My biggest complaint with VOOM... and there's good things too!

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by Sonnie Parker, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 29, 2002
    I've read a lot of complaints about VOOM... mostly equipment problems or inferior PQ but the one that gripes me the most is channel scrolling.

I don't have Va-va-voom (only HBO) and I can't get any of my digital locals so when I'm scrolling I have to go thru all those unsubscribed channels and I'm not much on scrolling through the guide and neither is my wife. We'd rather scroll thru the actual channels.

My number one feature request is to allow the unsubscribed channels to be skipped.... just like with E*... you can choose SUBSCRIBED CHANNELS or FAVORITES LIST (on some E* receivers more than one FAVORITES LIST) to scroll thru.

Not only would it be nice to skip the unsubsribed channels but also those that are not on my favorite list.

Surely this has got to be a major gripe for many subscribers... especially those that can't get their mapped locals and don't have all the extra movie channels.

As far as equipment problems or PQ... so far I'm pleased. HD is very good. Not as good as HDNet maybe but still very good and SD (with my setup anyway) is hands down better than E* (I am extremely pleased with SD PQ). Even the stretching that VOOM does on the SD channels (while in Native resolution) is superior to my Toshiba 65" RPTV and it has always been considered to be one of the best stretch sets.

It's seems like we have a lot of upgrades ahead so maybe this will be one of those I can look forward to.

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I'm satisfied with what Voom is doing, but I, too, look forward to future enhancements as well. Unlike E* and D*, Voom is serious about adding new HD channels. After all, it's their bread & butter.

I'm glad I got on board for the ride.

3. bryan27

bryan27 DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru

Apr 1, 2002
    Sonnie, if you're not getting any local channels request a larger antenna. V* always installs the little 15mi range antenna first, if it doesn't work you can request a larger antenna be installed (I think there are two different ones). You can also buy your own antenna I have the largest UHF antenna Winegard makes, 2 FM Traps, and a 36dB Radio Shack preamp. I receive 5 out of 7 locals from 46 miles away and two of the 5 aren't upto full power yet.

Speaking of local channel maps. When mine was installed they put in the wrong map. I have a Zenith OTA STB that I was using before the V* install, so I knew which stations I could receive. When the wrong map came up my installer requested that it be changed. It has now been 6 days and it hasn't changed (it was supposed to change the next day). For 4 days I have been trying to get a hold of customer service and have tried sending a message from the V* site to no avail :(

I use my Favorite list as a way to get rid of the channels I don't subscribe to. Once set up you just need to use FAV button to get the guide, otherwise you would push the VOOM button, and then the OK button to get the guide.

4. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    They gave me a fairly decent antenna in the Wineguard SensarII which reaches out to 45 miles but none of my OTA digitals are broadcasting at full power (only 1 or 2 kw's right now) so no antenna is gonna work for those. Their signal only reaches out about 10-15 miles from their tower. I have a CM1162 with a CM amp which covers 60 miles UHF plus whatever the amp adds for mileage but still can't get anything. Once they start broadcasting full power I plan on having VOOM install the OTA they provided and if it doesn't work they have already told me they'd install a better one. I'm thinking the CM4248 with a CM7777 amp will do the trick nicely.

We're not much on scrolling thru channels using the guide... we'd rather scroll using the full picture screen.... you know... just like normal channel surfing. We're kinda in that habit for whatever reason. I've never had to hit VOOM + OK to get to the guide... I just hit GUIDE on my remote. Of course I don't have a VOOM remote yet. My remote is a MX-700 with a downloaded VOOM file. Whoever programmed it must have made the GUIDE button from the VOOM FAV button.

I've been having e-mail conversations with Wilt Hildenbrand of VOOM and he states they are working on eliminating unsubscribed channels. This would be a good start to my gripe. I'd be very happy to get at least that fixed. No other service that I know of, cable, Dish, Directv, none of those make you scroll thru unsubscribed channels when viewing a full screen picture.

