1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Room not working when internet connected

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by vb2u, Aug 22, 2010.

1. vb2u

vb2u New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Hello,
    I have a HR24 as my main box, and a H21 w/ Deca box up in our bedroom.

If I don't connect the internet/ethernet cord to the back of the HR24, the H21 will pick up the multi room DVR.

If I plug the internet into the HR24, the H21 can no longer play multi room.

This sucks b/c I can't do on Demand on the HR24, and multi room on the H21.

What do I need to do to enable both of these?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You cannot use the HR24 Ethernet port if you are using the HR24 for MRV. You need a splitter in front of your HR24, with one leg going to the HR24, and the other leg going to a DECA module connected to your router. Search on Internet Connection Kit (ICK)

3. vb2u

vb2u New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    So if I run a deca off of the router to the spliter running to the HR24, I can still plug the internet into the ethernet and get demand + MRV?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    As posted, you need a dedicated DECA to bridge to your router. It needs to have a coax off a splitter and then ethernet to your router. This DECA needs a PI for power.

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yes. You have to connect your internet router to a deca that is connected to a splitter, you cannot hook the ethernet directly to a DVR. As soon as you plug the ethernet into the DVR, it disables the DECA via coax.

If your current splitter has an open port, you can use that. Just treat the internet DECA as if it were a receiver, only instead of the coax line plugging into the deca, and then the ethernet from the deca plugging into the receiver, the ethernet from the deca would plug into your router and the coax output of the DECA would be plugged into another power inserter.

6. chscott

chscott Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    How does this happen? I just had MVR installed a few weeks ago and I too cannot use the MVR while the Internet is plugged into my HR24 DVR.

I handed the Ethernet cable directly to the installer and he plugged it into back of the DVR. Why would he not say anything?

Does DirecTV not sell or supply these DECA units?

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    In hindsight it may have not been the wisest thing to hand him the ethernet cable. Training hasn't been stellar for this new networking. Some customers are using ethernet instead of DECA networking.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Many/most satellite installers learned all that they know from DirecTV or DishNetwork, and only know what they're told. Anything else, and they are left to figure it out by themselves.

Sat installers, if they got any training at all on home networking, likely were read a few blurbs that they barely understood and quickly forgot.

The fact is that plugging in an Ethernet cable to an x24-series receiver will disable the DECA networking (the networking over the coax). The right way to get your DECA "cloud" onto your home network (and/or Internet connection) is with an additional DECA adapter dedicated just for that purpose. DirecTV calls this an "Internet Connection Kit" or ICK. Previously, a normal DECA adapter was used, but the dedicated "Broadband DECA" was just released. It's just a slightly repackaged DECA adapter.

9. vb2u

vb2u New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Anyway to get the connection kit with out paying the 49.99 in install fee?

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You could go and buy the parts yourself, like at www.solidsignal.com, or see if you can get a nice CSR to wave the installation charge.

11. mattgwyther

mattgwyther Member

May 22, 2007
    How close is Ethernet/Internet to the H21? I quick and easy solution might be to goto Best Buy / big box buy a 4-port Ethernet switch and use it to split Ethernet from the H21 and Internet into the DECA on that side.... There are diagram in the Connected Home section of this web site.