MTVL ch 369

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by satcrazy, Feb 3, 2016.

1. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Called Dish today to find out what happened to Palladia.

The CSR wasn't even aware of the change. I asked him to ask people around him, and he came back with "we still have it listed as Palladia, but I was told MTV bought it out.

Who owned Palladia? I really liked that channel. It introduced me to Joe Bonamassa for starters.

Another good channel gone.

MTV is a shell of it's original self. Shame, really.

2. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    OK, I just found the 12/29 post about this.

If they run bonamassa concerts, then one of the posters who said it's the same programming is correct.

We shall see.

ps,

yeah, I'm one of those "freaky" music lovers who prefers to watch the good stuff on my big screen.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Still owned and operated by Viacom ... just a remarketing.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6859490/mtv-relaunches-palladia-mtv-live

"MTV launched its original music-based programming channel Music High Definition (MHD) in 2006. Two years later, the channel changed its name to Palladia. Palladia hosted such specials as the HD simulcasts of the MTV Europe Music Awards, MTV Video Music Awards, CMT Music Awards and VH1 Hip Hop Honors."

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    MTV didn't "buy it out" they owned it from the start, it was originally MHD and showed HD programming from MTV, VH1 and CMT prior to them launching their own HD simulcasts, then it rebranded to Palladia in 2008 and became a live performances channel. They just renamed it to MTV Live to match the name they use for their live performances channel internationally.

It's part of rebranding Viacom is doing to regroup their 24/7 music channels (yes, Viacom has channels that are 24/7 music, it's just that outside of MTV Live, neither Dish or DirecTV carry them):
    MTV Hits (Launched in 2002)
    MTV Jams (Launched as MTVX in 1998) -> BET Jams
    VH1 Soul (Launched in 2000) -> BET Soul
    CMT Pure Country (Launched as VH1 Country in 1999) -> CMT Music
    Palladia (Launched as MHD in 2006) -> MTV Live

I have the schedule for up until mid-March. It's going to be all the same programming that aired on Palladia, the Epic.Awesome.Videos music video block in the morning, Daryl's House and Jools Hollland on Thursday nights, Epic.Awesome.Movies on Monday nights, the MTV Jams music video block on Fridays, and countelss airings of other live performance programming like MTV World Stage, festivals, performances from the MTV EMAs and UK festivals from the BBC. They're also adding more music shows like the Best of Austin City limits on Wednesday nights.

For example this is what's premiering on MTV Live in the next few weeks:
    2/1 P!nk: The Truth About Love Tour
    2/2 Front and Center: Alt-J
    2/3 Best of Austin City Limits : Radiohead
    2/5 Jay-Z: Made In America
    2/6 David Bowie: Five Years
    2/9 Front and Center: The Avett Brothers
    2/10 Best of Austin City Limits : My Morning Jacket
    2/12 Welcome To Weirdo Workshop
    2/13 Rage Against The Machine: Live at Finsbury Park
    2/16 Front and Center: Cyndi Lauper
    2/17 Best of Austin City Limits : Phoenix
    2/20 MTV World Stage: Duran Duran

Just how MTV and MTV Hits, which airs nonstop pop music videos, aren't the same thing, MTV and MTV Live are not the same thing.

5. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Also as for Joe Bonamassa, "Joe Bonamassa: Live at Radio City Music Hall" is airing tommorow night at 11pm ET, and "Joe Bonamassa: Tour De Force- Live in London" is airing Saturday, February 21 at 8pm ET.

Some of the other festival shows might have some of his performances too, but I don't have time right now to search all the descriptions to see which artists are appearing.

6. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Good to know.

Thanks for the info, KyL.

I'll be tuning in David Bowie tomorrow.

I saw Bonamassa Live@RCMH It rocked!