5. jackienopay

jackienopay Cool Member

Dec 18, 2003
    You can. Just read through the manual/pamphlet that came with your receiver. Once you program in your favorites, you can scroll through ONLY the favorites by pressing one of the color buttons (I think it's the green button). Similarly, you can scroll through JUST HD by pressing another color button (Yellow I think)

6. bryan27

Apr 1, 2002
    We have one such station here that is 4.5Kw at 5 miles away and I occasionally get a lock on it. It is so highly compressed that the audio rarely decodes. The installer was telling me that another install couldn't get the audio either. There is another station 18 miles away that he tried for hours to receive at another install I told him the station went off the air months ago :(

I have found that at 45 miles a station needs to transmit at least 150Kw, and since most DTV stations are using directional antennas the direction needs to be sent in your direction. That's why I don't get our local ABC because it points the directional antenna away from me.

7. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    Hmmm... I'm not at home to try this but thought I did and it only worked while in the guide. Are you saying that this will allow you to scroll thru the favorites of the full screen picture of each channel? I thought VOOM had acknowledged this was a problem and there was no way to skip over unsubscribed channels while viewing a full screen channel. Either way I would hate to have to press buttons each time to be able to do this. The unsubscribed channels should be eliminated automatically from viewing unless they are offering a free preview (just like E* and D*).

bryan27... I have a feeling that this will be my problem as well... the broadcasters antennas will be pointed in the wrong direction. There's a good chance I may never get a couple of my OTA digitals. I suppose somewhere down the line when they finally do away with the analog stations that if we are unable to receive the digitals the local broadcasters will have no choice but to give us a waiver.

8. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I put all my subbed Voom HD channels in my fav list. That's all I care to watch on Voom. If the regular SD channel offerings ever become fairly comprehensive, I may make Voom my primary provider, and downgrade my E* subscription to HD and Locals only.

Have a nice day. :)

9. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    Hey Nick... but when you are surfing thru your channels are you surfing using the guide or a full screen picture of the channel?

10. bryan27

Apr 1, 2002
    Sonnie, e-mail or PM me your general location (nearest town would be fine) and I'll see if there are stations from other areas that are at full power that you might be able to receive. As a broadcaster myself I have access to some really cool databases that will plot directional coverage areas, Although they won't show up on V* right now the new scanning software upgrade that is supposed to come out soon will let you scan for other stations and add them to the locals. It will give you something to look foward to.

11. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    bryan27.... YGM

Thanks!

12. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    i would have to say that voom is not all its cracked up to be. Half of the HD channels are just old movies up converted to HD. Then there are these silly channels like ultra HD and animania which has some really stupid cartoons. The hdnews i mean why watch news in HD i would think it would be just as good in SD its just news after all galleryhd and moovhd arnt worth anything either and the rush and world sport arnt anything worth seeing either just another sports channel to add to the 10 million out there allready. I really think they need to get some better HD channels like hdnet and hdnet movies. THE hd cinema10 could be better they just repeat the same movies all day they need to play newer movies and better ones and not just show the same movie all day thats more like PPV does. voom has potinal but its gonna need better HD channels then it has now.

13. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I would say that Voom is exactly what it's "cracked up to be". If you had done your research as I did, you would have known what you would be getting. If you expected something different, that's not Voom's fault.

I'm very satisfied with my decision, especially since Voom has already added three new HD channels since my June 1st install. I can't complain about Voom at all. I'm getting what I'm paying for and it can only get better.

14. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    I agree that it can only get better and I'm definitely hangin' in there for quite a while anyway. I think in October it's gonna really get good... especially the PQ. It's not that bad right now but I think it could be slightly better. I won't complain about PQ for now and I won't complain about programming because I did knew pretty much what to expect after reading the forums. I was somewhat surprised at SD being better on V* than E* because I'd read so many complaints. Yes... I see a few sparkles all along but they are rare and I see no motion artifacts like E* has. Plus the stretch is better on SD. As far as the features I think those will steadily get better. I think it's evident Voom is listening to their customers and will only make things better all around. I'm happy to be on board for the ride.

My 3 remotes came today via Fed-ex.

15. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    i knew what to expect but i didnt realize they repeat so much i mean im saying why dont they take the channel capitcy and make something worth seeing not stupid like fashion and sports i mean come on sports is sports whats the difference weather its SD or HD yea its better but i mean movies are much better in HD and the sports would be better off in just SD. But what im complaning about is instead of a fashion channel and a art channel that is nothing but some silly computer video stuff that makes no sence niether does the museum channel. what they should do is instead of repeating there HD cinema 10 over and over is show some good movies like some of the other movie channels to do but without the extra shows that are original but im talking like starz does they show movies all the time and encore now what im saying is make HD cinema 10 that way showing good movies but not repeating the same movie all day long and movies that are not HD to begin with most of what is shown on the cinema10 is up converted stuff because movies made back before HD was made well cernitly not HD and they are simply upconverted which i have to say is a waste of bandwith. They need some REAL HD channels like TNT hd which even some of it is up converted. Voom has some good stuff but they also have some bad channels that are nothing but filler channels to say hey we have this many HD channels. i agree they had added more but still they are behind in excellent HD programming i have watched HDnet and HDnet movies and there programming is excellent some is still boring but some is really great and i wish voom would make some more original good programming

16. jackienopay

jackienopay Cool Member

Dec 18, 2003
    :rolling: :rotfl: :thats: !rolling !Devil_lol

17. bryan27

Apr 1, 2002
    Granted the fashion is a bit silly, but there are probably those that like it.

I look at it this way there are 21 VOOM Exclusive channels. 10 of those are movie channels showing 20 different movies a day. Yes, they repeat, the movies aren't new, but when you only have 22,000 subscribers you aren't going to go out and get the latest movies. That is too expensive for the low number of subs. When HBO first started they did the same thing, older movies, an occasional newer one, and repeats worse than what VOOM is doing.

I knew going into it that if I wanted newer movies I would need one of the premium packages. VOOMs movie channels use film masters and the moves have the same PQ as if you were at the theatre. These aren't up converts they are actual film transfers to 1080i. The only way you can get better is to be on the movie set. Even new movies shot in HD are going to look the same as an old pre-HD movie on the movie screen

VOOM has REAL HD channels!!!

301-ESPN HD
    501-Bravo HD
    521-TNT HD
    601-Discovery HD

The only thing VOOM doesn't have is HDNet and HDNet Movies. There are those that have complained VOOM doesn't have INHD and INHDMovies. Considering those are owned by another cable company and aren't for distribution to other channel providers there is nothing VOOM can do to get them.

I'm not sure what people expect for $39.95/mo. Cable, nor D* or E* is going to give you 4 regular HD channels, 10 commercial free movie channels of movies from the 50s-90s in the best quality possible, and 11 filler HD channels till more content comes out. Without the SD channels that is a bargan at $39.95/mo.

Most people getting VOOM don't remember what it was like when TV stations first began HD broadcasts. PBS was the only one airing HD content and it was 3 90 minute segments over and over for several years. IMHO we've come a long way, and VOOM has the most HD.

If one wants more HD then get the $79.95/mo Va Va VOOM package.

18. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I whole heartedly agree with your comments, Bryan.

While E* and D* have virtually 'stagnated' with respect to their HD channels, Voom seems to be moving along nicely with the expansion of their HD offerings. As far as the "old" movies complaint a few here have made, many of these movies I have never seen so they are 'new' to me. I have the lower tier "Voom" package, and consider 20 different movies in HD every day a bargain at the price. I am seriously considering bumping my subscription up to "Va Va Voom" at some point.

OTA locals are 60-70 mi. away and will probably not be an option for me because I live in an apartment. Even though I have an unconvered patio, I don't think mounting a 50' tower with a high-gain antenna within my approximately 11' x 8½' "exclusive use" area is going to be practical, even though I believe I can technically do so and stay within OTARD guidlines. I already have three dishes mounted on a single pole within my patio space.

That means that regardless of how comprehensive Voom becomes in the future, I will still need E* (or D*) to get network programming. The alternative would be to buy a house, which, at age 65, is something I really don't plan to do.

19. bryan27

Apr 1, 2002
    I here you Nick. I just started painting my house today and went with the better 15 year paint. Next time it needs painted one of my nieces or nephews will be living in the house.

I see your near Brunswick. Have you thought about using a Bow-Tie antenna like the Winegard PR-8800? It has a 60 mile range, just add a preamp. They take up very little space and you should be able to receive some of the Jacksonville stations.

When I got VOOM I canceled D*. I don't get ABC or UPN for the moment, but I'm willing to live with without them for awhile.