1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple HDMI device advice needed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by edmartin, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 3, 2007 #1 of 45
    edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    I have my HR20-700 connected to my Sony TV via HDMI (the TV has DVI in, so I use an HDMI to DVI adaptor). I'm about to add a new HD DVD player to the mix. But I only have the 1 HDMI/DVI in on the TV. My choices are to run either the HR20 or HD DVD player via component or I could get an HDMI switch.

What would you suggest (and if you suggest a switch, which one)?

2. Jun 3, 2007 #2 of 45
    vic3435

vic3435 New Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I have been using a sima 3 inputs 1 output and it been working great got it at circuit city for 149.00

3. Jun 3, 2007 #3 of 45
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I use this switch as well, and it works great with the HR20 and my RCA DLP. RCA only has DVI, so I use HDMI to DVI cable from the switch.

However, my Sony upconverting DVD jukebox does not work though the switch. I don't think it is the switch, as it didn't work through a Sony HDMI pass through receiver either. Works great directly throught the HDMI/DVI cable directly to the TV, but put any other component in the middle and the DVD doesn't work. Seems to be the HDCP handshaking.

I'd be prepared to run one of them through component, even if you purchase a switch.

4. Jun 3, 2007 #4 of 45
    dshafer

dshafer Mentor

Dec 15, 2006
    HDMI switches work quite well. Go to monoprice.com and search on HDMI switch. They have several, with diffferent number of ports and remote/non-remote. Monoprice has the best prices I have found on the web for cables/audio/video equipment.

5. Jun 3, 2007 #5 of 45
    TivoNut

TivoNut Cool Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Does anyone have any experience with Octava switches, specifically the "4 x 1 HDMI Switch with Optical Toslink Routing?"

6. Jun 3, 2007 #6 of 45
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I just looked at the Circuit City switches - can inputs be switched remotely? I always leave my HD DVRs on, so I wouldn't want any switches that "auto-sense" ...

7. Jun 3, 2007 #7 of 45
    celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    monoprice has a5x1 Hdmi switch with remote control for only $59.40! it works great! when i bought this a few months ago i paid $97.00 for it and now the price has come down into the $50.00 range! i saw similar 5x1 switchers going for $149.00 and up at best buy and circuit city.

8. Jun 3, 2007 #8 of 45
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    My Sima switch from Circuit city came with a remote to switch inputs. It also has an enhance signal button that is a manual button only, no remote on/off for that. I use a harmony remote, and harmony knew the right codes to send when I picked the device.

One drawback for some may be that it doesn't have an on/off function. I have it plugged into my a/v receiver, so it only comes on when I need it.

9. Jun 4, 2007 #9 of 45
    techntrek

techntrek Godfather

Apr 26, 2007
    There is no quality difference between component and HDMI. Buy a $25 component cable at Wal-Mart and move on with your life.

10. tivoboy

tivoboy Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    well, that just ain't accurate, sorry

DVI and HDMI same, component and hdmi, differant.

11. techntrek

techntrek Godfather

Apr 26, 2007
    Sorry to break your bubble but the only reason HDMI was brought to market was to add content protection - and to add a carrot to the stick they added audio. The analog-to-digital conversion done via component produces the same output signal as HDMI with only a slightly worse error rate. And over long runs component does better than HDMI every time.

I have both set up and there is zero difference in output quality.

Don't buy into the "all digital is better" hype. Nope. In fact, as of today HDMI doesn't work correctly AT ALL for some TVs and video game systems on the market...

12. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007

+1

13. MRinDenver

MRinDenver Legend

Feb 3, 2003
    I agree it is impossible to tell the difference, visually. The only real advantage to hdmi is the one wire vs three wire connection. I use a component connection from my dvr switched through my receiver, then out to the plasmas via hdmi. Saves me an additional switchable hdmi input for other toys!

14. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Maybe that's YOUR opinion on YOUR HDTV. I don't have perfect eyesight either, but I CAN tell the difference. Images do look sharper with HDMI/DVI, IMHO. :D

15. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007

Sigh...
    Nobody is saying that there isn't a difference. Both signals have the same resolution, and the VAST majority of visual difference in the HDMI input vs. the Component input on the same TV is going to be a result of the calibration of that particular input.

PQ is subjective. Yes, HDMI and component will be different, which is better or worse is only in the eye of the beholder. There is nothing magic about HDMI.

16. MRinDenver

MRinDenver Legend

Feb 3, 2003
    Now let's get into the arguement about which is better: Toslink or Coax for audio!

:lol:

17. Bish

Bish Mentor

Apr 20, 2007
    I see a VERY slight improvement with DVD/HDMI versus component. This on a Mits WD-62525 DLP at 720P resolution. I went with the Monoprice 4x1 switch primarily for cabling convenience.

I figure Digital from the card to digital at the set is better than digital to analog out of the card to analog-digital on the TV. I'm guessing no d-a conversion is better than d-a and then a-d. Just my 2 cents.

Toslink and coax (for sound) are both digital as far as I know so I don't believe there is any difference.

18. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Simple!

Just throw in a pair of red-white cables and now you're talkin'. :lol:

19. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Hence my ":D " and the IMHO in my post. :)

20. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    But that won't stop some from claiming that they can hear a difference. Some will even claim that they can hear a difference between plastic fibers and glass fibers.

As with all things, to each his own, YMMV, and do what works best for you. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.