1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multiswitch and swm together?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tWs|BullDog, Sep 5, 2013.

1. tWs|BullDog

tWs|BullDog Cool Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am sorry if this question has been asked before but i cant seem to find an answer. I have an older I think(i know i upgraded from an 8port) 16 port multiswitch with the thoughts of running more cable in the house to feed the other dvrs. Well i never seem to have the time to do it, so i was wondering if i could get and 8 turner swm to feed 2 dvrs with one cable and just leave the rest on the multiswitch.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    A hybrid system like that is not supported, but you can do it on your own if you want to. I am running an SWM16 and a WB68 in parallel with no problem. You need four green label splitters with dual port power passing. Connect the four coax from the dish to the inputs of the 4 splitters. Then connect the outputs to the same inputs on the two switches (so that the 13V no tone input on both switches comes from one splitter, the 13V 22KHz input on both comes from the second splitter, etc.).

However, I would convert all of your receivers/DVRs to SWM if they are capable of doing so. There is no reason not to. If you have some legacy receivers that will not do SWM, then feed them from the WB8/16.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Is it that you haven't taken the time to replace legacy receivers?

Otherwise, I can't think of a reason to hold back as SWM requires less cables and no BBCs.

If you subscribed to Whole Home DVR service, I'd hope that DIRECTV would set you up for free (including replacing any non-SWM receivers) and you'd be up and running in a fraction of a day.

4. tWs|BullDog

tWs|BullDog Cool Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have 5 HD dvrs, with the oldest being and orginal hr20-700. I was thinking that if i just bought the SWM8 it would svae me some time and money. Now i doesnt seem like it does if i have to buy special splitters. As far as whole home DVR I have had it from the start, I have 2 cat5e ports in every room in the house and have had the directv boxes plugged right into them from the start. I guess i will look into getting a SWM 16.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Carl, if the OP (well TS) has a Zinwell 6x16 the TS can connect the SWM8 to the 6x16 since it it powered. no need for splitters.

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Do they even make green label splitters that are dual power passing? I've never seen such a thing. I think you'd need to (gasp!) use splitters that have a different color label :)

I'd recommend buying dual power passing splitters that are diode steered to prevent any chance of DC backfeeding (they're only a dollar or so more than dual power passing that aren't diode steered so its cheap insurance) I used the Holland HFS-2D to split the four LNB coaxes between my two SWM-16s.

However, like peds48 says, if TS has the Zinwell 6x16 he can connect a SWM8 to it and won't need any splitters. I would recommend TS consider buying a SWM16 instead of a SWM8 so that if/when he decides to upgrade to SWM he will already have what he needs. If you buy the SWM16 off Ebay the price difference between it and the SWM8 is pretty small. If you hook the SWM16 up to the Zinwell you can slowly upgrade to SWM, one receiver at a time, until the only thing left on the Zinwell is the SWM16, at which point you can simply remove it and connect the dish directly to the SWM16.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
  8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the Zinwell 6x16 switches are (were) great switches. I still have some laying around.