRV can be accomplished with a server and client connected through the home network.
    The server is any HR2x HD DVR or R22 SD DVR, and the client can also be any HR2x HD DVR, R22 SD DVR or an H21 HD receiver. All must be running the current Cutting Edge (CE) firmware, 0x0301 or later.

Change
    This little write-up assumes that you already have your DVRs and receivers networked.
    Bandwidth requirements will be quite similar to DIRECTV2PC.
    I use a Linksys 5GHz network with WGA600N adapters and a WRT600N router which works well for me.
    Wired is best, and some people report success with 802.11g networks under ideal conditions; YMMV.
    Note that the network doesn’t require internet access; MRV is between your home units.
    Great information on DirecTV-related home networking can be had in the following links:

To:
    This write-up assumes that you already have your DVRs and receivers networked.
    Bandwidth requirements will be quite similar to DIRECTV2PC.
    For example, one network setup that works may include a Linksys WRT600N router with WGA600N wireless game adapter(s) connected at the MRV client/server.
    Wired is best, and some people report success with 802.11g networks under ideal conditions.
    Note - the network does not’t require internet access; MRV is between your home units.
    Great information on DirecTV-related home networking can be had in the following links:

Remove:
    Be running the latest CE, downloads are usually available Friday & Saturday nights
    CE Announcements http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119
    The CE: Rules, FAQs, and Tips on participating http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=90847

Other:
    and of course modify the next pieces of information if changes are made to MRV.

My .02

Great work and thanks for volunteering!

5. Apr 30, 2009 #5 of 102
    Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Herb,
    I think we have enough written on the network and "how to" information on it. Getting someone to read it and understand it is another story. Some will take extra explanation and hand holding and that helps to post count. ;)

6. Apr 30, 2009 #6 of 102
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I'm here! :eek2:

Where's my entrance music? :lol:

I'll send the caps when I get home, don't have access to a good copy here.

Thanks for the invite, Stuart. :)

7. Apr 30, 2009 #7 of 102
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK

Attached Files:

8. Apr 30, 2009 #8 of 102
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    And last but not least...

List1.png

(had to make a new one, uploaded the old one and pasted it, but it didn't actually show up in the post, but I can't upload the same cap again since I've already done it once. :rolleyes: )

9. Apr 30, 2009 #9 of 102
    Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    One thing that might be a little confusing is the picture showing where to put the friendly name in is different than the playlist. One shows BEDROOM and the playlist shows MOMSBEDROOM.

10. May 1, 2009 #10 of 102
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    List2.png

This cap is from the Hava (HR22-100) and the rest are from the Slingbox (HR20-700).
    From the one sample I think that the Sling caps are clearer, but it is smaller too. I must have the player windows sized differently.
    Guess I'll have to play around and make some more samples to compare.

11. May 1, 2009 #11 of 102
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Steve, do you want to make the changes to the word document and re-post it, or do you want me to take it from here?

12. May 1, 2009 #12 of 102
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Another tidbit about friendly names that some people might want to know is that you can indeed use spaces in the names - use the Right button to move the cursor as you enter the friendly name.

13. May 1, 2009 #13 of 102
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Hey, you're the boss man.
    I'll be happy to work on it some more if that's what you want.
    I can just imagine you sitting around twiddling your thumbs looking for something to amuse you.

I just used Word since that's what I had handy and it was quick.
    What format is desired in both the short and long term?
    Are we going to a Quick Look format like DIRECTV2PC soon, or do we want a multi-post sticky kind of thing for a while?
    How long do we have to get Tips & Tricks/FAQ kind of stuff together?

14. May 1, 2009 #14 of 102
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Steve, it would be great if you could make the changes in Word before mid-day tomorrow and then I'll take it from there. Whatever screencaps you want to use will be fine, the first ones are actually ok.

When that's done, I'll be using Adobe InDesign CS4 to do the heavy lifting, and the result will be a PDF like previous first looks. InDesign imports most text and graphic formats so your continuing to work in Word is no problem.

15. May 1, 2009 #15 of 102
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    OK, I can do that. It'll give me something to do while anticipating tonight's CE.

16. May 1, 2009 #16 of 102
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Hope that there is an H21-200 CE tonight.
    Due to operator error my receiver is back on 4080 so it is inop for MRV.
    (As stated before the operator error was due to Clintonian Compartmentalized Mind Syndrome - one part of the brain knew that there was no H21 CE last week but then the other part forced a download anyway. Was distracted by the new HR20 toys so didn't notice until later)

edit -
    Yes, H21 expected!!

17. May 2, 2009 #17 of 102
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Hey guys.. I will work on some stuff on sunday....

Looks like its got a good start..

Curios, why do we do these as pdfs rather than in HTML and make a directory area (could be a link in the main nav even) here at dbstalk to hold all these, so that people don't have to download pdf's, etc?

18. May 2, 2009 #18 of 102
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    After a lot of discussion among the staff and among field test participants, PDF was decided as the way to go. There is a thread to link to all of them in the Information, Tips, and Resources Forum.

19. May 2, 2009 #19 of 102
    Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Funny,
    My H21 went back to 4080 as well. Can't think of what happened! [rolling eyes] Seems to be back to normal to day. [rolling eyes, again]

20. May 2, 2009 #20 of 102
    Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Change
    Tips & Tricks (e.g. use with DLB?)

To:
    Tips & Tricks - Enjoy the use of DLB, HD and/or SD programing, and 5.1 Dolby where supported