My Brand New Sony AVR...gone already!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by Rich, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I ordered the new Sony AVR (1070) Saturday and got it Sunday. Pretty quick! That's the only good thing that happened.

I have a Sony AVR, a 1010 model, that kept switching inputs randomly. I had hoped the new AVR would put an end to that, but all I got were more headaches. Of course it had the same problem, I kinda figured that would happen. I really think it has something to do with the 4K Sammy, I just don't know why. After I got the AVR hooked up, took me just a few minutes, I spent 3 hours trying to get all the HDMI inputs to work. Ended up with two port failures...they just put out nothing, whether that's a failure not, I really don't know. Then the random switching began. I also quickly noticed a degraded picture and nothing I did with the AVR brought my usual good picture back. Finally used the TV's remote and found the picture setting had been changed. By the AVR, I have to think since I never touch the TV's settings.

I know I could have shut the HDMI control to off and the new AVR would have worked, but between the HDMI port problem and the random switching I got fed up.

After 3 hours I gave up and took it to the UPS store and sent it back to Amazon. I think I'll just live with the old AVR for a while longer. I did get the ARC function to work with the new AVR, now I know how it's supposed to work but it doesn't on the old 1010. The instructions to get it to work are in the manual, but it just doesn't work.

Anyhow, I'm done with AVRs for a while.

Rich

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Don't give up yet!! :)

Over the last few months I've had a Harman Kardon AVR3600 & AVR3700, looked hard at a Denon 4200 and got the Onkyo NR757 I have kept.

I have a selection of AVRs in the house as I've gotten too lazy to play 'dodge the scammers' on Craigslist! I've got in order of age:
    Harman Kardon AVR274
    Denon S1313 (?)
    Denon S900W
    Harman Kardon AVR3600
    Onkyo NR757

Maybe I should switch them in and out just for the halibut!! :)

3. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    I gave up on Sony long ago when I had a Receiver, CD changer, Minidisc and double cassette crash and burn on me. Since I still into the old stuff, I replaced them with Tascam stuff I got from eBay and never had an issue with those. Since I record at home (I'm a singer) I used those now and then.

4. Jbdaws

Jbdaws New Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Get you a Yamaha bro I picked up a rxv781 a couple weeks back. It's got all the latest Atmos, Dts:X, all the dsp modes you could ask for I couldn't be any happier. It sounds amazing no matter what I throw at it, Blu-Ray, Music, Directv etc. Passthrough works perfectly and this thing runs so cool.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Your problem wasn't getting an avr. It was getting a Sony.

Long story short, look at Yamaha or Denon. Skip everyone else especially Sony. Is there a model in sonys line that's good? Probably but it's only their high end stuff I'd even consider looking at and even then, bang for buck has never really panned out against Yamaha and Denon for me. Their entry level stuff has never competed well with Yamaha and Denon. (Some people also like Pioneer and HK which are ok to.) the only problem I ever have with my Denon is it just won't die and make me upgrade. Works as good today as it did over 10 years ago when I got it! :lol:

1 person likes this.
  6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I gotta agree on the Yamaha and Denon. Both are high quality brands. I have two Yamaha AVR's and a Pioneer. I like the Pioneer for its 4 HDMI inputs, but oyherwise it doesn't measure up to the Yamahas.

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yamaha definitely builds good AVRs, but I find them harsh to my ears. :(
    Denons are all about 'flat'. They are excellent and their EQ system is wonderful, but I prefer a 'warmer' sound. Which led me to...
    Harman Kardons over the years. Hard to beat the sound quality they produce, and up to the next to last year they produced AVRs, they were all sold performers with a solid build. Alas, HK got out of the AVR business as their last year of production units were not very good.
    Ended up with Onkyo which is on par with the HKs for audio from movies/shows but not quite as good as HKs for music.

For me the Onkyo is the right product, but I would consider Marantz as potentially a choice as they are a bit sweeter than the Denons from reviews/comments I've seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What I really want is an AVR that has something like the older Sony AVRs' HDMI1, HDMI2, etc on the remote. I really don't like the way the remotes are configured on most of the AVRs I've looked at. Even the Sony 1070 has only dedicated buttons on the remote. I know I could change the names of the dedicated buttons so they come up as something else on the AVR's screen but that seems like settling too.

Rich

9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Rich, that seems to be the way things are going to be going forward. I don't think I've seen any AVR remotes that do what you want these days.

