MTVU?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by zeebre12, Oct 28, 2018.

1. zeebre12

zeebre12 Member

Dec 28, 2014
    new york
    I see that in May on this year Cheddar acquired MTV Networks on Campus channel MTVU and have converted it to CheddarU. So MTVU is now CheddarU in colleges/universities. However MTVU was for some reason also available on cable TV in the US even though it had college-centric programming. What does MTVU show now as its not available in colleges anymore? The website is still very college-centric

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Cheddar only acquired the MTV Networks on Campus distribution network that used to be known as the College Television Network up until 2004. It's only available in dorm rooms and on TVs in common areas.

The digital cable channel, which was created by rebranding the former VHUno in 2008, is still with Viacom and remains as MTVU, and is still showing nothing but music videos from newer and indie artists you would hear on college radio.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  3. zeebre12

zeebre12 Member

Dec 28, 2014
    new york
    What type of artist music videos does it play? Does it still reference college in on air presentations/promos etc? Also why is the website still college-centric when it's not available in college campuses anymore?

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    MTVU's website doesn't exist anymore, it just redirects to MTV.com. When it last existed it hasn't been updated in months anyway.

As for the music it plays, I already said it, newer and indie artists that play on college radio. If you want examples major college radio stations like WXPN and KCRW have live streams and playlists on their websites.

5. zeebre12

zeebre12 Member

Dec 28, 2014
    new york
    Does MTVU play mostly current hit music videos or is it mostly indie type artist videos with a few current hits thrown in? They should rebrand it to MTV Music like they have CMT and CMT Music. I see MTV Music doing more as a brand for their music channels than Nick Music/MTVU

6. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Like I said, it's mostly Indie artists you would hear on college radio.

If you want current hit music videos from an MTV branded channel, go watch MTV Live. Not only is it in HD, but they have video blocks from early morning to 1pm ET and in the evening from 6pm-8pm ET after the 5pm TRL replay, along with random other blocks on certain days like MTV Jams and artist specific blocks as part of their MTV Push new artists showcases. The rest of the day it's live performances including festivals and music shows from the BBC library, MTV World Stage, CMT Storytellers and Crossroads and MTV Unplugged.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  7. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    I work at a university and the feed switched from mtvU to CheddarU in July. Both mtvU and CheddarU allow the campuses to insert messages into the feed and are cleared for carriage on campus cable and in public places, such as lobbies and dining halls. We’re moving to all IPTV next summer and I’m working to get CheddarU and a couple of other inserted channels onto our IPTV lineup. At home, I still get mtvU on Dish and that hasn’t been affected.

They have more indie type videos on mtvU. They used to have a lot of segments in between videos (such as news, humor, tips for freshman, etc.) targeted toward students; my favorite was professors reading comments from their students on RateMyProfessor.com. Over time, they stopped airing the special segments and it was just music videos as it is now.

8. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I would have loved MTVU on DirecTV. I like indie music (as well as many others). But the Music Choice app now fills that void.