1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi room dvr

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by baby on way, Feb 23, 2009.

1. baby on way

baby on way Cool Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I was reading an article recently about Directv and in the article found they are coming out with a dvr where you can record in one room and watch the show on any tv in the house, apartment and so on? Can anyone confirm this? It also said it was coming out later this year. Would love this if it came out.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, I can confirm it.

3. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Its called MRV (Multi Room Viewing) and is a highly anticipated feature.

Private testing is going on right now so hopefully sometime this year we will see it out in public.

4. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Yes, Multi Room Viewing will be out soon-however, you'll need HD receivers and/or HD DVRs that have Ethernet connectors on the back. That includes all HR2x HD DVRs but only the H21 and H23 HD receivers. The only exception is the R22 SD DVR, but that's only because it's a software limited HR21 HD DVR.

5. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Also, to be clear, you'll need receivers at each TV location (the ones specified by newshawk). It's not a DVR that sends shows to every TV (after reading your first post again, that seems to be the implication). It's software that enables the DVR's at each location to "talk" to each other.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Actually, it's software that allows Ethernet-equipped HD receivers to view recordings from HD-DVRs. It does NOT (currently) allow DVRs to do anything with each other, and such a feature has never been announced, despite lots of people here talking about it as if it had been. Most of us would like to see that happen, but DirecTV has NEVER even implied that they were working on such a feature. Only HD-DVR to HD receiver has ever been officially talked about.

7. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I think he is talking about the "Whole house DVR" and it will communicate through the RG6 cabling so those without networks can use it too. I have heard no release date for this as of yet.

8. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, I meant to type Receiver and not DVR, but regardless, I'm pretty confident DVR to DVR MRV will be coming, officially announced or not.

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The term that Chase uses is "slaves" in reference to the whole house DVR due next year.

I think the OP is talking about the WHDVR and not MRV as MRV doesn't yet support all TVs and there is much to suggest that it won't.

10. SatRick

SatRick AllStar

Jan 6, 2009
    Be interesting to see if they could utilize a SWM frequency type of set up >the cableing is already there

<Your IRD is inputed by standard means, but outputs a certain frequency that is picked up by another IRD looking for that freuquency that is not being used for input>:eek2:
    Possible?

11. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    See my post above, it's in the works...

12. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Sure is. Directv is part of the MoCA group, and so is the company that provides the SWM technology.

Now, whether that ever comes to light in a real product or not, no one knows. And if it's in testing, no one participating can talk about it anyway.

So that leads us back to what has been publicly announced at investors' conferences and whatnot: Ethernet MRV in the near-term future, SWM stuff in the further future. Details (hopefully) to follow in the coming months. :)

13. SatRick

SatRick AllStar

Jan 6, 2009
    Cool, didn't know if you were talking about secondary cables:grin:
    Kinda like what I am doin now:D

BTW,
    Is that how Fios/FO works, or is it sent router style

14. ktk0117

ktk0117 Legend

Nov 27, 2006

Are there any testing results posted anywhere for us to see?

15. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    For the private testing? :)

16. ktk0117

ktk0117 Legend

Nov 27, 2006
    Sure, why not leak out some bread crumbs for us !

17. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    So nice of you to just make things up .. Here's what Chase Carey had to say about in the Q3 2008 earnings call ..

seekingalpha.com
    Not sure how that is "much to suggest that it won't."

18. cjever19

cjever19 Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    For the Ethernet MRV, what is the approximate max length for the ethernet cable?

19. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Since my boxes are not using wired ethernet I really couldn't tell you. I imagine there are specs out there giving maximum usable lengths for Cat5e cable though that would give you a ballpark estimate.

20. pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    100 meters.