That's part of the reason I got a Harmony One years ago, and more recently replaced it with the Harmony Elite. Set up devices and activities that I name the way I want and then not worry about the rest of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What model and brand TV are you using that Yamaha with? I ask because both of the Sony AVRs I have will work perfectly with a Panasonic plasma but not with the Samsung JS8500 4K set. The problem must be caused by the TV, I think (and I've spent a lot of time pondering this). Both of the Sony AVRs I own do the same thing when hooked up to the JS8500 and the Sony 1070 did the same thing yesterday. The only constant in all this is the JS8500.

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I understood that when I ordered the 1070. I thought it was worth trying. I did try a Denon earlier this year and that didn't work correctly either.

Read my earlier post about dedicated buttons on this thread. I've seen some reviews online complaining about the dedicated buttons, specifically the Onkyo 800 AVR that is too big for my entertainment rack. This is the first time I've had any real issues with any Sony AVR and I've had several. Seems really odd to me that the Sonys don't work correctly with the JS8500 and they work perfectly with my plasmas. I don't know what to make of that.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had one Yamaha and it was really bad. I got it at a Costco, that might be why it stunk. On your 757, do you use a port for USB or CDs and do they put out video? I could not get that 1070 to put out video (or audio) on ports labeled USB or CD (the CD port had another designation beside the CD don't remember what it was). I did get all four devices to work but none would work on those two ports and I would have had to use an ugly front panel HDMI port to use all four devices. All in all, it would have been "settling" to keep it and I just don't like settling for something.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That just makes me want to avoid a new AVR. I don't really need one.

Rich

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    The 757 has 8 HDMI ports, 7 on the back and one on the front. I'm using them all. I don't use the USB port at all so have no idea what it supports though the manual is available online if you'd like to peruse it.

As to you later comment about not needing a new AVR, well I didn't either. I could and did have my HK 3600 connected just fine with some creative cabling. Combination of the 4 HDMI inputs on it, a 4-port HDMI switch and using the 4K HDMI ports on the TV. I could have continued using it as I could put the 4K sources (FireTV box & Dish Hopper 3) HDMI direct to the TV, opticals to the AVR. And since the difference between DD+ and DD to my ears isn't much, it worked fine

If I got a 4K bluray player I would have to cable differently with it, but still would have been doable and even had support for the more advanced audio codecs from bluray.

I just chose to upgrade.

Lloyd from the Pixel

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The USB port on the 1070 was an HDMI port. I thought it would work with any HDMI input. Or was there a problem with the AVR itself? I have no idea what to expect from these things. I'll let things calm down for a couple weeks and reevaluate then. I did not enjoy yesterday at all.

I will say this: Those banana plugs are a tremendous time saver as are the wire numbers/letters on my speaker wires. I put the old AVR back in just a few minutes. I buy the wire numbers/letters at our Home Depot or Lowes in the electrical department.

Rich

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Not sure exactly what you're looking for on the remotes, but my Yamaha has buttons for the HDMI inputs (all 5) and 6 over AV inputs (see picture below).

Before your next purchase, you might want to download the user's manual to see if it has what you're looking for or even Google images of the unit you're thinking about buying.
    [​IMG]

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I do download the manuals each time I buy an AVR. I knew the Sony was gonna be problematic concerning the remote, but I did want to try it. The mistake I made was not finding someone with a Sammy JS8500 who was running a Sony 1070 (or any Sony AVR). Both my older Sony AVRs work perfectly with the Panny plasmas and that fact should not be ignored. If they work with other TVs, why not the JS8500? I have only the JS8500 and my plasmas to use for comparison, but I know the Sony AVRs work correctly with Sony TVs and others. What is there about the JS8500 or is it all the Sammy 4Ks? I have no way to know and can only hope someone with a similar Sammy reads this thread and report his experiences with Sony AVRs. I cannot believe this is an anomaly.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Installing the Sony 1070 caused my JS8500 4K TV to reset to factory defaults! I did not realize how many small tweaks I had done. I'm in the process of resetting all the controls now. I know I've often written that the set was good to go out of the box, but I must have tweaked it to a larger extent than I realized.

On the plus side, my Info button on the remote works again, I must have shut it off...

The resetting of the TV leads me to an even stronger belief that the JS8500 is at the heart of my problems.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    For whatever reason, Amazon only has a couple 4K Yamahas for sale. I did find one with a similar remote. Thanx. I gather your's is not a 4K AVR?

Rich

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    No. It is about 3 years old. We also don't have any 4K TVs, so not an issue yet.