1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 1 week old replacement 510 is DEAD!

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Hoobastank, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoobastank

Hoobastank Legend

Mar 9, 2004
    :mad:
    My first 510 that was 9 months old was replaced by this one that we have had for 6 days, it it too is dead.

Come home from work, sit down to watch some tv, decided to set up a timer on a show, hit the search button, and it said "error" on the search screen. I thought it was weird, I did a seach for another show, same error message. Turned the receiver off, then back on, searched again, error message was back. Then the damn thing turns off and back on by iteself, does the "acquiring satellite signal" test and then this appears:

ERROR 311

A serious problem has been detected
    with your hard disk drive, error code: 04bc
    Please call 1-800-333-DISH

Oh yeah, I called them. On hold for 10 minutes for tech support. I had to unplug the unit for 2 minutes, plug back in. I described to the guy what the unit was doing... turns itself on, does the "acquiring satellite signal" crap, then turns itself off, then back on and repeat. For a total of 4 times before the previous error 311 appears again. Guy informs me it's not going to work. Sending out another one.

The funny thing is, the last POS I returned to them is still in transit to them. Oh, the irony... I'm laughing soo hard.

510s are gigantic piece of *#&%! Seriously, I don't care what anyone says about them, and how much they love theirs, and how perfect it's been for them. Truth be told, they are unreliable (extremely in my case,) technologically inferior to other similar devices, and cheaply made for the masses.

I guarantee I will be compensated generously for this unfortunate string of events that I call the DVR 510. I won't even get into the shipping fiasco that delayed this shipment for 2 weeks.

2. Geeke19

Geeke19 Legend

Oct 16, 2004
    had my 510 for almost 3 months with out any problems, hope your problems work get fixed so you can be happy.

3. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    The quality we have come to expect from Dish Network DVR's.

4. Pils

Pils AllStar

Sep 20, 2004
    Another succesful E* customer! Sorry to hear. I have been there, had a 501 I bought that crapped out and had 5 refurbs sent, all with different problems. Finally got it replaced with a working new box, not the refurbed. Any refurb you get will have some flaw, they don't fix em. Demand a brand new 510, have them check the history of the receiver number. This company is bad news.

5. SPECIES11703

SPECIES11703 AllStar

Oct 10, 2004

I have a 510 and so far no hickups yet. I did notice though that my 510 comes with a Seagate branded hard drive. I work in returns at a computer store so I see alot of these hard drives returned because of poor performance and crashing issues. JVC who makes the 510 for E* should use a better quality drive(Maxtor) or (Western Digital). I hope you have better luck with your next replacement!

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    One correction for you, DISH makes the receiver for JVC. :)

7. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    As long as you are dealing with DISH remanufactured receivers expect a 30-40% failure rate. Many remans are DHP/DHA returns that are given a cursory inspection then reshipped as Remanufactured product.

8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    "cursory inspection" = Plug it in, if power light comes on, ship it.

I swear they don't even bother to hook up even one of the outputs to a monitor.

9. nightstick911

nightstick911 Cool Member

Dec 20, 2003
    I had a search error right after the new s/w update. i just held the power button down and did a reboot, now all is well. 510 is great, hardly a glich since i've had it.

10. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I had three 501's go bad. The first was a bad hard drive then bad tuners after that. I had to speak with Sonya Cartright to get a new one and she gave me one without any hesitation. By the way, the 501 was for a showroom. Just goes to show that you have to go out of your way to get a new replacement even if your a retailer. When I got that new 501 I sold it cheaper than what they were going for just to get rid of it. The only other DVR I had to return was a 721 because the second tuner failure. The new 510 I got I have had no issues with it. Perhaps they finally learned from their mistakes.

11. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    they must do something look at the fans on rems they are a;ways clean so they atleast clean it up :lol:

12. dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer Legend

Sep 11, 2004
    Ok, so they sring for three bucks to buy a can of compressed air that will clean out 30-40 fans and crevices on the units.

The last retailer I worked for, I put in at least two or three (well almost put in, replaced with new and sent the others back to E* again) that still had programming recorded to the hard drive. So I for one in my opinion beleive they could stand to hire more competent people or spend 2-5 more minutes per unit.

13. Pils

Pils AllStar

Sep 20, 2004
    I talked with a higher up when I got my refurbs and he said everything is replaced like the fan, case, etc except the motherboard is the same and the hd is the same. If it powers on an locks a signal, send it out. Most problems occur after hours of use so they never account of catch it, just ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.