1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 508 works great when it's not used as often

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Chris Blount, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm not trying to start a big war but I've been noticing something very interesting lately.

As many of you know, last November I switched all of my main programming to DirecTV. I still retain my Dish Network subscription with the Superstation package only (no main programming package or locals).

When I had the "Everything Pak" on Dish, I was recording several shows a day. The 508 was fairly stable but would reboot itself 3 or 4 times a month while watching any given program. Sometimes, recordings would even disappear from the hard drive although that was very rare.

Now I only record about 8 shows per week on the 508. What's really interesting is that since November, the 508 has not rebooted or lost any recorded shows. Whenever I use it now, it works flawlessly.

This makes me wonder about the Dish software in general. Do you suppose that, at least for the 508, the Dish DVR software is less tolerant to heavy usage? This could explain why some people have more problems than others.

Anyway, just an observation on my part. This has been talked about before but I never really experienced it for myself. I guess common sense would dictate that the more you put any software package to the test, the more likely you are to find bugs.

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    War mode on... :D

I record between 1 and 4 shows on both of my 508s every day, and have no problems with either one of the receivers rebooting, losing recordings, or anything else. The only glitch that I've had was when I swapped out the blue smartcard for the new yellow one in one of them last month. That one temporarily wiped out my timers, but somehow all but one of them restored themselves. Other than that, my 508s have worked flawlessly.

3. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    The heavy use angle might explain people like me. E doesnt appear to do much testing, heavy use might slip thru the cracks...

4. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    I usually record one or two shows per day, but when I went on vacation in February, it was over the first HBO preview weekend in quite some time. So, I set my 508 to record 3 events on Friday, about 8 on Saturday, and again about 8 on Sunday. For the rest of the week it was the usual 1-2 per day. No problems (unless you count the one event I mistakenly set for HBO Latino when I'm not fluent in Spanish) with any recordings or lost recordings.

Does that qualify for heavy usage?? In over a year, I have never had a timer not start a recording, nor have I lost any recordings.

5. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    I've only lost one recording with both of my 508's in the past 18 months, and that occurred because I was flipping between the recording / an old recording / program guide (not an excuse for that to happen but ...)

I have noticed that my family room 508, which is over 90% full, has required more reboots lately, perhaps 2 to 3 per week. Perhaps there is a link betweena full drive and less stability?

6. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Chris, I would think the increased stability of the 50X series OS software would have more to do with it. Maybe you jumped too soon. I have had zero problems now for a few months.

Keeping the drive less than 90% full is a great idea. The same practice is normally applied to professional HD recorders...they just have fewer problems with some breathing room in the file system. I guess that makes sense, any PC or Mac runs better when the HD has some extra room, too.

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I don't know. I was only recording 3-4 shows a week on mine, and my mom recorded her two soaps on her and both of the 508s were unstable. I never gave the thing a real workout, since I was afriad of what might happen. But since I don't have that thing anymore when it comes to times like tonight/tomorrow, I have 15 shows on my To Do List to record in the next 12 hours. On Tuesdays, pretty much from 10PM to 4AM both tuners are always recording. No worries.

8. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Put my 508 in the "rock solid" category. I haven't had a single problem with it with the exception that caller ID doesn't work, but then the phone calls we get are only for our 2 teenage daughers. :lol: I'm sure I'll have the same good luck when my 921 arrives. Hey! Wait!! I think it's the Fed Ex guy at the door with my 921 right now. . .

9. hikerak

hikerak AllStar

Jan 8, 2003
    I agree, I bought my 508 last February and I love it. I have never lost a recording and the only time I have pixelation or reception problems is after the installer installs a dish. (I just got the SuperDish. I will have to tweak it. 70-75 on the local sat. 100-115 on the others) I have to say my 508 has been very solid.

Not to start a further war, except for the namebased recording thing, I prefer the 508 software to my buddies tivo. I think it is quicker, easier to read and more intuitive. This is probably because I didn't start with the TIVO. I on't kow... But I do know I no longer am jealous of his Dtv +tivo...

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.