1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV via ETHERNET question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by EricRobins, Aug 19, 2010.

1. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    I currently have 2 HR20s and 1 HR21, each hardwired to to my network.

I had everything wired to the same wireless router (Linksys WRT54G). However, when I added my NAS, I ran out of ports on the wireless router.

I found an old wired D-Link router (DI-604) and ran one of the outputs of the Linksys into the WAN port of the D-LINK. All of the HR2X's are now plugged into the D-link.

For some reason, the HR2X's can see each other, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get a machine plugged into the D-Link (including the HRs) to see the internet. When I have DHCP disabled on the D-Link, nothing plugged into it get a good IP address (they all get the 169.x.x.x, rather than the 192.168.x.x), irrespective of whether or not DHCP is set on in the Linksys or which router is "first". I have played with the subnet mask settings, as well as everything else I could think of.

Basically, now, I have all 3 HRs networked to each other, but not the Internet.

Any suggestions?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Suggestion #1: Upgrade to DECA

Suggetsion #2: On that DLink - Don't use the WAN aspect of it. Turn-off the DHCP on it, and just use it as a switch. (the DVRs into the same ports they are now, and connect the DLink to your other router, via one of the non-wan ports)

3. dhines

dhines Godfather

Aug 16, 2006
    ok, i am confused . . .

i thought we couldn't use MRV without DECA. what gives?

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You always have been allowed to use your network. There's an old 50ish page topic here somewhere.

Found it: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177590

5. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I have same sort of setup. Turn DHCP off on your dlink 604 and plug your router into one of the LAN (not Wan) ports of the 604. This turns the dlink 604 into a 100mbit switch. :D

6. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    That worked great. It seems counter intuitive to have the out of router 1 into a LAN port of router 2 (instead of the WAN port), but ....

7. JB3

JB3 Mentor

Oct 2, 2006
    Remember the only "router" on these home devices is between the WAN port and the LAN (i.e. the other switch ports). Now all you're using is the built in switch to have additional ports on your existing network. You turned off the DHCP, because you'll really mess things up with 2 DHCP servers on the same network segment.

Depending on the age and capabilities of your gear, you could have been required to use a crossover cable between the 2 switches, but as it is working now, we know that at least one of the switches is auto sensing.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    There might also be a setting on the D-Link to turn the WAN port into a LAN port, thus giving you 5 ports to work with instead of 4. I do that so that when I daisy chain the WAN port is then being used to connect back to the router and the LAN ports are then all open for devices.

- Merg