1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My DTV service went out - they can't fix for 5 days!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by eddieb, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2011 #1 of 58
    eddieb

eddieb Mentor

Jul 20, 2007
    Got up this morning and I was getting an error 771A message on both receivers. Checked cables outside and all looked fine. Called DTV and they had me go thru some stuff, they did some tests and resets, and they had me run some diagnostics.

Bottom line is they said they need to make a service call to fix it. He thinks my SWM box went bad. But then he can't get a guy out here until SUNDAY! Today is Tuesday!! I asked him: "So I'm not gonna have any TV for 5 days?" He said sorry but yeah.

Doesn't DTV prioritize service calls and gives somebody like me (service completely out) priority over somebody that has a service call scheduled to add a box, upgrade service, etc.? This is nuts!! I've been a "loyal customer" as they always tell me since 1998. I've never had this kind of thing happen.

Who do I call or email or whatever to get someone out here sooner? Is there a different number I should call, supervisor to ask for, department to reach, etc.? I can't believe DTV has procedures in place where something like this is acceptable to them. Thanks

2. Jan 4, 2011 #2 of 58
    loveshockey

loveshockey Godfather

Feb 24, 2008
    Lancaster, NY
    I would call Retention..

3. Jan 4, 2011 #3 of 58
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Try unplugging and replugging the SWM's power inserter (PI). Typ[ically located in the attic or in some cases behind one of the receivers. After doing so you may find that a simple reboot fixes the issue. I'm just trying to give an alternative to waiting.....

4. Jan 4, 2011 #4 of 58
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Why should they bump someone else to make time for you? What if someone that has one more day of history that calls after you get off the phone and bumps you? When does the me first madness end.

If you need your service restored right now, there are plenty of retailers in the yellow pages that can have someone to your house tomorrow, maybe even today. It's not going to be free though.

5. Jan 4, 2011 #5 of 58
    eddieb

eddieb Mentor

Jul 20, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion, but that's what the service guy already had me try and it didn't work. But I do appreciate your affort in helping me.

6. Jan 4, 2011 #6 of 58
    kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx Legend

Dec 26, 2009
    771A is loss of power to SWM which is either bad LNB or (in most case) the power inserter (inverter whatever you wanna call it) has became unplugged. very very important to look at the PI (Power Inserter) and make sure their is a SOLID Green Light on it, if not, make sure its plugged info power..

Directv Corp doesnt prioritize service calls, I know this part is too late but this is for potential new customers, I ALWAYS suggest signing up with a local retailer, in my case, if ANY and I do mean ANY of my customers EVER have ANY problems I am out within 24 hours to fix such problems, I myself as a business owner/Directv Dealer will get a HEFTY chargeback if my customers are NOT happy.. Directv Corp has millions of customers, its sad to say but they can honestly care less of losing a few thousand because they didnt have time to make service calls happen quicker..

7. Jan 4, 2011 #7 of 58
    eddieb

eddieb Mentor

Jul 20, 2007
    If a doctor or a hospital has an emergency patient come in, do they just tell them to get to the back of the line while they work on the guy with a hang nail that has an appointment??? Of course not.

Most service providers build some buffers in between appointments for those calls that need quicker attention than most of the other ones. Just like hotels always have available hotel rooms even when they are "full". Because Murphy's Law is the rule when it comes to service, so you need to plan accordingly.

I don't expect them to come out today necessarily. But FIVE days from now is unacceptable. I would miss all the bowl games this week and half the NFL playoffs this weekend. Which would be pretty ironic since I paid big bucks to see all the NFL games with Sunday Ticket, but may have no access to the playoff games that are available to anyone with a TV.

8. Jan 4, 2011 #8 of 58
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I had a 771 Error Message and a Directv Installer came out after a week went by and had to put rubber boots on the coax connectors because moisture had gotten into them.

Now everything works fine.

9. Jan 4, 2011 #9 of 58
    eddieb

eddieb Mentor

Jul 20, 2007
    I checked and the PI does have a solid green light on it. The service guy had me unplug it, he did some kind of reset on his end, and then I plugged it back in. Thanks for the suggestion though.

10. YtseJammer1977

YtseJammer1977 Mentor

Oct 29, 2010
    Unfortunately, there is no one to call. Service calls are on a first come, first serve basis, and if they don't have anything until Sunday, it means that all available techs in your area are completely booked until then. Even retention cannot override this.

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well one thing is left.

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    However, if you Establish a Good Relationship with your Installer and get his phone number after giving him a Good Tip then when you have an Emergency you can just call him and see if he is Available and mine are always Available because they know I TIP Good!!!

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    BAD LNB!!!

14. YtseJammer1977

YtseJammer1977 Mentor

Oct 29, 2010
    Just an FYI, the NFL Sunday Ticket only gives you access to regular season games. Playoffs are not available in that package

15. eddieb

eddieb Mentor

Jul 20, 2007
    I realize that. All I was doing was pointing out the irony of the fact that while I paid lots of money for the privilege of seeing any game during the season, some of the most important games, the playoff games, I will miss because of this outage while anyone else with ANY kind of TV will be able to watch them because they are on the networks for free.

16. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yet another good reason to have OTA capability, independent of satellite boxes. If you can receive local OTA stations, (for the playoffs), get whatever antenna you can sling together and have a go. Unfortunately, if you are out of range of OTA, then you really are out of luck, without going to another household.

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I have OTA via an AM21 OTA Tuner and of course an OTA Antenna on the Roof so when my Satellite Reception wasn't working well two weeks ago at least I could tune into my Locals Via OTA until Directv could get an Installer out to fix my Coax Connections.

18. BigBearf

BigBearf Cool Member

May 29, 2006
    I had the 771 error about 4 wks ago on a Saturday night and called D*TV. I have the protection plan and thought that someone would be available within 48 hours.
    I was given a service call date of over 2 weeks for a Sunday visit and when I expressed concern the rep then stated that since we had been talking that day was booked and the next day available was Monday. I went ahead and booked the service call and asked to speak to retention to no avail. I was able to troubleshoot the system and bypassed everything directly to the dish and found that the problem was coming from the dish.

I still had OTA and 2 old HR-10s hooked up so I could watch but not record. The next day when the snow melted the 771 message went away and has only returned with another heavy snow day for about 2 hours.
    The message to me was that I can live without D*TV via OTA and Mac Mini using Plex and ATV2 for Netflix streaming.

I am seriously considering downsizing D*TV and when my committment is up I may can them. I hope other subs voice there concern over inordinately long service calls.

Bigbearf

19. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    With your setup, is it possible to bypass the SWM? You may be able to get some service until they get it fixed. If the LNB is bad you are out of luck.

20. dogbreath

dogbreath AllStar

Apr 26, 2006
    Franklin,...
    Cold weather and snow caused the 771A. I had to replace the cable from the lnb to the house. Do not know what actually failed, cable or connector.