1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiswitch swap out

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by JAYHAWKER2, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAYHAWKER2

JAYHAWKER2 Cool Member

Sep 23, 2007
    I added another HR20 last week so they had to add a multi switch. The installer
    only had a sam-4803. I told her it was not wideband and even showed her the zinwell website that stated this model was not compatible with the 5lnb. I just got off the phone with D* and got the tech support to finally agree to swap it out
    because it did not say "wideband". The installer said her company would not even issue WB68 switches to them. What do I do if they show up with anything other than a WB68? Can I call D* tech support and have them talk to the installer or just
    refuse the install and reschedule? The problem is it is working for now. I get all the mpeg4 channels, but the lower transponder numbers are all over the place. They are between 15 and 70 on various tuners. I assume they are not using them yet so until they light those up I may not have a problem. If I don't get them to make it right now and the 90 day install warranty expires I will be paying $70
    to fix their ignorance. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I would try to call the local install company and make sure they bring the right one.

If they don't bring it I would call DirecTV while the installer is there.

3. JAYHAWKER2

JAYHAWKER2 Cool Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Thanks, I,ll do that

4. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    When you call D* make sure that the WB68 is listed on the work order and not just in the notes. I find it hard to believe that the install company does not issue the WB68 for the installers but, if it comes to it, buy your own Wb68 and D* will most likely credit your account. You will find many posts, on this site, from people who have done just this.

5. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    You can easily get one on ebay for less than $20 shipped. I realize that this is not something that you should expect to have to pay for. But I would much rather spend $20 and not have to deal with multiple trips from incompetent installers.

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Our warehouse don't like to give them out unless they are on a workered. Makes it a real PITA to have spares for service calls or when you need to add one when the customer adds on additional boxes.

They became tight about them when they discovered that my coworkers were installing them instead of 4x8s. The 4x8s we have need power. So using a 6x8 saves a few minutes of time by not having to run that power line. But it costs the cheap HSP $$$.

You should see the flameing hoops we have to jump through to get a 6x16.

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    As BMore points out, call the local office directly.

Also, it's not the techs fault if they won't give him/her the proper equipement to install.

8. JAYHAWKER2

JAYHAWKER2 Cool Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Unfortunatley I'm not sure of the name of the install company, she didn't leave any paperwork when she installed the HR20. The girl I talked to at D* did not seem to know the model numbers of the wideband multi switches, I had to tell her
    it should have been a wb68. She said she would put on the work order that it must be a wideband multi switch. Hopefully they will send the right one. Fortunately I don't work on fridays and usually just hang out anyway so I don't have to lose any work to mess with this. Thanks for all the help. :)

9. JAYHAWKER2

JAYHAWKER2 Cool Member

Sep 23, 2007
    By the way, how come your company is sending the 4X8's? You have to be installing nothing but 5LNB dishes and zinwell specifically says they are not
    compatible with the 5LNBs. If you look at question 9 of the FAQ from zinwell
    it shows not to use it. It seems that on mine it only is effecting the lower transponders. If this is the case with everyone, it won't be much savings swapping out the 4803 when D* starts using those transponders.

http://zcwc.com/zcwc/tech_support/index_faq.shtml

10. rirwin1983

rirwin1983 Legend

Dec 11, 2005
    shoot we dont even have we616 at all in our warehouse, were told to use 2 wb68, which goes against wahat dtv trained us on.

11. rirwin1983

rirwin1983 Legend

Dec 11, 2005
    hes refering to tripple sat (old hd dish) installs, where there are more than 4 imputs needed, or on at 18" dish needing more than 4 lines from the 3x4 switch.

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Exactly.

13. JAYHAWKER2

JAYHAWKER2 Cool Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Makes sense I suppose, but I would think D* would insist on using only forward
    compatible equiptment, assuming they go forward with a complete mpeg4
    transition in the next two years. But what D* would like and what they end up
    with from the HSPs is two vastly different things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.