Mt. Rainer optical drives

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by ntexasdude, May 20, 2005.

1. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    While perusing my local Circuit City last night I noticed several different types of the new Mt. Rainer compatible optical drives on the shelves. I was wondering if anyone has tried one of them yet. :p

2. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    For those that don't know what Mt Rainier (note correct spelling), you can read up about it here. If it lives up to everything that it promises, it will be benificial. I think I've only ever burned 1 disc that used a "drag-n-drop" process as oppose to just burning a disc as once, so I don't know how useful it would be for me.

3. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Subject spelling corrected.

I'm sorry I should have given a brief explanation and link. At work I (we) use it all the time to archive stuff. We don't trust IT anymore to make HD backups because of a drive failure and and a missed backup and lost work - so we do it ourselves.
    The caveat is that you have to format a blank disc and have to use software such as Roxio's DirectCD to use it and the disc is only readable on machines with DirectCD installed. With the Mt. Rainier drives you don't need a third party application. You just simply drag and drop files like a floppy disc or Iomega zip disk.

I also use it at work for keeping all the pictures and email crap that I want to save but don't necessarily want residing on my employer's hard drive. :D

I was just wondering if anybody has used one yet or has any comments?

4. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I have a 512 meg memory stick in my PDA. Much more than I need for the files I normally access from the PDA. I drag and drop files, pictures, documents, anything I want to carry from one computer to another on the memory stick I have with me anywhere. 512 meg on a card about the size of a very thick postage stamp. Why would I want to carry around a huge cd that holds about the same amount of information? :) It won't be long and if I need a gig of portable storage dropping prices will make that affordable.

5. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Well for one thing a blank CD cost 10 cents and holds 700 meg and is great for long term archivcal purposes. We have several hundred GIGS worth of engineering work in the vault. We use thumb drives too and have had our share of reliabilty problems with them. :)

6. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    You can get CD RW disks for 10 cents? It all depends on what you need to save and for how long. I save things on CDs as well, but rather than use RW disks for files I am moving back and forth I prefer to use the memory card.

7. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    You can get a CD-R's for 10 cents and they work just fine for drag and drop archival. The CD-RW's cost about a $1 I think. Still a lot cheaper than a thumb drive. Anyway, lots of folks use CD's for long term storage.

8. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    CD-R's certainly do work fine for archiving. They are a good option. However they aren't suitable for situations where the option to rewrite is needed, which is what Mt. Rainier is about. I was stating that since my memory stick holds approximately what a CD does, it is easier for me to use it rather than a CD-RW for files that need to be edited. For my purposes, while one memory stick is more expensive than one disk, it is still more convenient to use the stick. In multiple quantities the cost would override the convenience. The DVD application is another option, with greater storage. Of course the price per disk is also greater, especially a DVD-RW disk. A double layer DVD-RW formatted with MR would offer the greatest storage capacity with the greatest flexibility, but at what cost?

Fortunately, we have a number of options. Each person needs to determine which option fits their needs at a particular job. Your second post spoke of storing pictures and email crap that you didn't want on your employer's hard drive. I'm sorry I misunderstood. I did not realize that you were archiving the email crap for posterity. I look over email crap and then delete it. If you want to burn it to a CD so you can save it, go for it.

9. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Bogy, I agree. I carry with me 3 - 1G of those little postage stamps. :)

Now with a PDA, I get to a TV client who says where can I see some of your work. Since I can't get wifi everywhere to access my website, I keep an off line version on a 1 G SD card. Then I can demonstrate the website, some samples of our 30 second spots, some samples of TV shows we do, and pull up the East coast cable schedules for our network. This way when he goes to his computer he can have familiarity with the access as he saw on my PDA. As I carry a cell phone, so do I carry the PDA with the SD cards. It's a no brainer concept. Actually, I can't wait for the 2G versions to come down in price. The 1G versions are now available for $69 just about everywhere. Still far more expensive than CD's but the convenience of the SD memory, I'll continue to use it since I can't use a CD in my PDA..

CD's? Yes, clients still give me stuff on them but I can't usually verify the files on the spot. If they have a computer with a USB port. I also have this small USB to SD device I can pull the files right off directly as the SD looks like another drive to the computer. So easy!

10. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Yeah - I have a client that keeps giving me unusable CD-RWs. Either an "InCD" (specially formattted requiring special software), the wrong CD, or just plain broken.

Never had a problem going to his place and sucking up the files onto my thumb drive.

11. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Yep, that's what I like as well. I have software that transfer documents into formats that the PDA will read, but I really like being able to stick the card in the computer drag and drop or download the file straight to what the computer considers another hard drive, and also be able to immediately pull of the file or document on another computer or my PDA. I can also do the same with mp3 files and either listen on the PDA or another computer. Downloads much quicker than burning a CD.