My 2nd response from LIN TV (WTNH)!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Rockywwf, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    CT
    I got the generic canned response from this woman then I replied back and called her out on the copy and pasted response from her. I also told her I wanted a waiver because it is unfair that I cannot get an HD signal at my house.

Here it is:

Good afternoon Mr. ******,

Forgive me for not getting back to you sooner. I can not speak for any other station with regards to how or why their HD signal is available on DirecTV. As for our stations, we have been negotiating with DirecTV for some time and are hopeful that we will reach an agreement but I do not have a target date for when that might happen. A waiver is not an option because you live within the WTNH service area and are not eligible for an out of market signal. You will be able to receive our HD signal once DirecTV reaches and agreement with LIN Television.

Thank you,

Judi Mickmac
    Program Manager
    WTNH/WCTX
    phone - 203-784-8944
    fax - 203-752-1001
    Judi.Mickmac@wtnh.com

I urge anyone in Connecticut who is disappointed at the LIN owned WTNH to send an email to the above contact and voice yourself about them not having WTNH HD signal for DTV customers.

2. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    Unfortunately that's a story heard too many times. I had that problem back in 2006 before we got our locals in HD. Couldn't get several of them. Protracted discussion with WHP led no where. They gave the same reason.

But... I can see where they're coming from. They don't want you to tune to the national channel, because you'll stop watching their station to watch the national station in HD.

I'm not saying that they're right for not giving you a waiver, but it's the same excuse given time and time again.

3. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    It'll probably be awhile for any LIN station. Suddenlink the cable company in Austin, TX and Albuquerque, NM dropped LIN when they demanded $4.20 a month per subscriber to let Suddenlink carry them.

From LIN:
    “Local broadcast stations are among the most important channels cable operators provide,” Gregory Schmidt, LIN TV executive vice president digital media, said in a prepared statement Monday. “Suddenlink charges its customers a fee for local broadcast stations and our stations deserve a fair share of that, so we can continue providing the premium news, sports, entertainment, and other local programming that is most important to our viewers.”

I always thought advertising paid the bills.:lol:

4. TMullenJr

TMullenJr Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    I've been fighting with Lin & WTNH for 2 years about getting a waiver. I've finally given up and will be installing an antenna on my roof to get WABC from NYC. Once the antenna is online, I will not be watching anything on WTNH anymore.

Their loss.

5. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    CT
    I tried 2 different antennas and no dice. I'm also done with WTNH and LIN! Now my wife will be the only viewer. She watches one soap opera on there everyday.

6. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    don't they have to prove that you can obtain their signal? just saying that you're within their broadcast market seems hardly fair since signal strength depends on so many variables.

where i lived previously you paid a deposit of $50 and the station sends out a technician who measures the signal strength at your location and if it's below a certain threshold you get your deposit back and they give you waiver (no questions asked). If it's above the threshold you loose your deposit and get no waiver.

7. bluedogok

bluedogok Godfather

Sep 8, 2006
    Time Warner is the cable company in the City of Austin, the SuddenLink/LIN issue was for the suburb of Georgetown on the north side of Austin. They dropped the LIN NBC affiliate here for the NBC affiliate in Temple (about 40 miles north of Georgetown) about a week after they pulled the plug on the LIN signal.

We do not have the LIN-owned NBC affiliate HD signal here on Direct either, I do get it OTA though. There has been talk of LIN trying to sell the Austin station, I wish it would happen.

8. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson New Member

Apr 11, 2008
    i just sent a note to Ms. Micmack expressing the same frustration. any update on when WTNH might see high def for DirecTV or Charter customers?

9. crzychrisj

crzychrisj Cool Member

Apr 11, 2007
    The best option for me in this situation has been to never watch anything on WTNH until they get their heads out of their a$$es and provide us with their HD signal.

There's plenty of stuff on other channels to avoid anything on channel 8. If they want the big advertising bucks then they can make a deal so we can watch them. I've decided against going out of my way to get their signal. IMO it's not worth it.

And their cop-out excuse about local advertising being overrun by Directv's advertising is crap. I don't see any Directv-placed ads on the other locals here in CT. Plain and simple, if they don't let us see their HD signal, they lose advertising $$ anyway.

10. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Don't blame the Program Manager too much. She probably would love to have the DirecTV viewers.

11. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    They don't HAVE to do anything. Alternatively, they could do what KRXI FOX (Reno/SF) did to me several years ago, simply lie. They said they sent someone to my address to check the signal and it was "adequate." Unfortunately, as a teacher I am off in the summer, and on the day they claimed to have tested the signal, I was painting my house. Yep, I was out in the front yard all day for several days. NO ONE EVER came out check any signal of any kind!

12. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Maybe I'm missing the obvious here. Wouldn't it actually be more effective to talk to the advertisers? Let them know that since LIN seems to be dragging their feet on getting DirecTV carriage, their advertising dollar would be better spent at a station that you actually watch........

13. kog

kog Mentor

Jul 11, 2007
    Probably too many advertisers to get in touch with. Think it'd be more effective to make sure the research companies like Nielsen know that no one with DirecTV in those regions can get those channels so they can adjust the viewership numbers accordingly.

14. Rockywwf

Rockywwf Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    CT
    That sounds like a great idea! I am going to definitely make that call!

15. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Or you could complain to DirecTV. It seems there are two sides to the negotiation...perhaps the offer isn't enough.

16. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    This is what I have been saying for a while and have done. You need to hit them where it hurts, in their bottom line. All they are about is money(as most businesses are). Hurting their bottom line is really the only way to affect change with them.

In a response to me, a while ago, Directv had said they had offered the same package to WTNH, as the other affiliates, but that wasn't good enough for them. That is the problem with LIN, for some reason they think they are entitled to more money that other affiliates, in a given DMA.

If EVERY other HD affiliate in a given DMA is onboard with Directv(which is now the case in CT), then it's most likely NOT Directv's fault.

17. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    It's not about "fault". It's about the value that DirecTV and this affiliate have placed on their programming. DirecTV is offering less than the affiliate is asking. If DirecTV wanted the signal they could pay the asking price. I'm not saying they should, but they could.

18. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Technically, they can, but, they really can't. If they do, they set a precedent that will cost them(and ultimately us the customer) far too much, down the road, when the rest of the affiliates want the same amount.

The bottom line is, IMO, until LIN accepts the reality that they are of no higher value than any other major affiliate, and accepts the Directv offering, this won't get resolved.

19. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    The problem is that other providers are falling into line.

Cox, MetroCast, E*, FIOS, Comcast.......all have made agreements.

Lin waited long enough for someone to cave and then others start to follow.

Unfortunately Directv will eventually have to give in. I hate the fact that sooner or later it will cost us more for our subscriptions.

Mike

20. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    While this is true it is the parent company, LIN, that is causing the problem. My NBC is a LIN station and it badly wants on DirecTV but the bosses (LIN) say no. LIN has been terrible with everybody for a long, long time and only now starting to get agreements, 5 years later. I would have to think there is some hope for DirecTV since LIN actually signed with Dish and Charlie isn't exactly known for opening the wallet.

But frankly if LIN wants something outrageous like $4 a sub then frankly I hope I never see my NBC on DirecTV. I'll swing my antenna around to get NBC from another market in protest.