1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple eSATAs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rich, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Has anyone tried to use two eSATAs on one HR20? You fill up a 500 Gig and then switch to a 750. Can you go back and forth from one eSATA to the other? Does every function work on both?

The above paragraph is based on the assumption that the 500 and the 750 were both hooked up to the same HR20 originally (at different times, of course).

2. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I think I've seen from others that this works. It behaves as if you had two different HR20s.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Some folks have also successfully used multiple SATA drives in an eSATA RAID enclosure for larger storage capacities. See the eSATA External Drive thread in the "HR20 Information Resources" subForum here.

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can replace an eSATA purchased at certain stores anytime. Unfortunately, those stores don't sell the type of HD that can be put in an enclosure. My interest must remain with the eSATA and I would really like to learn from other peoples experiences and knowledge rather than wreck my own equipment. That sounds harsh, didn't mean it to be.

I had hoped to have 5 HR20s running by September, but I don't think I'm going to make it. I read somewhere that D* is going to reduce the price of the HR20 dramatically, so I am going to wait for the price to drop. And my son took one of my four into his room, so now I am down to 3. So if I were to fill up one 750 on one recorder would I be able to swap out the 750 for a new, empty 750, and then hook up the original 750 at a later date to the same HR20, will it work? Will I be able to watch the shows I recorded on the original 750?

Wow, I can't believe I wrote all that.

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Basically if you always put the drive on the same HR20, you can have as many drives "married" to that hr20 and plug and unplug them to your hearts content. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I guess I'm a little confused by your statement about those stores dont carry the types of HD you can put in an enclosure. Any internal SATA(320GB or larger) drive can be put in just about any eSATA enclosure and attached to an HR20. Heres an example from Newegg:

Heres their search page for internal SATA drives between 400GB and 750GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...150014+103530113+1035915133&name=SATA+3.0Gb/s

These drives can go in pretty much ANY eSATA enclosure...like these very inexpensive examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090092+50002177+1054107131&name=SATA

Now this is just Newegg, and one brand of enclosure....Best Buy, Circuit City, just about any computer parts store carries stuff similiar to this.

7. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    Yes you can use as many different drives on the same HR20 that you can afford to buy. Just have to power down the HR20 before you swap from one drive to the other. You'll lose all your season passes though when swapping in a drive that is being used for the very first time. Passes are stored on the drive that is hooked up at the time they are set up.

You could also use a RAID enclosure and swap sets of bare drives in and out of it as well. Once again after powering down the HR20 first of course.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Maybe I'm missing the point here, why wouldn't you just make one RAID that had as much capacity as you think you'll need?

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    That was probably going to be my next question after getting some clarification from rich584....

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I would do that happily if I could find a place that will give me all my money (shipping, taxes, and cost) back if at ANY time the HD fails or if at ANY time I want to upgrade. I can do that with eSATAs.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thanx Tom, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    But their return policies don't meet my criteria. I want to be able to return a HD ANY time in the future and get all my money back.

13. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Do you have the same buying policy for cars? If so, may I have the name of your dealer?

Costco used to offer a return policy like you're looking for, but they had to drop it to 90 days.

14. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Hey, if he can get it, more power to him. I like people who stand behind their products! :)

Cheers,
    Tom

15. devellis

devellis AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    This thread has been helpful. I have access to a drive enclosure that doesn't do RAID but that can hold multiple drives (2). There are two ESATA connectors on the enclosure for the two drives. When hooked to a PC, the PC can configure the multiple drives via RAID but the enclosure itself doesn't have that capacity. But it sounds like I could connect one of the two drives to the HR20 at a time, in essence, having two "volumes" of data that I could access as long as I mounted the correct "volume" (i.e., connected the right drive to HR20 prior to starting HR20) by connecting the ESATA cable coming from the HR20 to the proper connector on the enclosure.

I was thinking that I needed to find a way of making the system view the two drives as one big one, but it sounds like, with this approach, that isn't necessary (although it would obviously be more convenient). Is there anything I'm missing here or am I basically understanding this correctly (as far as you can tell from my description)?

Thanks for any relevant info.

16. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    You have mastered all the details. You now qualify to place your entry in the "You know you are a geek when ... " thread. :lol:

Cheers,
    Tom

17. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    So where is this mystical store that has an apparent lifetime return policy on eSATA setups? I dont know of anyone that has warranties beyond the manufacturers warranty on those Free Agents...but would love to have the opportunity to purchase from them. Drives fail occasionally, its going to happen, but I have yet to find a store or manufacturer that will give you a full refund outside of the warranty period since Costco finally wised up to how bad people were abusing their liberal policy...

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Oddly enough, I do have a rather strange way of buying cars. When you buy a new car, you finance it thru a bank and pay the bank off in monthly payments. At the end of the payments (probably 5 years), you have given the bank the cost of the car plus the interest. True? And all you have to show for this is a 5 year old car.

When I buy a car, I borrow the money from one of my stock funds and pay myself back so that after the car is paid for I have the car, all the money, principle and interest, back in my stock fund. Free car. I have argued the viability of this method with many stockbrokers and, in the end, most have agreed with me. I usually buy year old, off lease Caddies with low mileage. The heavy front end depreciation is over by that time and I save about $20,000. Free car.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think you have it right.

20. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Rich,

It's not free, but it's a good method...unless the money you withdraw from your accounts has a higher future value than the money you would spend on a loan. But this forum is about DVRs. Buying year-old cars is a good practice...you still get warranty and a nice drop in price...unless, of course, the car was from New Orleans :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.