1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Genie Units?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bartman94, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Bartman94

Bartman94 Legend

Jan 17, 2012
    I currently have a SWiM-16 switch in my home. I have one HR34 HMC and three HR24 HD DVR's for a total of 11 tuners in use. I would like to replace one of my HR24's with another HR34 or HR44 so that I can have a total of 14 tuners available for recording streams. Can someone tell me if this is possible? I don't know of anyone with more than one Genie in their home so I want to make sure it can be done before I call D*. I wouldn't think it would be an issue because even with the new configuration I'm still not exceeding the 16 tuners that are available on my SWiM-16 switch, but again I want to verify that. Can anyone verify this for me and would this be a plug-and-play installation I can do myself or will new cables need to be ran by a D* installer?

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Not allowed by DTV only 1 per account.

3. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Call DIRECTV and ask. While the answer will be "no," it keeps it on their radar and lets them know that the demand/desire exists.

4. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    The front line CSR that answers the phone will not do anything with this info. Im sure that "they" know that some people would like more than one.

1 person likes this.
  5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    No, but you could always just add more hr24s if you need more recording tuners.

6. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Well, in that case, I suppose that the TS should contact Ellen Filipiak's office (ellen.filipiak@directv.com) to express his/her dissatisfaction with the current one-Genie-per-client policy.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    and the answer will be "sorry" but no

8. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    It cant hurt to complain in hopes that it will change, but they have some work to do before they can even consider it. It does not work right in all situations right now to have two genies on one system.

9. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    It cant hurt to complain in hopes that it will change, but they have some work to do before they can even consider it. It does not work right in all situations right now to have two genies on one system.

Agreed ever since I installed my HR44 to go with my HR34, two C31s and two HR24s I've had issues with the C31s and playlist drops across the board (static IPs appears to have helped with this).

10. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    And I acknowledged that in my initial reply. The point is to register the complaint, which, apparently, some feel will fall on deaf ears at the front lines, so upward it should definitely go.

11. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    We're so keen on internet contact..bet she hasn't received a hand written letter in 10 years. Just saying.

-=K=-

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    14 shows at once...I watch and record A LOT of tv, but wow...thats huge. When would you ever be able to watch that much? I dont think I've ever seen 14 shows on at the same time I wanted to record.... :righton:

13. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    14 shows at once...I watch and record A LOT of tv, but wow...thats huge. When would you ever be able to watch that much? I dont think I've ever seen 14 shows on at the same time I wanted to record.... :righton:

If referring to my setup it's more so everyone has their own HDDVR and PIP in 2 rooms, not for eleven at once. At my old house pre genie days I was running 6 HDDVRs in a 3 bed plus basement setup...I'm one of those that doesn't like being limited on pause/rewind of live TV.

But back on subject with static IPs my genies haven't had issues loosing connections with each other. The main irritating issue is if a C31 has been turned off for more than a few hours when it turns back on it ask to pick a server to connect to, I wish it would save that info. It's almost so annoying it makes me want to put one of my inactive HR24s back in that room.

I have another client that's having issues with her dual HR34s plus another 5 differing models of HDDVRs loosing connection with each other. We setup static IPs for her recently and so far that's fixed it for her too.

While I know some have posted saying that setting static IPs only hides the true underlying issue with the home network I can say it helps, at least for the few weeks these two locations have been setup with them.

So in regards to the OPs question about getting a 2nd genie I think it's more of a technical issue not supply, especially when clients are involved since they constantly ask which genie to connect to. I could only imagine the normal customer issues that would cause.

14. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Weird,as I have seen static ips cause more problems than they solve lately.

15. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    Weird,as I have seen static ips cause more problems than they solve lately.

What type of issues? I've only set static twice that I can remember and so far (knock on wood...) both have been good.

If there are issues with this I'm all ears...but maybe better a subject for a dedicated thread

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Such as? All I ever use is static.

17. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Why turn off the Genie at all, ever? Seems a simple fix to stop such an annoying matter.

18. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Both static and dynamic IPs have worked equally well/poorly in my experience. Guess it would also depend on one's router; one might be favored over the other by a bit.

19. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    The original question of multiple Genie units has been asked multiple times...Why oh Why do people ask the question they know the answer too..Directv has made it abundantly clear that you cannot have more than 1 Genie...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    and don't you think they are aware aware of that?