Music and Pictures?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by Athenian, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Athenian

Athenian Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    I am confused about the requirements to use the Music and Pictures option on my new DirecTiVo. I browse the folders on my network from the HR24 but the DirecTivo just has entries for "broadband". Do I have to wait for some extra software somewhere? When it becomes available, will I be able to see the pictures on my server even though the DirecTiVo is not directly connected to my network?

Thank you.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You need to download TiVo desktop from TiVo.com and when you install it, tell it you have a directv receiver.

3. Athenian

Athenian Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    Thank you very much!

That was incredibly easy to set up. Our photos are all on a Windows Home Server. All we had to do was to install TiVo Desktop on the server then select the folders to share: they showed up on the new TiVo DVR immediately. The unit is in a room that doesn't have a CAT5 connection and I was worried that it might not work.

We're really having fun with the THR22.

Thanks again.

Athena

4. dirk1843

dirk1843 Cool Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Will this work with any type of NAS, or does it have to be a PC that is up and running to "serve" the content to the TiVo?

5. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I think you need to be running TiVo Desktop and I don't think that would work on most NAS's.

6. dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    You could map the NAS to a Windows drive letter and then use TiVo Desktop to share it that way.

7. Athenian

Athenian Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    It has to be a PC (Windows or Mac) with a service running. I installed it on our Windows Home Server and it's working well for us.

8. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I'm wondering if the TiVo server in my ReadyNAS Ultra4+ would be recognized by the THR22. Supposedly it works with standalone TiVos.

9. joeinwap

joeinwap New Member

Oct 23, 2008
    North...
    TiVo Desktop: New features in version 2.8.3
    DIRECTV customers can publish their personal music and photo libraries to their TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV.

Looks like you ReadyNAS will have to have version 2.8.3 installed for the THR22 to be able to talk to it.

10. alexginga

alexginga Mentor

Dec 25, 2003
    Did anybody try installing the paid version of the Tivo Desktop on their PC/Mac to connect to THR22?

How about the Tivo App for iPhone/iPad?

I clearly remember the Network remote functionality in the THR22 settings menu. Perhaps the Tivo App can control the DTivo DVR similar to http://www.waltzremote.com for HR2x series receivers...

Would it be appropriate to assume that as DirecTivo software is upgraded - more of the system features will be available to the users?

Your thoughts? :confused:

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm sorry to report that the TiVo apps for the standalones won't work for the thr22. Never say never, but it's pretty unlikely you'll see this functionality added.

The thr22 just isn't designed as a cutting edge device. If you had an old directivo and you liked it just the way it was, the new thr22 should be right in your wheelhouse.

12. alexginga

alexginga Mentor

Dec 25, 2003
    I hear you, Steward

The good news is that the Tivo Desktop software installed and worked our nicely for me..

Another good news is that the Tivo iPad app also worked for me - showing me the program guide (including the international channels I have subscribed to) as well as program suggestions.

The sad news - I was not able to register on Tivo.com for the Tivo app to work fully, so I was only able to login as a guest..

Sadly - I am in limbo - I cannot use the DirecTV iPad app, but I also cannot take full advatage of the Tivo app for me THR22. Since we are paying monthly fees ($6) to Tivo in addition to our DirecTV DVR fee - we should demand that they include us into their customer support base, even if to a limited degree..

Collaboration b/w Tivo and DirecTV is not a one time thing, it is an ongoing venture. Who do we talk to about the maintenance and future upgrade path for the DirecTivo software?

For example my booklet included references to KidsZone, but an inserted note said that this feature is not yet available. Should we assume - it will be available in the future?