1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV installation and replace defective HR20 on same visit?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by macfisto, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Jun 7, 2010 #1 of 10
    macfisto

macfisto Cool Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Hello,

Yesterday, I called and set up an appointment to have MRV installed in a few weeks. I currently have an HR20-700 and an HR22-100. I have had the HR20for several years now, and have recently begun to have some problems with it. The hard drive churns very loudly all the time, and this has significantly slowed it down. I called D* technical support several weeks back, and they instructed me perform a re-format of the hard drive to see if this would improve performance. I performed it and it did not. The rep told me that if this re-format did not resolve my problems, that they would send me out a new HD DVR for the cost of shipping. I mentioned to him that I was considering having the MRV install, and I asked if I could avoid the shipping charge if the installer were to bring the new HD DVR along with him to the install. He wasn’t sure if this could be done. Do you folks think I could do this? Since it seems as though most MRV installs seem to be getting the HR24, I was hoping that this might be the case for me.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Jun 8, 2010 #2 of 10
    macfisto

macfisto Cool Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Could someone please give me some help/insight here?

Thanks

3. Jun 8, 2010 #3 of 10
    Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Legend

Apr 8, 2006
    In order to make sure it coincides with the DECA installation, it needs to be in the work order (I had to cancel my first work order for DECA and put in a new one in order to take advantage of a loyalty gift). Some people have gotten them to "guarantee" an HR24, but others couldn't be promised it as a replacement.

4. dtvmike1652

dtvmike1652 AllStar

Jun 14, 2010
    Ok coming from being a technician myself I know for a fact that the tech will be required to replace the receiver if determined in fact it is defective. Now if he has an HDDVR on his truck is another story. Now I'm not 100% sure but I think any non capable HD irds will be replaced automatically anyway. I know that they replace any receivers that are not SWM capable free of charge so I'm pretty sure that your HR20 is not capable so will be replaced anyway. Just call them and ask them what the requirements are for the Whole Home DVR they can see exactly what equipment will work with that system and I think you'll get lucky and it will get replaced anyway.

5. PAJeep

PAJeep Legend

Mar 8, 2008
    If he is coming out to to do a MRV install chances are he has HR24's on the truck too. I was just in the same situation. Had a bad HR20 and HR21 from a lightning strike and had that noted on the work order while requesting an MRV installation. Gave me two new HR24-500's without even looking at my DVRs.

6. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Got an HR24 to replace my HR20-700 during my MRV upgrade since my HR20 wouldn't work on a SWM from a lightning strike a few years back.

The key was to ensure the work order had this noted and I also have the protection plan. The protection plan eliminated any chance of a contract extension.

The last thing you will have to do if you want OTA is to call for the AM21. If your account shows HR20's with OTA, the AM21's are free.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Any replacement of a defective receiver does not add to your commitment, PP or not.

Not necessarily. If you have he OTA flag on your account and a replacement is needed, they will send you out another HR20, if they can. If you don't get a HR20, you can sometimes get them to waive the cost of the AM21, but it is not a guarantee. If you are adding an additional receiver, you will have to pay for the AM21.

- Merg

8. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Merg, I was trying to help with the desire to get an HR24 (last sentence first post).

The key here was to get an HR24 to replace the HR20 and once you get the HR24, the AM21 is needed for OTA.

Getting an HR24 under the PP isn't easy but if the installer installs it to a defective HR, the account needs special notices or the 2 year commitment kicks in.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You stated that the Protection Plan eliminated the chance of a commitment extension. That's not true. If you have a defective, leased receiver replaced, there is no commitment extension whether you have the PP or not.

And while you do need an AM21 if you have a HR24, I was just pointing out that while you might be able to get DirecTV to send you the AM21 for free, it is no guarantee that it will happen.

And as for having special notices or the 2 year commitment kicking in, that issue generally arises when the CSR that is activating the receiver activates it as a new receiver and not a replacement. The mistake that usually happens is that they activate the new receiver and then deactivate the old one. That causes the new commitment. When activated as a replacement, part of that process is de-activating the old one as well. That prevents a new commitment.

- Merg

10. claymanhb

claymanhb Mentor

Mar 28, 2007
    If it's a problem with the HR 20's HDD, I would go buy a 1-2 tb and replace it. That's what I did and have seemingly limitless storage:D