Multiple external drives Hopper 3

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by bluegrill, May 11, 2021.

1. bluegrill

bluegrill Cool Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I have filled up my internal 2T drive and an external 2T drive connected to the front panel USB. Both work fine. Bought a 6T WD Elements and plugged it into the front USB in place of the @t drive. The 6T was recognized and formatted and works fine. Now when I try to reconnect the 2T drive I cannot get the Hopper to display the contents of both external drives. One drive at a time works fine but when I connect the second drive the first drive disappears. Is this normal behavior? Should both external drives be available ot do I have to connect them one at a time. Sorry, I posted this in the General thread first I think it belongs here

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    should be seen both
    are the EHD have own power supplies PSU ?

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I'd try one at a time.

4. bluegrill

bluegrill Cool Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Yes tried one at a time and both work one at a time. Yes they both have their own external power spply

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    While Dish says the limit on EHD's is 8T, many have reported that it may be difficult to get the 8TB hooked up at the same time, i.e. a 6T+1T seems to work fine but a 6T+2T, usually results in one drive or the other not showing.

Possibility that the actual drives may slightly in total exceed the 8T limit even though advertised as 2T or 8T they may be 2.1T or 8.1T.

Just a wild guess that popped into my head while typing.

YMMV

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Many have reported difficulty with the 6T+2T config. Could it be that one or both of those drives is slightly over the 2T or 6T specs defined by Dish for connection resulting in the drives in total being just a smidge over 8T and thus the rejection of the second drive attached?

Sorry about the double post but when looked back at the thread, my first post did not appear until after the second one was posted.

7. audiomaster

audiomaster DBSTalk Club Member

Jun 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Can someone tell me what specific HDs work with the Hopper 3? I have a couple of 1 TB My Book AV drives that work but is there a larger drive that works reliably? I have two drives in the USB ports and an off air antenna module in the third. What is the total max capacity?

8. ggulch

ggulch Cool Member

Jul 25, 2007
    I've been using a couple of Thermaltake USB 2 drive docks for EHD storage since we had a pair of 722s. Since we traded the 722s for a Hopper 3, both docks work well although occasionally one won't show up after the overnight power cycle. When that happens I power cycle the Hopper and that wakes things up.

Currently running Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM NAS HDDs, 6TB + 2TB. I wondered why Disk lists 7TB as the max HDD size and tried to use an 8TB, but the Hopper wouldn't recognize it. Maybe something coded into the current firmware? I don't have another 6TB bare drive right now to experiment with to see if the Hopper recognizes two 6TB HDDs.

HTHs,
    Ron

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    interesting... if someone knows what so special in the number [7TB] related to use as EHD ?