My experience canceling service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Gregavi, May 31, 2016.

1. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Santa...
    Sorry but I need to rant.

I decided to cancel DTV a couple of weeks ago because the Genie HR34 I was using was failing in several ways too often. Freezing half way through a recorded NBA playoff game or pixelating throughout another game making it unwatchable, and even failing to record yet another game and I had had it.

So I went back to Cox cable who have their new Contour TV2 DVR with voice command among other cool features.

So I call up DTV to cancel and the guy starts into this whole "do whatever it takes to keep the customer from cancelling" routine. As soon as he started I stopped him and said, please, I do not want to listen to you try to keep me from cancelling. I already switched to another service and the more difficult y'all make this, the less likely I'll ever return. After a few more less aggressive attempts to keep me he finally gave up and got the service cancelled.

A few days later I received my "Return equipment" kit in the mail. As soon as I saw the box I said to myself "That box doesn't look big enough". But I figured they knew what they were doing and put the box aside.

The next day I decided to pack up the Genie and mini genie, remotes and power supplies and get it ready to ship back. I open the box to find instructions on the lid of the inner box. Pretty straight forward. Following the instructions, I remove the inner box to access the lower section of the main box where there are 2 Styrofoam slotted boxes to fit the remotes, power supplies and genie mini. Of course nothing fit without "cramming" items into the Styrofoam. Finally got it all in. Now for the inner box that sits in the upper main box. Inside are about 20 of these half dome shaped foam cushions stuck to and evenly spaced around the inside of the box. I said to myself "That's impressive looking, and should do a really good job of protecting the equipment inside during shipping. Of course the DVR didn't fit inside the box with these foam half domes in place. I call up DTV and tell them they sent me the wrong box and what followed was the most incompetent attempt to solve a problem I have ever experienced. Of course the guy first tried to get me back as a customer but I shut that down immediately. He then asked me at least 4 times what the problem was and after explicit detail of the issue, he still had no idea what the problem was. I finally told him I would call back and hung up. The next call didn't go a whole lot better. This time the woman, after I explained the problem to her several times, finally said "Just remove the packing half domes if that will make enough room in the box." I thought it was ridiculous but I went ahead with her suggestion anyway and pulled off the cushions. The DVR BARELY fit inside the inner box. I couldn't believe they would go to that much trouble to design a return box and get the size wrong. Did they not have a DVR in the room when they decided on how big to make the box? And after all this, they ask me why I cancelled their service? What a joke!
    They put packing foam in the box and then tell you to remove it. I guess the foam was important to protect the inside of an empty box but not necessary to protect a delicate piece of electronics during shipping.

It will take a "Magic DVR" to get me back...or at least free NFL Sunday Ticket!

(Photos of the box and the DVR that it's supposed to go inside)
    IMG_2400.JPG
    IMG_2402.JPG
    IMG_2403.JPG

2. CuttySnark

CuttySnark Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm so sorry for your inconvenience.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    the box designed for other type DVR/STB; - just ignore and skip your frustration ... there are many other things in our life to worry

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Take two Aspirin and play with your new Contour TV2 DVR. Like P Smith said, there are many other things in our life to worry about.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Just be glad that you didn't actually have an HR34 and was sent that box.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the OP said they had an HR34. That packaging was designed for the HR44/54.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

7. itguy08

itguy08 New Member

May 10, 2016
    PA
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think these boxes are more robust than we all think. Cancelled FIOS to join DirecTV and the box that they sent for the equipment was equally as bad. Cardboard, no packing peanuts or other cushioning stuff and you just slid the DVR's and boxes in the slats, tape it up and send it back. No padding and barely adequate protection from movement.

Just take pics of the condition and serial #s before sending and send them back. Not your fault if their packing is inadequate.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    well, how much cost it will for you to add peanuts or bubble wrap !? shame of you !

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The receiver in the picture didn't look like a 34 to me. Looked too thin.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    He's not suggesting adding any packing materials. He just said that when he cancelled FIOS there was no packing material of any kind, but sent it as is after taking some pictures.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm suggesting...
    we are become to lazy and excessively cheap .. :(

12. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    Make sure you drop the package off somewhere you can get a receipt, like a post office. DirecTV's return shipping people are notorious for not delivering the equipment quickly, then DirecTV charges you hundreds of dollars for non-return.

13. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Santa...
    Actually, I don't "worry" about much in life. I just had this urge to rant, and to share my experience with people who would appreciate why DTV is losing customers.

1 person likes this.
  14. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    You think D* is losing customers due to its packing materials?

2 people like this.
  15. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Santa...
    Nice try!, If you look at the photo of the DVR inside the box, you can see there is no room for any packing materials. The HR34 (yes it is an HR34) fit in the box like OJ's glove.

I have shipped 100s of packages in my life. I know how to pack a shipping box. In fact, I also know that most shipping companies require 2" of "Cushion" all the way around the item. If you don't provide that, they will likely not honor an insurance claim, assuming you insure it.

Also, I suggested the possibility to the 2 reps I talked to on the phone that maybe they sent me a box that was for a different DVR. I asked them both if there were more than 1 size DVR that they use and they both reacted as if I were speaking a foreign language. These people did not have the ability to understand the problem and therefor had no chance of solving it.

A friend of mine canceled his service about a week before me and they told him they would send a "return kit". After waiting 3 weeks he looked at his bill and they charged him over $100 for not returning his equipment. He called them to tell them he was waiting for the return kit and they asked him if his address was 1234 XXXX St. and he said no. How do they not know what his address is? When they finally did get his address right, he received and envelope in the mail with shipping labels inside. He had to get his own box and package it up to ship.

The point is, the DTV experience has incompetence everywhere. I have no idea who they paid off to get their claimed #1 customer service rating they're always boasting about.

16. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Santa...
    No. Incompetence.

17. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I enjoyed your story and thought it was funny they sent the wrong box and insisted you stuff everything into it rather than send you the correct box.

But at least you got a free box. Dish charges you for a box and postage.

If you haven't figured it out by now, most in this forum don't take criticism of D* very well, even when done in good fun as you did.

1 person likes this.
  18. Gregavi

Gregavi New Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Santa...
    Thanks for noticing mdavej. I'm beginning to understand that.

That is a problem DTV and DISH have. They are not local. If you cancel Cox, they send a guy (or gal) out to pick up the equipment. I'm not saying the cable companies are much better, but in my experience they are better. At least the one (Cox) we have.

19. itguy08

itguy08 New Member

May 10, 2016
    PA
    Why should I? Verizon said they were sending all I needed. Their instructions were very detailed, down to make a point about putting the equipment in face down. It said nothing about adding packing materials.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    just do it - without "why"