1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV installation troubles

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by yunus89115, Jun 10, 2010.

1. yunus89115

yunus89115 New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    OK, so I'm asking for help here because the DirecTV installers were unable to get it to work.
    I had this setup, Non-Swim dish, 3 wires coming from the satellite, 2 going to my living room to an HR21, and the third going to the bedroom to a SD box, I don't know the model number of. Ethernet connected to the HR21 for On Demand and such.

Called DirecTV and ordered the upgrade for SWIM and an HR24 and H24 to do MRV and have more speed. The SWIM works, only 1 cable is now going to the HR24 and both tuners work, the H24 works, MRV does not work. The installers called DirecTV and verified multiple times that MRV was enabled on my account and both boxes say "Authorized" on the screen under the MRV menu. But it does not see the networked HR24. There are recordings on the HR24 and the software was redownloaded on both units at least 3 times. The installers even tried running a patch cable from the SWIM to the boxes to eliminate old coax as a possible problem. Ethernet is connected to the HR24 and was during all tests. Is this a problem?
    Can anyone offer any advice on what I can do to fix this? I can provide any more info if needed.

Ahh yes, the only weird part about the installation was the H24 had to be activated at another location due to weather they were unable to get a signal of 92 or better which they said was required. They did say that the H24 was activated on my account though and it does work for TV so I would think that wouldn't be the problem.

Thanks

2. tsbrady1

tsbrady1 Legend

Jan 6, 2006
    Did D* do a refresh on all the connected boxes? I had similar issues with my setup when the installer finally asked D to do a refresh the HR24 showed up. BTW.. you can do the refresh yourself on Ds webpage log in to D and click on the Help drop down tab and click on Tools you should see refresh and when you click on that all your boxes should be shown

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    BINGO!
    This turned off the DECA network.

4. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    You should not have the ethernet port connected on either the HR24 or the H24. They have built in DECA units that use the coax to connect to each other. If you need internet access, you need DECA to connect between your SWM splitter and your router. The receivers do not bridge the DECA cloud to your ethernet.

Disconnect any ethernet cables and restart both receivers. You may need to assign each receiver a manual IP address if you are not connected to a router with DHCP.

5. yunus89115

yunus89115 New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Thanks for the help guys, you fixed it!

So to have MRV and On demand, I need to buy something that connects Ethernet to the SWIM box, is this correct? Can someone tell me the specific name of what I'm looking for. I don't want to order the wrong thing.

Thanks!

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You want to add another one of these with a PI:
    [​IMG]

7. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Legend

Apr 8, 2006
    Don't "buy" anything; they should have brought it with them originally, but some installers only bring what is in the work order; the CSR should have asked you if you wanted the broadband option. Call them back and make sure they send you everything you need.