1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Dubious History of Directv On Demand Not Working x6 months

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bowman, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Bowman

Bowman New Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Bangor, Maine
    I have had Directv since it first arrived. I suffered through running internet through the wiring in my house, which actually worked...for a while, then it didn't.

Then eventually the newer receivers had Wifi built-in and my problems faded away - until last Spring (2018) when a new software release revealed overnight a surprise new interface I did not enjoy. On Demand seemed unaffected but then slowly, I would get the little 'not connected' logo and have to go through the reconnection process every day. Then several times a days. Then a reboot would be required and I would have to put the lengthy wifi PW in again. Rinse - repeat. I began calling in June and eventually was told that in September, a software update would magically fix it. Then September came and went, then Oct. Nov.

So, finally, they sent a new Genie base unit (with a date of 2016 on it). That would fix it I was assured. Sure enough, it linked to Wifi and stayed connected. But I could not connect to On Demand! They said: wait 48 hours. At 72 hours: still no On Demand. Reboots or system, routers, etc. and nada.

On a recent call was told that: on December 30th at some time in the morning I would receive a message that my software would be updated and my problems would be magically fixed...again. They also admitted, people were leaving Directv over this issue (for many channels I can use my Apple TV much more reliably). I was most recently told that the software engineers would contact me by EMAIL. Still nothing there, I have to assume this was also a lie. In the interim, they have offered me 30 USD a month discount to stay for 12 months, which I kindly accepted.

But my patience is wearing thin. None of the features that rely on Wifi work, despite the fact I am actually "connected".

Any suggestions or thoughts, most welcome.

0X1104 from Sunday 12/2/18 on an HR54/700, fresh from DTV.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. ctide21

ctide21 New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Have you tried hard wiring the genie with an ethernet cable to rule out all the issues that wifi can present. I have had my share of on demand deciding to not work for any good reason.

3. Bowman

Bowman New Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Bangor, Maine
    I have not tried - as the router is on a different floor of the house now ā€“ and it seems to reliably indicate a constant connection ā€“ oddly the original reason for getting the "new" DVR mailed to me. The lame "apps" (which I never have used) work, presumably reliant on a net connection.
    Their staff seems clueless, other than torturing you with the usual troubleshooting - but they do admit: 1) many are having the same problem. 2) They don't know what it is. & 3) Many customers are leaving.
    A magical December 30th rollout of a supposed update will supposedly fix it all, once and for all.
    I'll believe it when it happens.
    Thank God for Apple TV, it "just works", every time.

Incidentally, for those interested: this is 0X1104 from Sunday 12/2/18 on an HR54/700, fresh from DTV.

4. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I have the same setup with the HR54/700 and on 0X1104 and am not seeing this issue. What kind of router are you connecting to and are you connecting to a 2.5 GHz or 5 GHz frequency? 5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance, whereas 2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds. How far away from your wireless router is your HR54? Do you by chance have a different router you can try connecting to?

5. ctide21

ctide21 New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Even know the connection maybe made data may not be flowing through. Iā€™d you can get your hands on a long Ethernet cable and connect to your router you could rule out the router as the issue.

6. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    With SWM, you don't actually need to run Ethernet to your Genie. Is there any DirecTV equipment near the router or near any Ethernet switch that you have in the house. It doesn't even need to be active equipment. As long as you have a coax cable that can be connected to a DirecTV splitter that is near any hardwired Ethernet, you can make your system hardwired and get off of Wifi.