1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSNBC HD to rebrand as NBC News HD in January 2013?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by JoeTheDragon, Jul 18, 2012.

1. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
  2. Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia Legend

May 10, 2010
    The link isn't working right now, but it makes sense. Comcast just bought out Microsoft's stake in MSNBC.

3. snappjay

snappjay Legend

Jul 16, 2010
    Hmm... I wonder if we will see some bi-partisan coverage now? I'm neither left or right, but MSNBC makes no bones about it... they are far left.

NBC Nightly News always seemed middle-ish. One can only hope.

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Cause Microsoft is a bastion of liberalism?

(Just a joke, I know what you meant. Rebranding to a network name...)

I think the rebranding is dumb though. NBC Sports is part of NBC but is also a channel. Now the News has two names.

5. snappjay

snappjay Legend

Jul 16, 2010
    I think the Today show is it's own entity as well, if you can believe it.

6. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    They got the memo wrong. MSNBC.com is changing to NBCNews.com

Nothing else.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Three if you recall "Cable NBC" ... (OK, it started as "Consumer News and Business Channel").

I can see where it would work to have NBC Sports as a full time sports network with some crossover to NBC broadcast (similar to ESPN crossing over to ABC - although ESPN is the bigger name ABC has its own heritage).

A full time news network NBC News HD crossing over to NBC broadcast should be able to work as well.

I expected Fox to do that back in the day when the Fox TV Network started up ... and then the Fox News Channel, but the networks seem to have gone their separate ways (although I have seen some hours of Fox News on syndicated local TV).

8. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Don't ya think now we can start dropping the HD after the channel? Or is it just me. ;)

9. snappjay

snappjay Legend

Jul 16, 2010
    In fact, I've seen some Fox shows blatantly making fun of the Fox News slant. The Simpsons come to mind.

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/16/b...-nbcnewscom-as-microsoft-and-nbc-divorce.html
    On Sunday night, MSNBC.com did something that successful Web sites almost never do: it renamed itself.

The site became NBCNews.com, signifying the end of a relationship between NBC and Microsoft that dates back to the earliest days of the commercial Web. Early next year, MSNBC.com will be reborn as a stand-alone site for the cable channel MSNBC, ending the brand confusion that has plagued the site in the past.​
    It seems odd that the cable channel will still bear the MS name even after the "divorce" both on air and on the web. :confused:

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    This makes more sense. Msnbc means nothing as an acronym to most people but it is a brand name and already has NBC in it. Just like espn is just a collection of letters to most people.

12. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    maybe they will cut down on the prison stuff they show on the weekends.

13. Barmat

Barmat Godfather

Aug 26, 2006
    I think that's because Fox News calls it's self Fair and Balanced. MSNBC makes no claims to be in the middle.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    MSNBC claims to "lean forward" ... is that so their female anchors show more cleavage? :D

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, it does make sense. The Microsoft part hasn't been obvious on the channel since Princess Diana died.

16. snappjay

snappjay Legend

Jul 16, 2010
    What I wouldn't give to have a 24/7 HD al jazeera or BBC News channels.

17. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    The word Forward itself has pretty significant historical context.

18. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    Give me $10,000 today and you will have it tomorrow.

19. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    The evening programs I can agree with you. But, Morning Joe (6:00am to 9:00am ET) is pretty evenly biased. Both views are evenly covered and pushed.

20. snappjay

snappjay Legend

Jul 16, 2010
    Good point. Morning Joe is an awesome program that I watch from time to time. It seems very "off script".