1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multi room video options for VIP722

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Spoonser, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Spoonser

Spoonser AllStar

Feb 16, 2008
    I have a 722 and I finally upgraded the upstairs TV to an HD set. I'd been watching using the built-in modulator which was perfectly fine, but of course now I'm craving an HD signal upstairs. The way I see it I can:
    1) Hope/wait for sling receiver 300
    2) Hope/wait for the XIP receivers and upgrade
    3) Use the component out and run it over CAT5e or CAT6 (not full HD but close enough for me). This means I'd be using TV1 upstairs, thereby forgoing "real" multi-room video. I'd also have to run sound.
    4) Try one of the wireless HDMI extender options and hope for the best. (again, would lose true MRV)

I also found a box that will do component to ATSC (digital OTA HD signal) over coax but they're prohibitively expensive (cheapest I found was around $550).

Am I missing any options? Does anyone have positive or negative experiences w/ any of these? Thanks.

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Add a 211 or 612 receiver to your account and connect it to upstairs HDTV.:):):)

3. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    How is this not full HD? You get 1080i over component, and my baluns do component and audio on 1 Cat5e. Got them on ebay.

4. Spoonser

Spoonser AllStar

Feb 16, 2008
    Rasputin,

I thought that they weren't pushing anything higher than 720p over the component video. The fact that they're pushing 1080i is good news if I end up going this route. Also glad to hear you can do audio over the same cable if you have the right baluns. Thanks for the reply.

boba,

Are you saying that I can watch what's recorded on my 722 via a 211 or 612 upstairs? Thanks.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Unfortunately - no. With the 612 - you could move an external HD between the 2 receivers, but not with the 211.

6. Spoonser

Spoonser AllStar

Feb 16, 2008
    Thanks Scooper.

I'm thinking I'll go for the component over cat5, though it's probably also worthwhile to check out what Direct has these days. I know they have a real MRV option.

7. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Depends on who you ask as to whether 720p gives you a better PQ or 1080i.