My D* deal, HR 20 vs 21, new customer vs. movers advantage

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Wildblue, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildblue

Wildblue Mentor

Mar 20, 2008
    Alaska
    I just signed up for DirecTV installation. Interesting run so far, let's see how it turns out.

Installer is coming Tuesday, and bringing **BOTH** HR-20 and HR-21 models, so that my wife and I can choose. If it weren't for the OTA thing, I'd pick the HR-21 in a heartbeat. As I understand, the only other real difference is recording time, yes? (not sure HOW LARGE a hard drive difference) I'd prefer black, too. I would really like the HR-21 PRO model, but couldn't swing the large costs that wouldn't be included in a new installation deal.

In Alaska, though, I think we only get PBS and ABC in HD from DirecTV right now. (still get them from D* in SD) On my current antenna, I also get NBC-HD and CW-HD, so I guess if I go with the HR-21 I'd be losing those channels in HD. (or, I guess I could switch the TV input to antenna when I want to watch those, but it's annoying to not have it all integrated into one unit)

I just moved to Alaska, was a previous DirecTV user in my last house, and have been shopping between Dish and DirecTV's Mover's Advantage, since I moved. My D* service was suspended while moving. Well, while I was moving into my house, unpacking, etc, (which took a while) DirecTV apparently decided to just restart my service, even though I contacted them telling them not to, because I wasn't ready yet. They charged me several months, before I figured out that they had. Nice... called D*, and they took off the charges.

So, in shopping around, D* customer retention first offered me two HR-21's for $99 plus $19.95 shipping and handling, $10/mo off the bill for 12 months, and 3 months of Starz and Showtime for free. Not bad. I called back to check on the deal and probably take it, and the 2nd retention rep said NO, the deal wasn't $99, it was $199 plus the other stuff. Not as good, so I continued shopping. Called back to check one last time, and the new rep tells me, "oh yeah... we don't even offer DirecTV service in your zip code. Sorry, we'll cancel your DirecTV account." Okay, whatever... that makes it clear.

So talking to a local installer, Dish had some equipment costs, but they're installing DirecTV in my house now for $217.95, with two HR-21's, two dishes, (Alaska) two SWM switchers, and all hardware. I get an instant $99 rebate, $20 rebate if I sign up for paperless billing, and ***$28*** off the monthly bill for a year. Still get the 3 free months of Starz and Showtime.

Wow, much better deal! Let's hope it all turns out okay on Tuesday! I'm open to input on the HR-20 vs. HR-21, from you guys.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Except for the color and OTA, the HR20's and HR21's are virtually identical.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    That pretty well sums it up. Recording time is essentially the same. There will be an external OTA tuner for the HR21 (the AM21), it is in testing now and can be pre-ordered from a couple of on-line dealers but is not actually available today.

The HR20 series are silver, the HR21 series are black.

Carl

4. jmerrey

jmerrey Cool Member

Feb 18, 2007
    i'll be very interested to see if the installer actually shows up with both units for this taste test...

5. Apr 1, 2008 #5 of 11
    Wildblue

Wildblue Mentor

Mar 20, 2008
    Alaska
    Thanks, fellas, that confirms the research I've done here on the site. Had a talk with the wife tonight about which way to go, and I'm thinking I'm going to do the HR-21's. We'll see if anything changes that tomorrow.

Keeping the fingers crossed for tomorrow's installation.

6. Apr 1, 2008 #6 of 11
    Wildblue

Wildblue Mentor

Mar 20, 2008
    Alaska
    Oh, yeah, and would love to have a referral credit, so if anybody wants to send me their D* account number via private message, I'll tell them that you referred me so we both can get $50.

7. Apr 1, 2008 #7 of 11
    Wildblue

Wildblue Mentor

Mar 20, 2008
    Alaska
    Installer arrived this morning. He ran back for another ground pole to mount my 2nd dish, (being in Alaska, you need two to get **ALL** HD channels, and they both are **2 meter** dishes!) so I've got a minute to post. Awesome installer, so refreshing to get someone that really knows what they're doing and can appreciate my setup.

As expected, not everything's according to plan/promises. Local saleswoman promised that she'd send out two HR-20's ***AND*** two HR-21's, so I could choose. The warehouse apparently is saying, "you get what you get..." so they only sent two HR-20-700's with the installer, and they both are refurbished. I've been waffling about which way to go, since there's plusses and minuses--more hard drive record time, and I want black, but OTA would be nice, it's here now, etc. Since they're the 700 model, though, they only have digital optical audio, not optical AND digital coax.

So I'm thinking I'm going to take the HR-20's that are here in hand, even though they're refurbs. Still not sure, though.

Also was promised a SWM switch, since I have four RG-6 cables from my dish location, but only two RG-6 cables down to my equipment room, with no possibility of running more. Naturally, installer shows up with no SWM--not available here in the Alaska market. We looked into other options to get both DVR's fully up and running, but it looks like I'm going to have to buy a SWM on my own dime. :(

8. Apr 4, 2008 #8 of 11
    Wildblue

Wildblue Mentor

Mar 20, 2008
    Alaska
    Yup... had to order a SWM from Dave. The "cool" news is, I'm now going to be the first private SWM owner in the entire state of Alaska. (state the size of about 1/3 the entire continental US)

Almost all channels are looking great, but there's a couple that are giving me a few fits. I think they're the few left on the single satellite that are going to migrate here in a few months. For one, I don't get HDNet at *ALL*, although I signed up for the HD Extra pack, too.

[​IMG]

9. Apr 4, 2008 #9 of 11
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    No offense to you, but I would advise people against giving out their personal information to folks on the internet.

10. Wildblue

Wildblue Mentor

Mar 20, 2008
    Alaska
    Absolutely... if we help out each other here in the forum with a referral credit, there's no need to do anything more than just give an account number in private. And even then, there's a small risk, of course. Would just depend on whether someone is willing to do that, for the referral credit.

I did get 1-2 PM's about the referral. Will be calling D* to try to make it happen.

11. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Just trying to help - I understand where you're coming from and appreciate what you're trying to do (ie, you're most likely not using the account number maliciously), it would behoove people to think twice before disclosing personal info to a stranger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.