1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi satellite installation questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by randyshull, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randyshull

randyshull Cool Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I have a question about my unique situation. I previously received my DirecTV programming through a round dish with a dual LNB feeding an RCA 3x4 multiswitch. After upgrading to HDTV and a Hughes oval dish with the multiswitch built into the LNB I have some problems.

I had to move my dish to the far end of my building (I live in a condo) in order to receive Sat 2 at 119. I currently only have two coax runs back into my unit. My question is this: Instead of running four runs of coax across my building can I use the two dishes that I have with an external multiswitch to receive DirecTV programming?

My thought is to move my old round dual LNB dish out where my oval dish is now just to receive Sat 2 @ 119 and use the oval dish in the old round dish location which receives Sat 1 & 3 perfectly.

Will this work? What other LNBs that will fit my current oval dish and multi-switches will I need?

:confused:

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    This is problematical, since the Sat B (119) and C (110) LNBs are combined before they are output from the oval dish integrated mutliswitch. You could use a separate dish for 101 and the oval for 110/119. Connect the two lines from the round dish to the Sat A inputs of a 4x8 multiswitch. Also connect two lines from the oval dish to the Sat B inputs of the MS. The only problem is that the oval would have to have visibilty to 110 and 119.

3. randyshull

randyshull Cool Member

Oct 3, 2002
    That would actually work. Does the multiswitch have to be of the cascading variety in order to control the integrated LNB/multiswitch from the oval dish?

4. SSW_Exposure

SSW_Exposure AllStar

Jan 27, 2004
    You still end up with 4 coax runs (and a mess of extra/unnecessary parts), to feed four outputs.

5. randyshull

randyshull Cool Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Not in this situation. The oval dish can see all 3 sats but can only have 2 coax runs from it. The original round dish is on my deck and can see sat 1 perfectly.

6. SSW_Exposure

SSW_Exposure AllStar

Jan 27, 2004
    :confused:--- :confused: --- :confused:

ADDED --- Yes, If you wish to leave the round dish on your deck, you can use the oval to only receive SAT C (110) & SAT B (119) with two cables from each dish to a DTV 4x4 (5x4,4x8,5x8) multiswitch.
    It would come down to what formula of {cost vs ease vs viability} you wish to use.

7. randyshull

randyshull Cool Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Thanks, you did answer my question. I know that it doesn't make sense as to why I would want to use both dishes (when the oval does the job just fine) it all comes down to the aesthetics of running more than two coax runs across the side of my condominium complex. I don't mind but my neighbors might!

Thanks again SSW_Exposure!

8. jbraden

jbraden AllStar

Mar 23, 2004
    Also, you must use a cascadable multiswitch which outputs a 22kHz tone on the lines connected to your oval dish. That's the only way to get the built-in multiswitch on the oval dish to select the correct satellites. I picked up a JVI 35-TRDTV48 4x8 model on eBay that works great, but the Terk BMS-58 and the Zinwell 4x8 (as well as some others) should work too. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.