1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiswith and new Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dhall2276, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhall2276

dhall2276 Cool Member

Nov 28, 2005
    What are the two extra inputs on a 6x8 or 6x16 switch for? I have the new 5lnb dish and there are only 4 lines coming from the dish. Did my installer just jip me on the dish install?

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    They are for the 72.5 dish (needed for some cities local channels) and the 95 dish (needed for some international programming). Most subscribers do not use/need either of those, and 4 lines from the 5-LNB dish to the multiswitch is normal.

Carl

3. dhall2276

dhall2276 Cool Member

Nov 28, 2005
    So if I dont have use for the 72.5 and 95 dishs why does DTV tell me i have to get rid of my old5x8 multi in favor of a 6x? I am not recieving the new HD channels and tech support says i need a new multi switch. Any truth to that?

4. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    The old multiswitch does not have the bandwidth and frquency range for the signals from the new satellite.

Bob

5. TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    you are one of the lucky ones. Many have been told they do NOT need a new multiswitch, and they do, so take it and run.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As someone else noted, the older multiswitches do not have the required bandwidth for the new signals. They simply won't pass them through.

Yes, it is true that you need a new multiswitch. The WB68 was designed not only to pass the new signals, but also to accomodate all of the possible installation configurations. It's easier (and cheaper) to build one switch to do it all, than to have 2 or 3 different models to accomodate the limited cases where the other dishes are needed.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.