1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Genies - Directv CSR said yes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by milton, Jun 23, 2018.

1. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    One of my HR24 receivers died, and Directv said they could not give me another HR24 for free. Rather they would give me another Genie receiver. I already have a Genie, and I asked him three times to verify that he wasn’t offering me just a Mini to go with my existing Genie.

He said I could add another Genie (master) receiver to my account.

Is this policy correct? I was under the assumption that you could only have one Genie.

Does having two work technically?

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    No, they won't activate a second Genie.

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Order it and See for yourself and report back - let us know after the install

4. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    Yes-please order it to see if the policy has changed.

I would love to swap out my HR24 for a HR44 or even a HR54. It may even be worth a few dollars more a month for this option. I have never understood why Directv has this policy.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    REASONS:
    1. Service calls-generated by Double customers (NOT) power users able to handle any problems.
    2. Loss of Revenue - If customers Could have 2 Genies - they may remove most of there other equipment reducing montly equipment expense.

REASONS for a Possible Change

1. Loss of Sat customers
    2. Swim upgrade (LNB) to support more than 8 tuners Without adding More Wiring or Extra external SWIM equipment.

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    REASONS why not:
    It does not work properly. the genies get confused managing clients particularly on startup/restarts. At one stage DirecTV had a small group testing multiple genies and there were all kinds of problems. DirecTV has never felt it worthwhile to solve the technical issues

WestDC likes this.
  7. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Not happening

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There shouldn't be any reason that multiple HS17s would have this problem though, since they register clients differently than HRx4 Genies.

But I agree this is almost certainly a CSR being wrong, rather than Directv's policy changing and no one hearing about it yet.

9. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    The easy resolution to this is to set a policy to either allow a customer to have clients or multiple genies, but not both.

10. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Genies cost them a lot more than clients, they wouldn't want to give people four Genies for the same price as one Genie and three clients. I mean, who would say no to that if it was the same price (ignoring 4K)

They'd also have to spend more money having the installer rewire them if they exceeded the limitations of a SWM LNB, that's more money it costs them...

11. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    This will work for me. All I want is two genies and no clients.

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I'm really curious to see if this is doable. I'm also wondering what the OP is going to have to go through to return the Genie when it comes when he realizes that it's not going to work. This is the type of thing that happens a lot more with AT&T.

13. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I doubt the system would let a CSR order him another Genie. I don't think there's any hope for more than one of the HRx4 Genies on an account. You'd have to hold out your hope that they eventually allow more than one Genie 2 - the way it associates with clients is different so they don't cause problems 'fighting over clients'.

Something's gotta give eventually, with HR2x getting older that's becoming a less viable solution for large residential installs. Once real 4K channels arrive without a solution those people might have nowhere to turn. Directv would limit the number of TVs they support, Dish could support lots of TVs with Hopper 3s but doesn't have the bandwidth to handle more than a handful of 4K channels, cable may or may not be an option depending on where someone lives and streaming 4K to a bunch of TVs at once is probably not an option - though gigabit service is becoming more common offering it and being able to constantly deliver hundreds of megabits a second even during peak periods are two very different things.

I don't see any way they won't have to support multiple Genie 2s on an account eventually for commercial customers. It seems highly unlikely they'll introduce a standalone 4K receiver, so the only other alternative would be something like the recently announced COM3000 which is costly and requires spending even more beyond that unit for something to decode Pro:Idiom on every TV. If that was the only option for 4K I'd stick with HD!

14. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Do people want multiple Genies or a Genie with more tuners in it (more than 7)?

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm happy with two tuners per DVR (although three would be better). And I'd be really happy if I can program any DVR via all DVRs in my whole home setup.

I'm not interested in a head unit with only clients.

16. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    +1,000,000 on both. I've already gone through one 34 with a bad power supply and a 44 with a bad HDMI port. No way I would ever want a single point of failure that takes out every TV in my house.

17. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Did they do it for you?

18. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I want more Genies. I take my HR24 with me when taking trips in my motorhome. The two tuner limit hurts a lot on these trips. My HR44 stays at home recording most of the local shows and I use the HR24 to record the others.

19. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    Yeah.. I am waiting to hear if you have more then one genie...

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I wouldn't' wait ... it will not happen tomorrow