Multiroom Dish - Can I use Harmony remote

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ixoyewarrior, Sep 28, 2014.

1. ixoyewarrior

ixoyewarrior New Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Tampa
    I have Dish network with several tvs in different rooms. The main room already has a Harmony remote control which works great with my complicated system. I have another TV in a different room with DVD player that I would like to also use a Harmony. I understand that the Dish receiver uses IR for my main setup and that any additional rooms will communicate with that receiver through RF. Question, can I use a second Harmony remote to communicate with the Dish receiver using RF? Any google searches have left me more confused as I am reading that they Dish is a special exception to the RF rule for Harmony remotes. Any support before purchasing another remote would be helpful.

2. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    More information needed. With Hopper/Joey you can use IR with either unit.

3. ixoyewarrior

ixoyewarrior New Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Tampa
    My receiver says it is a ViP722k DVR. I know it is not a hopper or Joey.

4. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    A 722K uses IR for TV1 but uses UHF for TV2 Harmony doesn't use the same UHF frequency that the FCC has assigned to DISH for their RF remotes. Harmony should be usable with TV1. TV1 may have to be on remote address #1 to be compatible with Harmony. Remote for TV2 blue tab at bottom of remote is a universal remote and may be programmed to operate other components. If it is a 21.x UHF remote it has LEARNING capabilities so you can program it to operate your other components.

5. ixoyewarrior

ixoyewarrior New Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Tampa
    Just so I understand what you are saying. I am unable to use a Harmony remote on TV2, just TV1. I already have TV1 setup and working great with Harmony. TV two is also working but would prefer to use a second Harmony remote. I am aware that the Dish 21.x is a learning remote but I have young children that are confused at simple steps such as:

Watch DVD - turn on tv, change tv input to hdmi 1, turn on dvd player
    Watch netflix - turn on tv, change tv input to hdmi 1, turn on dvd player, start netflix
    Watch dish- turn on tv, change input to tv, turn on dish network
    etc.

Is there any workaround or options

6. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    DISH has (or had) an IR to UHF converter for TV2. I do not remember the part number.

7. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Using a Google search I found Dishdepot has 9 on ebay at $49.99 so it seems they are still available

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Harmony remotes generally do NOT support direct RF control of devices (be it DISH or any other hardware provider). Harmony has some RF remotes that communicate with a base station that sends out IR signals.

If the second room isn't all that "complicated", you may be able to use a DISH RF remote to control the satellite receiver, TV and DVD player.

I suspect the reason you aren't finding anything is that you're asking from the DISH angle and the issue is really a Harmony question.

9. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The appropriate term is "had" and the device converted TV2 control from RF to IR.

I actually saw a TV2 IR converter for sale at my local DISH dealer last week.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Officially, they are discontinued.

11. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    I thought they were also but as long as Dishdepot has them on ebay they are still available. I suspect when DISH introduced them in 2009 they thought there was more of a market than what actually developed. This is probably what is left of Dishdepots 2009 purchase.

12. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Get your kids an HD TV, they're really cheap now, and upgrade to Hopper/Joey.

13. ixoyewarrior

ixoyewarrior New Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Tampa
    I already have HD TV's, several. Not sure if I want to update to Hopper though as I already pay to much for Dish.

14. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    And the kids watch SD on the HD TV? You have no idea what you're missing for the few bucks extra for Hopper/Joey.

And Harmonys work...