1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Murdoch: No DirecTV Talks Yet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Steve Mehs, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    In an interview with Newsweek's Max Walsh, News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch said there's no firm discussions between the media giant for DirecTV and Hughes, both controlled and presumably being shopped by General Motors.

Murdoch said of DirecTV, "Right now there is no play. I think you're asking me at the very moment that the board of General Motors is sitting, but we have no offer, nor have we been asked to make one. There are no discussions at this stage."

The News Corp. exec said he would like to get DirecTV, "but the answer is not at any price. It's obviously, strategically, a good thing to have, but it's not the end of the world if we don't get it. If anybody makes impossible demands then we're quite happy to walk away from it."

As for News Corp.'s interest in EchoStar, Murdoch said he had spoken with CEO Charlie Ergen once about a deal, but added that Ergen may have held more discussions with Liberty Media. "I don't really believe him, that (EchoStar) really is for sale. We'll wait and see," Murdoch said.

From SkyReport (Used with Permission)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.