1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple software threads (split from "921s-started testing for new S/W")

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by BobaBird, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Please include "L215" in the thread title.

2. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    Nope.. not me..

You should know my threads by now ..they are created mostly for statistical purposes and for any side discussions that might come along...

and called "XXXs - started testing...........etc"

Inside of those threads is just a mention of new version.. and then it's generally listed (the s/w #)

Then next time when there is another version for the particular model.. i just dig out the thread and go to it.. and continue in it..

If the version is mentioned in the thread name.. - that would mean a New thread would have to be open each time there is a new version out...
    And that wasn't / isn't my original intent and strategy .. (when i created those threads)..
    They were created primarily for the above described purpose....

The threads describing s/w version(s) .. exist also most of the time..
    And other threads also exist - those describing "new things" in that particular release... where discussion is not even possible..

I hope i made myself more or less clear.. - it's not my intent to put s/w version in the thread title...
    Wanna keep same thread for the future.. and go back to it..
    (and then for example .. a year or two from now.. still go back to it.. and see the approx. dates (or even exact dates) when any particular version was released.. (just by looking at the date of the post.. if the date s/w was released is not mentioned in the post.. which it is anyhow.. most of the times) ... etc etc) :)

3. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002

I agree.

Darkman,

It would help a LOT if you included the version number in the thread title. And I think there should be a new thread for each version number (I hate reading old threads). One other pet peeve that I have is that you use the term "testing". It would be MUCH better if you said "spooling" or "starting to deploy" since "testing" is not the correct terminology and really sounds like some hacking term.

We really do appreciate your posts about software updates.

4. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    ... Even if not a "correct terminology", could be interpreted as just a slang...

originally, i used "testing".. (as a a bit of sarcasm...) - cuz often new S/W that is being spooled .. is kinda like like "testing" (to some even in more stronger way than to others) ... kinda even like "giving new things to try to experimental rabbits, rats, etc"

Later.. i decided to just keep it consistant.. (to be able to find 'em easier if Searching for those threads, etc)

So.. "started testing" is not really a big deal (IMHO) .. doesn't sound (to me anyhow) nor promotes hacking in any way... and harmless (even if IS a bit of sarcastic) .. to compare with some other threads.. - constant whining, complaining and abuse that goes on in them :)

5. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    I figured that "testing" was a bit of sarcasm on your part and not a reference to hacking but still that "term" (testing) is there and something that many of us relate to the want-to-be crooks.

I much perfer the way that Jason Nipp and others do it with a thread tille like "322 - L2.42 Software Now Spooling".

6. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    lol, that is why Jason Nipp is here.. - to among many other things, post it his way (or the way some might like) .. and he IS welcome to do so.. Good for him.. and for the forum... expecially of people like it... ;)

.. but all of us are NOT Jason Nipp .. and thanks god for that (no offence there, Jason Nipp) .. or we all would have been as if we were cloned to be the same.. and that would have made the board to be nothing but boring...

I hear you ..and some others who think that way (about my thread(s)) .. but i prefer to do it the way i was doing it.. - as my threads were intended for a statistical purposes only ..AND ..specifically and purposely to "keep it all in one thread"

...Don't go against any Forum's rules
    ...Some seem not to mind..and even participate a little in those threads (commenting a bit or something as "will come home - will give it a try") .. etc etc
    ...I feel i ve earned the right to have those the way i prefer, expecially if they don't go against any Forum's rule.. ------> so lets continue with our daily routines..and stop the little bickering (or whatever way one might interprete it to be) :)

7. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I'll grab this one before Nick does....

no offense taken DM. :grin:

8. pweezil

pweezil LGOE/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Oct 11, 2002
    If they weren't "testing" the software, then why limit it to just 10,000 receivers? Sure sounds like testing to me. :D

9. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    LOL.....

BTW, I like your avatar. :grin:

10. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    and i say... Life is a Test in itself! :)

Maybe we should close this thread.. (or keep it open for a chit-chat) ..and i ll just Open another simular one instead of it (or in addition to it) ;)

11. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Exactly correct. It IS a test. No question about it, and if E* posted here honestly, they would say that. It's a final pre-release test sent to a relatively small percentage of receivers. Probably on the order of 10% or so.

12. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Many of us can probably relate to that avatar :sure:

As often... many of us look exactly like that more likely :D

13. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Ahh, that's new, having this be a thread for the receiver's history. You had been making a new thread for each new version and that's why I wanted to see a more meaningful title.
    Since your threads are usually first, there was no reason for anyone else to create another discussion thread. But now you've changed the intent of the thread.
    Why not?? Just how many threads to we need for one specific topic?

Oh, you left out the threads started by the people who don't read anything first. Those are the ones titled "new software" or "just got the update" with no mention of the version or even the receiver.
    I'm doing something similar on the EKB, but only with the initial release date. I haven't attempted to track when a version goes widespread or becomes no longer available. And while I usually get updates posted within a week you're right on top of all these changes. :up:
    That's my whole point, just from a different perspective. :) Your "all" is all the release dates. My "all" is all the general discussion of each version. This place may just be big enough for both.

Could one of the mods split this thread starting at post 3?

14. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Ya.. should be split (this particular thread got off topic somewhat)

as to:
    Nope.. I had been making a new thread ONLY .. when the particular "XXXs - started testing .. blah blah" thread name didn't exist - Like for these 921s (i think it got deleted or locked previously.. and i discussed with Mods the future intent of those)

So "921s" didn't exist (my type anyhow).. that is why i opened it..
    But Generally i just go to the existing thread.. created already for each particular model... and continue in it..

I just go to Search ..and search for something like "started testing" (string) there.. - hehe - and it shows me all of them...

Others are welcome to do the same by the way.. and continue in those threads instead of me (if see something first).. just keep it kinda in the same manner.. something like:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    According to DISH's software upgrade page:
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/technical/software_versions/index.asp (this is Optional .. sometimes i put it ..sometimes i don't.. but in the first post of a thread - a good idea to put.. and then sometimes to mention the link again)

Some XXXss started to test new S/W version - X.XX:

XXX -- X.XX -- as of XX/XX/2005

The "wide-spread" version to-date still seems to be L2.13
    (or if the version is a "wide-spread" already - than mention about it accordingly)
    :)

15. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Split per Charles and DM's request.

However, would one of you care to name the new thread?:rolleyes:

16. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Wow!! you think its 100,000 921's.

17. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Thanks, Jason. How about: Multiple software threads (split from "921s-started testing for new S/W")

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.